Twitter: Cowboys 4th in scoring drive % in 2019

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Meanwhile, keep complaining about the offense. Clearly, they were the problem. :rolleyes:

"SpEcIaL tEamS aNd deFeNsE dOn't maTtEr."

chickenbob.jpg

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Was the offense the 2007 Patriots? No but they were plenty, and I mean PLENTY, good enough to not only make the playoffs but contend.

If you’re trying to address weaknesses in order to field a better team in 2020 and your due diligence comes up with the offense as anything close to the main issue, you’re in for a world of hurt.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cowboy points scored in losses last year

Maybe the offense was a problem after all

The offense was a problem is some games. But let’s not pretend that things like field position don’t matter when trying to score points and beat good teams.

You can’t expect your offense to consistently go 80 yards to score against good defenses because the special teams sucks and the defense doesn’t force turnovers.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The offense was a problem is some games. But let’s not pretend that things like field position don’t matter when trying to score points and beat good teams.

You can’t expect your offense to consistently go 80 yards to score against good defenses because the special teams sucks and the defense doesn’t force turnovers.
The field position is very key. A lot of people think a 3 yard difference in average field position is the team constantly starting at the 25 yard line instead of the 28 yard line. It is actually continually starting at the 25 yard line and rarely starting at the opponents 40, as an example.

I looked at all of our starting field positions last year several months back. Off the top of my head, I want to say we only started inside our opponents territory 11 times last year. I believe we started more drives than that inside our own 10 yard line. I will have to see if I still have the stats saved in excel.

Not only that, I also don’t think we scored a defense or special teams TD last year either.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
You're supposed to win those close games. That's on Garrett. A great coach finds a way to win close games. We were within one score in 5 of our games. 13-3 vs 8-8 is that easily flipped around. Should be clear at that point that Garrett can't win the close games he needs to win, Packers in the playoffs is the ultimate example of that.

That being said, I do think we need to score points against the Jets. That was on the offense (for first 3 quarters) against a bad team.

At the same time, the defense needs to not give up 27 points to Jeff Driskel. That was on the defense. We won, but still... it's Jeff Driskel, lol.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
So in half the games that we lost we scored 20 or more points 4 times. Definitely defensive issues. Good thing Kris is gone

In the 24 point scored against green Bay, they didn't score until the 3rd quarter. And scored 14 of those points in the 4th when they were down 31-10. Defense was bad, but the offense did not help at all

In the 22 points scored against the Jets the offense somehow only manged to score 9 points through 3 quarters. The defense held the jets to 3 points the entire second half

In the 24 points scored against the bears 17 of them came in 4th quarter after we got down 24-7. The defense got no help from the offense.

So in 3 of those 4 games, if the offense plays better its a strong bet that we possible when that game and maybe even are able to play better on defense. Instead the offense struggles, the defense folds, and we end up chasing at the end and losing.

Let's not get the facts twisted. The offense was not bad last year. But just like the defense it did not show up for many games, and cost us games. Bad coaching, poor special teams, inconsistent offense and lazy defense doomed our season. 2019 was a team failure through and through.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
In the 24 point scored against green Bay, they didn't score until the 3rd quarter. And scored 14 of those points in the 4th when they were down 31-10. Defense was bad, but the offense did not help at all

In the 22 points scored against the Jets the offense somehow only manged to score 9 points through 3 quarters. The defense held the jets to 3 points the entire second half

In the 24 points scored against the bears 17 of them came in 4th quarter after we got down 24-7. The defense got no help from the offense.

So in 3 of those 4 games, if the offense plays better its a strong bet that we possible when that game and maybe even are able to play better on defense. Instead the offense struggles, the defense folds, and we end up chasing at the end and losing.

Let's not get the facts twisted. The offense was not bad last year. But just like the defense it did not show up for many games, and cost us games. Bad coaching, poor special teams, inconsistent offense and lazy defense doomed our season. 2019 was a team failure through and through.
So the other team had 31 points in the fourth and Cowboys ended up with 24 points. You see were Im going with this?

lwehlers

Reaction score
offense and defense had a hand in losing games but the biggest problem was special teams. maher lost three games by himself. a good kicker would have won those games. also constantly starting deep inside of the twenty on alot of drives cost games in the first half in most games was a main reason why the team struggled to score and have to play from behind in the second half. then letting the other teams great field position at important times of games.

lwehlers

Reaction score
So the other team had 31 points in the fourth and Cowboys ended up with 24 points. You see were Im going with this?
i have a bad feeling we are going to see the same problems as we saw last year. the defense is not going to be that good. the secondary scares me the most. also the defensive tackle position is a big question mark with an uproven hill and a rookie in gallimore are going have to step up this year. i just wonder how long poe will last this year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think it wise and prudent to say all aspects of the team contributed to an awful season.

You can cherry pick any/many stats to prove it was one thing or another. Which makes it even more clear.....all aspects.

Carson

Reaction score
i have a bad feeling we are going to see the same problems as we saw last year. the defense is not going to be that good. the secondary scares me the most. also the defensive tackle position is a big question mark with an uproven hill and a rookie in gallimore are going have to step up this year. i just wonder how long poe will last this year.

If defense stays 15-18 range, we win the division easily.

lwehlers

Reaction score
If defense stays 15-18 range, we win the division easily.
i feel the same way also. i just hope that the defense can. since we did not have any preseason games to see the defense it is a big unkown for me. the offense if the oline holds up will score big at times this year i hope.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like the cut of your jib sir. You can cherry pick a stat...and on the surface look solid. But you have to dig and give it context with the big picture.

Now...please no one act like I am hating on dak...he's not the reason...but I am responding to some of the game breakdowns here...and I noticed dak and THE OFFENSE! had ZERO 4th qtr come from behinds/game winning drives. This post shows they had opportunities....Looks like some of those 4th qtr points were too little too late.