Cowboys 2022: The Fix

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like it or not, the Cowboys are not going far until they get a consistent running game.

The defense was good enough if the Offense had shown up vs the 49ers.

Plan Summary:
- Center @ about 2-years, 20M.
- Option of 2 TEs that will be drafted somewhere between the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.
- Coaches that are available.

Hire the 49ers assistant Offensive Line coach...the 49ers have 3 OL coaches...
- The 2 assistant OL coaches have both been OL coaches in college.
- My top choice would be Bill Callahan, but he is the Browns OL coach now.
- The best year for the Cowboys OL in 2 decades was 2014 with Callahan.
- The Cowboys ran a zone blocking scheme in 2016 when Zeke was at his best.
- They run both zone/man now, but not the same outside zone focused scheme as back then.

Alternate Option: Hire ex Rams OL coach Aaron Kromer.
- He was their OL coach when their running game dominated in 2018.

Sign OC Ryan Jensen in free agency.
- Age 31. Pro Bowl this season.
- Alternates: Ben Jones, Corey Linsley
- Cheap Alternate: Nick Martin (Not highly rated, but...)

Move La'el Collins to LG
- Steele is much better at RT than LT.
- Collins does not appear to be an option at LT.
- Tyron's injury issue was not his back/neck.

Draft TE Trey McBride or Jalen Wydermyer.
- Both are considered good blockers and elite receiving TEs.

Sign TE Robert Tonyan (Packers)
- Should not be expensive...coming off a knee injury.
- At least as good receiving as Schultz/Jarwin and a better run blocker than either.
- Alternate option: TE Marcedes Lewis.
- Lewis is old (37) but still a quality blocker and better receiver than blocking TEs like Blake Bell.

Spend some legit time in the offseason designing/practicing plays with CeeDee at RB.
- See 2021: Deebo Samuel & Cordarrelle Patterson
- Having a legit WR in the backfield forces a decision by defenses.
- With Deebo in the backfield, the Cowboys often had Diggs designated to cover him.
- That basically makes Diggs a Strong Safety vs the run which is not good.
- Yes, Deebo is a thicker player. Pre-Draft Deebo 5-11, 214. CeeDee 6-2, 198, but...

Draft a RB before the 5th round.
- Don't let having Zeke on the roster prevent drafting one.
- 2022 is highly likely Zeke's final year with the Cowboys.
- Zeke's salary is guaranteed in 2022.
- Pollard will be a free agent after 2022.

Draft a big, athletic WR in the mid/late rounds.
- Consider a run after catch WR that can plays snaps at RB.

Draft a Left Tackle prospect.

- Don't force a pick, but if a High Upside player is near-BPA at some point, then draft him.

Hire Vic Fangio to replace D-Coordinator Dan Quinn (assuming Quinn becomes a Head Coach).
- He is a proven NFL D-Coordinator and unlikely to get signed away as a Head Coach in the future.

Plan looks good. Disagree on TE

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Like it or not, the Cowboys are not going far until they get a consistent running game.

The 49ers defense is very good. They held THE GREAT Aaron Rodgers to 10 points with no TDs. According to people here he is a generational QB too. Only 225 passing yards, and 80 of them came on one play from a blown coverage.

- They run both zone/man now, but not the same outside zone focused scheme as back then.

I said that the other day. Bill would be a great hire. Not sure how many years he signed for at the Browns though.

Move La'el Collins to LG

I agree. Said basically the same thing and someone said that was an embarrassing post. La'el said he's most comfortable on the left side. I believe that's where he played in college. He said that coming back from suspension because Steele was doing so well. Since we basically have no money and a lot of holes to fill for parting FAs, it makes perfect sense to do this. Let Connor walk IF he gets a big offer elsewhere. If not bring him in as a back for the minimum and as a back up.

I'm totally fine with using draft capitol for a good blocking elite TE. Jarwin is still under contract. If Schultz gets a big offer let him walk and do like you said, draft his replacement. We save money there. We need to get back to running the football. The Romo/Dak friendly offense didn't/hasn't gotten us anywhere. Dak is no Brady or Mahomes, but better than a buss driving QB like Jimmy G, so let's get back to smash mouth football where it would benefit Dak.

Spend some legit time in the offseason designing/practicing plays with CeeDee at RB.
- With Deebo in the backfield, the Cowboys often had Diggs designated to cover him.
- Yes, Deebo is a thicker player. Pre-Draft Deebo 5-11, 214. CeeDee 6-2, 198, but...

Sounds like it could work. But looking at their combine stats, I don't know. I thing Deedo is on another level. CeeDee's Wonderlic score was a 12. For comparison, Dez had a 16 and Randy Gregory had a 26. Randy always came across as an articulate type person. I always knew Randy wasn't a Jeff Spicoli type stoner. Randy has the highest score from the defense, former or current. 12 is not a good score. I'm worried about that. But if we go that route, pair CeeDee with Galimore in the weightroom because Gallimore put on a lot of muscle while he was out.

I totally agree. The Zoner GMs were wrong about Steele at RT and was wrong when they said Parsons is too small to be a good edge rusher. I believe the Zoners here are wrong about Pollard being a featured back. Zeke is built like a tank and even he wore down from all the carries. Pollard wouldn't last 2 seasons if he carried the ball as much as Zeke. I don't think his strength is running between the tackles. I don't know if would've work again, but I would've experimented with Pollard being the opener and Zeke being the closer like the Jones and Barber combo.

Hire Vic Fangio to replace D-Coordinator Dan Quinn (assuming Quinn becomes a Head Coach).
- He is a proven NFL D-Coordinator and unlikely to get signed away as a Head Coach in the future.

He's better than Quinn, IMO. Everywhere he goes he fields a top-10 defense. It's been said he drew up the blueprint to stop us. If Mike stays, he said Fangio was beating his chest about it, Dak said bring it on if anyone believes what Fangio was beating his chest about that. Fangio probably didn't like that, and I'm sure Jerry didn't like him creating that blueprint, so will all their egos allow that to happen? If Quinn leaves he would be my choice. I'm not sold on Zimmer.

My ideal choice is Sean Payton as coach and OC and Fangio as DC, with Bill Callaghan as the offensive line coach. I know Sean has one year left on his contract so maybe we have to wait a year for that. I wouldn't give them a high draft pick for him either.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Agreed, before making any changes in the offense , we must change the one that co-ordinates the offense .

Thats the only logical start .

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score

Plan Summary:
- Option of 2 TEs that will be drafted somewhere between the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.

Move La'el Collins to LG

- At least as good receiving as Schultz/Jarwin and a better run blocker than either.
- Lewis is old (37) but still a quality blocker and better receiver than blocking TEs like Blake Bell.

- Don't force a pick, but if a High Upside player is near-BPA at some point, then draft him.

Mike Zimmer as DC.

Cebrin

Reaction score

Plan Summary:

Move La'el Collins to LG

Spot on as always my guy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A quality top shelf tight end would upgrade the receiver group a notch, and make running the ball better. I am still concerned that Gallup is pending. He makes the depth/strength of the receiver group functionally top shelf...if they perform as commitment would dictate.

I still want a dominant linebacker and another good defensive tackle to mix in on the defensive side of ball.

The current scheme on offense always found a way to try and catch up rather than lead the way...

Dalmations202

Reaction score
If you want to improve this team:
1) add a dominant 1T
2) add a dominant TE or two
3) add a dominant LB allowing Parsons to be a true X factor
4) fix the C & LG positions

5) fix the coaching, especially their ability to discipline players and demand discipline from players