Cowboys 2022: The Fix

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post! I love that your plan addresses C and blocking TE. Both areas were liabilities this year. And if we want to run the ball more effectively— we need to upgrade both of those positions for sure

Not sure about moving La’El to LG. I like Steele at swing tackle. I think we should invest a pick in a LG. At #24 we should be able to acquire a decent OG prospect. Or we sign a G in FA and go after C at #24. Either way— we need to shore up the middle of the OL.

I would go after Fangio as well. The DC from Balt is out there now as well. I think either guy would be able to grow the D with Parsons.
I was originally against the idea of La'el at OG; however, for 2022 I think it is likely the best option.

Steele@RT >>>> McGovern@LG
  • Yes, OC in the 1st or 2nd is an option; however, I don't want to depend on a rookie in 2022.
  • Also, interior OL are the best values in free agency and the worst value in the draft.
    • Draft Picks save cap space.
    • Getting a quality Pass Rusher, WR, LT or CB in the draft saves more cap space than getting an Interior OL.
  • Example:
    • Zack Martin: 14M APY
    • Joey Bosa: 27M APY
    • TJ Watt: 28M APY
    • Top Paid Interior OL in the league: 16M APY (contract signed in 2021).
  • For swing Tackle:
    • Josh Ball (Was better LT @ Florida State in 2017 than Steele was playing RT @ Texas Tech in 2020).
    • Keep Ty Nsekhe as insurance because he is cheap (1.75M in 2021).
    • Hopefully they draft an OT before the 4th round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ceedee isn’t built to play the Deebo role. You use TP for that role and put him on the field at same time as a healthy Zeke.
No, that misses the point.

I'm a fan of Pollard, especially as a receiving RB; however,...

Having a legit NFL WR lined up in the backfield forces defenses to make a decision on who will cover him.
- If a CB stays up to cover him, then that CB is basically playing SS if it's a run play.
- If they just use a SS to cover him, then that's a huge mismatch with SS covering Lamb.

The Cowboys often had their top CB (Diggs) up in the box when Deebo was at RB.
- Diggs in an SS role vs the run is a huge advantage for the 49ers.

I'm not suggesting that Lamb should run the ball 10 times per game which Deebo in both playoff games.

With Pollard, they could 'move' him to WR in the off-season and let him attend WR meetings and practice at WR.
- It wouldn't be a permanent position change, but he could be more of a complete WR than his is now.
- He would need to be a complete WR running the full route tree for any chance to draw coverage from a Diggs type CB.
- Pollard has the physical ability and he had good hands in college.
- In the NFL he has dropped some easy passes which is a concern.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good right up, but I dont like coping the 49ers strategies and I'm not a fan of Fangio...dont think he can do what DQ did. I would higher ex-Ravens DC, Don Martindale. IMO, the biggest issue going into the off season is how to account for the 21 FA the Cowboys have... Then you have massive contracts on the books for DAK, Coop, Zeke and DLAW.....not gonna be much money to spend in FA. More cap casualties than signings
I only see 1 big money free agent that they need to retain (Gregory).

I think Kearse is a mid-tier contract guy, not top dollar type.

The 49ers just beat the Cowboys and Packers and the 49ers QB is not very good.

John813

Reaction score
Now there's guys on the FA list I do not have an opinion on due to not watching them.

After jensen there's Kelce, who still is a good center but at 34 years old, what's his shelf life? Or does he even make it to FA?
I've watched Karras and Mancz with Miami. Karras to me is average. Nothing to say he excels at anything but not a huge liability. Mancz was an improvement over Deiter and others, but how low is that bar?

I know Nick Martin is the younger brother of Zach, but he's not an answer or anything over Biadasz.

So, in theory I could agree with signing FA at center/G but I don't think this class is worth much. Add in the Joneses being cheap in FA ever since Carr/Thornton, I could see depth being signed at center, but nothing to say Biadasz job is in trouble. That would come from the draft/surprise growth from Matt F.

To me Dallas has some thinking to do at DE. They got Law still under contract and while his pass rushing isn't in him prime anymore he still provides good run support.
Gregory is a passrushing edge only-to me, is 30 but doesn't have a lot of wear and tear.
I can't see Law being on the roster past 22-23 and Gregory could get a stupid offer in FA. So, once again we could be searching for two new DE's depending on how they want to handle Parsons role. They could hae both RG and DL next year with creative cap work on year 1 for Gregory but is he someone worth doing the restructuring game on?

Add in the offensive line finally showing it's age-Martin is older than Smith while being drafted 3 years later, they will also have to nail draft picks there, all in the while managing a team that still has some big cap hits going through 2024.

But that's another topic.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d be on board with some of your assessment I disagree the defense was good enough the niners scored the first 4 times they touched the ball and when the cowboys needed a stop the defense couldn’t get it . This defense is far from a finished product
Obviously, some draft picks will be on defense.
- My 1st point is that they don't need to force a pick at any position on defense.
- Just draft BPA. They can upgrade TE with 1 pick and still have picks for defense.

My 2nd point was that they'll have upgrades internally just from young players developing.

Odighi, Joseph and Cox will be 2nd year players in 2022.

Joseph gave up a total of -2 yards in his 1st start...

Gregory was playing with multiple injury issues most of the season.

I don't think Gallimore or DLaw were 100% after they returned from injury.

Micah Parsons will be a 2nd year player in 2022.
- I don't think he can get better than he was in 2021 because that would mean that he really is the best defensive player in history.
- However, with a full off-season of knowing what he can do, the D-Coordinator can build the defense around him.

LVE was much better late in the season than early in the season.
- If he returns that gives them LVE & Jabril Cox competing for what is basically 1 position.
- i.e. They play Nickel or Big Nickel on the majority of plays. That means 2 LBs with Parsons being one of them.
- Also, I think they'll play more Dime next season because they have 4 legit NFL CBs. That means 1 LB on those snaps.

starfan1

Reaction score
Obviously, some draft picks will be on defense.
- My 1st point is that they don't need to force a pick at any position on defense.
- Just draft BPA. They can upgrade TE with 1 pick and still have picks for defense.

My 2nd point was that they'll have upgrades internally just from young players developing.

Odighi, Joseph and Cox will be 2nd year players in 2022.

Joseph gave up a total of -2 yards in his 1st start...

Gregory was playing with multiple injury issues most of the season.

I don't think Gallimore or DLaw were 100% after they returned from injury.

Micah Parsons will be a 2nd year player in 2022.
- I don't think he can get better than he was in 2021 because that would mean that he really is the best defensive player in history.
- However, with a full off-season of knowing what he can do, the D-Coordinator can build the defense around him.

LVE was much better late in the season than early in the season.
- If he returns that gives them LVE & Jabril Cox competing for what is basically 1 position.
- i.e. They play Nickel or Big Nickel on the majority of plays. That means 2 LBs with Parsons being one of them.
- Also, I think they'll play more Dime next season because they have 4 legit NFL CBs. That means 1 LB on those snaps.
Well I hope your optimism plays out.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I'm more worried about the culture.

They win 2 games in a row against the NFC East and they think they are king $#&%.

They are all sizzle but no steak. They fold like cheap lawn chairs when challenged.

That is the bigger issue, IMO.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The culture! It starts with Jerry Jones and permeates downward. But does anyone on here expect it to change any time soon?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Like it or not, the Cowboys are not going far until they get a consistent running game.

The defense was good enough if the Offense had shown up vs the 49ers.

Plan Summary:
- Center @ about 2-years, 20M.
- Option of 2 TEs that will be drafted somewhere between the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.
- Coaches that are available.

Hire the 49ers assistant Offensive Line coach...the 49ers have 3 OL coaches...
- The 2 assistant OL coaches have both been OL coaches in college.
- My top choice would be Bill Callahan, but he is the Browns OL coach now.
- The best year for the Cowboys OL in 2 decades was 2014 with Callahan.
- The Cowboys ran a zone blocking scheme in 2016 when Zeke was at his best.
- They run both zone/man now, but not the same outside zone focused scheme as back then.

Alternate Option: Hire ex Rams OL coach Aaron Kromer.
- He was their OL coach when their running game dominated in 2018.

Sign OC Ryan Jensen in free agency.
- Age 31. Pro Bowl this season.
- Alternates: Ben Jones, Corey Linsley
- Cheap Alternate: Nick Martin (Not highly rated, but...)

Move La'el Collins to LG
- Steele is much better at RT than LT.
- Collins does not appear to be an option at LT.
- Tyron's injury issue was not his back/neck.

Draft TE Trey McBride or Jalen Wydermyer.
- Both are considered good blockers and elite receiving TEs.

Sign TE Robert Tonyan (Packers)
- Should not be expensive...coming off a knee injury.
- At least as good receiving as Schultz/Jarwin and a better run blocker than either.
- Alternate option: TE Marcedes Lewis.
- Lewis is old (37) but still a quality blocker and better receiver than blocking TEs like Blake Bell.

Spend some legit time in the offseason designing/practicing plays with CeeDee at RB.
- See 2021: Deebo Samuel & Cordarrelle Patterson
- Having a legit WR in the backfield forces a decision by defenses.
- With Deebo in the backfield, the Cowboys often had Diggs designated to cover him.
- That basically makes Diggs a Strong Safety vs the run which is not good.
- Yes, Deebo is a thicker player. Pre-Draft Deebo 5-11, 214. CeeDee 6-2, 198, but...

Draft a RB before the 5th round.
- Don't let having Zeke on the roster prevent drafting one.
- 2022 is highly likely Zeke's final year with the Cowboys.
- Zeke's salary is guaranteed in 2022.
- Pollard will be a free agent after 2022.

Draft a big, athletic WR in the mid/late rounds.
- Consider a run after catch WR that can plays snaps at RB.

Draft a Left Tackle prospect.

- Don't force a pick, but if a High Upside player is near-BPA at some point, then draft him.

Hire Vic Fangio to replace D-Coordinator Dan Quinn (assuming Quinn becomes a Head Coach).
- He is a proven NFL D-Coordinator and unlikely to get signed away as a Head Coach in the future.
Appreciate your post XWalker

Verdict

Reaction score
In my opinion we need to know who we are losing regarding coaches. That’s probably item #1. If we lose Quinn (and it seems likely that we will) then we MUST find a suitable replacement as DC. I don’t think you can hire a defensive minded coach (QUINN) and make him head coach AND expect him to run the defense too. There is just not enough of the HC to go around to do both.

If you cash out MM and elevate DQ to head coach that’s fine, but you would still need to go find a stud defensive coach to become your DC. Maybe the Cowboys do that and keep continuity on the defense by sacking MM, promoting DQ and promoting internally from the staff to the DC position. That may help the defense but what does it do for the offense? IDK.

MM did a lot of things right this year. He managed the team a lot better than anyone realizes. What MM failed at was stepping in and asserting himself as HC over Kellen Moore when KM clearly needed it. In their defense, I’m not sure it would have mattered, based on the play of some of our stars.

But what we do with coaching is going to matter a LOT in terms of what we do with our players. Callahan likely won’t be available to us, but if he was available I would guess that he would want a different type of player than another OL coach might.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys are going to have enough holes on the team that we should not be forcing picks to try to fill that last hole.

I could see the Cowboys closely evaluating that #24 draft pick. If a really good clear cut player at a critical position is there when we pick, I could see us staying put and making that pick.

On the other hand there are usually only 20-22 first round graded picks in a draft. The Cowboys needs (other than at LT or DT) can usually be found later in the draft. This might be a draft where we move back (especially out of #24) and get some extra picks out of this draft class.

You are probably going to be able to get the same level of player from 25-35 pick range if you are not targeting a specific player or position. What if a team like the Jags offered a 2 and a 3 to move up 8 spots or so? That MIGHT be the right move depending on how players are graded.

For instance you could probably get two of the following with very little drop off in talent from #24. (Center/Guard/WR/RB/LB/Safety). You might even add corner to that list.

If you trade back you also have the ability of leveraging that pick to get a second player at a position that doesn’t make sense in terms of roster composition (QB—cough, cough).

Verdict

Reaction score
Do you think we'll resign Pollard? What's a fair contract?

I think we will want to extend Pollard. I don’t think he should be viewed as a lead back type of player. He should come cheap. I think it is doubtful that we pay to keep him. I think you will see us take a back in rounds 2-4 that will be viewed as Zeke and Pollard’s potential replacement.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys usually “fill holes” in free agency and then try to draft organically. I have no idea what they are going to do this time around. Their cap situation sucks. I don’t know who they can trade or cut to straighten that out.

Restructuring is not the answer. They have to get this right and straighten their cap situation out. Prolonging the cap hit makes it worse on down the road. I don’t know if anyone would take them, or if their cap hit makes it possible but I would be looking to trade one or more of the following:

Cooper
Tank
Martin

They are top 5 contracts in terms of cap hit. I don’t know if their cap situation would allow a trade, or if any team would trade with their contracts.

Pollard

He is an interesting player. He may be viewed as a lead back by someone and his cap number is cheap. If a team offered you a 2nd or a 3rd for Pollard you should take it (3rd is more reasonable). You are going to lose him after this year because you aren’t going to be able to pay him.

Dak’s cap hit is really going to become more problematic as time goes on. Hard decisions are going to have to be made.

Diggs

I would flip him for a first round pick if a team offered it to me. He is smoke and mirrors.

quickccc

Reaction score

Like it or not, the Cowboys are not going far until they get a consistent running game.

Plan Summary:
- Option of 2 TEs that will be drafted somewhere between the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.

- They run both zone/man now, but not the same outside zone focused scheme as back then.

Move La'el Collins to LG

Thanks for Sharing ....

- Rams dominated a Marinelli run defense in playoffs in 2018, but they struggled per run game vs Saints and Pats in that very same playoff games ...
That's not enuff of an endorsement for us to go after him in a lateral position movement.

- I'd prefer a look of return at ex-Cowboys OL coach Marc Columbo who help the team finished 2nd in NFL in Fewest allowed, while finishing 5th in NFL in rushing.
Yet he was not re-signed on as MM strongly insisted on current OL coach Joe Philibin
Plus most OL guys are very familiar and well respected Columbo. Extra Plus Columbo brings fundamentals and intense mentality

- The Zone scheme (especially McCarthy's scheme version at that) and his close ties with Philibin would be lead reason why MM be against Columbo.

quickccc

Reaction score
No……pollard is our Debo Samuel.

but I’m all for give lamb more of a role.

+1
and he has the body frame and strength that Lamb doesn't

Now we need a real freakin' OC that recognizes Pollard as a Deebo like threat, design and scheme Pollard as a Deebo threat
And his talent and physical ability as a receiver in pass game, has been so totally wasted with kellen moore imo,

o_O

quickccc

Reaction score

Plan Summary:

Move La'el Collins to LG

Draft TE Trey McBride or Jalen Wydermyer.
- Both are considered good blockers and elite receiving TEs.

Sign TE Robert Tonyan (Packers)
- Should not be expensive...coming off a knee injury.
- At least as good receiving as Schultz/Jarwin and a better run blocker than either.
- Alternate option: TE Marcedes Lewis.
- Lewis is old (37) but still a quality blocker and better receiver than blocking TEs like Blake Bell.

Spend some legit time in the offseason designing/practicing plays with CeeDee at RB.
- See 2021: Deebo Samuel & Cordarrelle Patterson
- Having a legit WR in the backfield forces a decision by defenses.
- With Deebo in the backfield, the Cowboys often had Diggs designated to cover him.
- That basically makes Diggs a Strong Safety vs the run which is not good.
- Yes, Deebo is a thicker player. Pre-Draft Deebo 5-11, 214. CeeDee 6-2, 198, but...

Draft a big, athletic WR in the mid/late rounds.
- Consider a run after catch WR that can plays snaps at RB.

Draft a Left Tackle prospect.

- Don't force a pick, but if a High Upside player is near-BPA at some point, then draft him.

Hire Vic Fangio to replace D-Coordinator Dan Quinn (assuming Quinn becomes a Head Coach).
- He is a proven NFL D-Coordinator and unlikely to get signed away as a Head Coach in the future.

- If we would consider a vet center to replace Tyler, then it would likely be a 1 year, cheap vet, and i'd questioned if we could get
a quality vet at bargain price.
- Corey Lindsley would be one option, Will be age 31 this year, but you'd go vet one year, draft a top center next year.

- Dunno why some are suggesting Farniok when he has just a handful of snaps (per last Philly game) have no idea if he is a player.
Purely a developmental type project.

- Only reason why i'd considered Collins as a LG, is it may be too much to invest high draft pick immediate starters in just one year and maybe coaches
don't want to chance 2 rookie starts right away.

- But Colllins is a natural OT. and as a maybe more of a LT since he is a natural left hand southpaw
but so long as Tyron remains, and no OL coach tries him in camp with LT reps,, it will remain an unknown at this time.

- Also Collins is a better OT than Steele. i'd want my best OT vs the better edge rushers, not a starter i'd have to scheme-help with the
Bosa's etc.

- We are drafting high regarded interior guy(s) ..just a matter of what round and whose still on the board in according to our draft board.
LB will follow behind interior ...

quickccc

Reaction score

- Cowboys likely to go with Pollard and Zeke for another year- and draft a regarded RB in 3rd rd in 2023 (remember Demarco Murray in 3rd rd?)
The non-explosive Zeke faces a cap casualty situation if he flat doesn't show burst and splash regularly.

- WR - Draft a speedy punt return type in late rounds 5th- 6th - someone occasional over the top speed- and we had among the weakest punt return game in entire NFL..
- Cowboys like Simi Fehoko as that big athletic WR and try to re-tool his routes. Good luck

TE -They are either gonna overpay greatly to keep limited security blanket Dalton Schultz. or go with soft- injury prone Blake Jarwin as the lead while drafting a
another Schultz type in 4th middle rds. we have got to upgrade the poor blocking in this TE unit.

quickccc

Reaction score
4 Keys to Upgrade the run game:

1 Change the OL coach (and run scheme)
2 Change the OC (and run scheme)
3 Upgrade player personnel in the OL (LG, and C)
4 Upgrade TE unit
5 Better Diverse the share reps/snaps with the RBs - (pollard cannot have just 4 carries games)