Twitter: Cowboys activate Wilson and Canady

Prossman

Reaction score
I'm on the Parcells 3 yr plan. After 3 years you will know what you have. Hills path has been a strange one, but he is showing signs being a solid player for us. We actually have the option to not throw Joseph in there from day one. A year ago he would have been thrown into the fire.

blueblood70

Reaction score
will KJ finally great shot to play full game? with Lewis out its an opportunity for sure..

Jarntt

Reaction score
Joseph is only a core special teamer because AB and Lewis, while erratic (Especially AB) have both had good moments and gotten takeaways, relegating Joseph to CB4 which is a special teams and garbage time role in the NFL when you don't have injuries at that position and you play big dime (3 S / 3 CB dime) instead of traditional 4 CB dime which Dan Quinn doesn't play, also because Malik Hooker is too good to keep off the field.
That's a theory, but really putting a positive spin on the situation. Another theory is because he missed time in camp and then was injured and we never heard much positive about his play from the staff that Joseph seems to have been unable to unseat AB even though AB has had some horrendous games and given up way to many big plays and dropped more easy interceptions than he has come down with. Let's hope your theory is the correct one...

Jarntt

Reaction score
I for one hope Joseph gets a lot of snaps and balls out today and shows this team a little of whatever it was they liked enough about him to spend an early second round pick on him. Upgrading our #2 CB spot (either this year or next) is one of our biggest needs and if this kid grows into the job with Diggs on the other side and a suddenly improved safety group it will be a fantastic thing for this team

Jarntt

Reaction score
Trysten Hill is another costly 2nd round pick.

Kelvin Joseph is another..

Cowboys absolutely suck drafting in the 2nd round.
I agree with you on Hill. That was a horrible pick. But, saying that about Joseph right now is ridiculous IMO. He looks to be behind where we hoped of course, but how can you even pretend the book is written on him at this point?

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's a theory, but really putting a positive spin on the situation. Another theory is because he missed time in camp and then was injured and we never heard much positive about his play from the staff that Joseph seems to have been unable to unseat AB even though AB has had some horrendous games and given up way to many big plays and dropped more easy interceptions than he has come down with. Let's hope your theory is the correct one...
Brown is having a strange season.

Giving up big plays and dropping picks, and at the same time playing well in most coverages. Has been tackling well also.

In the end I'd trust him over a rookie.

The Joseph thing is 100% why you don't fixate on position in the draft and that's exactly what they did.

Only have players for four years and the 44th pick in any draft can't be just thrown away for a year, and thats what happened.

Speaking of.....everyone's favorite pick Wright hasn't made much noise either.

I'd really love to know if it's just the vets holding them off or these guys just aren't making an impression in practice.

fivetwos

Reaction score
AC isn't wrong....there's been some extremely curious use of 2nd rounders, not the least of which being a TE when you have a future HOFer in his prime.....oh and that was more than twice.

But Diggs and Gregory kinda hurt that narrative.

Two of our top eight or so players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AC isn't wrong....there's been some extremely curious use of 2nd rounders, not the least of which being a TE when you have a future HOFer in his prime.....oh and that was more than twice.

But Diggs and Gregory kinda hurt that narrative.

Two of our top eight or so players.
I think that at the time of the picks most of the 2nd round picks made sense.
- I tend to judge player personnel evaluators more on the logic of their decisions at the time than strictly on results of specific picks.
- Obviously they need to have success over the long run with their draft classes, but judging individual picks is different than judging over drafts classes.
- The Cowboys get praised for drafting Witten but in reality they made a dumb decision bypassing him in the 2nd round.
- The Pats get praised for drafting Brady in the 6th but that means they bypassed in rounds 1 thru 5...

Of the ten years, the primary 2nd round pick that I think was a dumb decision a the time was Jaylon Smith.
- They overlooked the that Jaylon had a very low football IQ.
- Even today he has enough remaining physical ability to be a borderline starter but his complete lack of football IQ is the problem.
- In college he had uber elite physical ability which masked over this lack of football IQ.

2021 ….. Kelvin Joseph
1st round talent available due to character issues. His character issues were TO-ish (i.e. No legal issues, just personality questions).

2020 ….. Trevon Diggs
I thought Diggs was better than most of the 1st round CBs that year.

2019 ….. Trysten Hill
Most fans hate this pick but Hill had terrific physical ability with a rare combination of size/quickness. He didn't have legal issues.
- His original college coaching staff loved him as a player.
- Even the 2nd D-Coordinator said that Hill had the highest 'motor' of any player on the roster.
- His character issue was all related to the change of coaching staffs.
- The 2nd HC would let him transfer with the previous HC and the 2nd DC told him the 1st DC didn't coach him correctly.
- He was loyal to the 1st coaching staff and it didn't go over well with him when the 2nd staff said the 1st staff's coaching was wrong.
- The 1st coaching staff used him in role similar to how Quinn uses Hill/Gallimore this season.
- The 2nd coaching staff coached him exactly like Marinelli did in the NFL. The 'play the run on the way to the passer' concept.

2018 ….. Connor Williams
Many draft analysts had him rated as a 1st round pick and projected him to OT.

2017 ….. Chidobe Awuzie
He was rated as a borderline 1st round pick by many analysts. Scheme was his downfall in Dallas. He made the Pro Bowl this year.
- Pre-draft I thought their 1st round pick would come down to Taco or Awuzie and I preferred Awuzie over Taco.

2016 ….. Jaylon Smith
They failed on this pick but not strictly because of the injury issue. Similar to Morris Claiborne, Jaylon is just a very low IQ type player.

2015 ….. Randy Gregory
- Worth the risk IMO. Top 2 pass rusher in that draft and best run defender of the elite pass rushers.

2014 ….. DeMarcus Lawrence
- Solid pick.

2013 ….. Gavin Escobar
- The Cowboys and other teams envisioned 2 receiving TE sets as the future after the success of Gronk/Hernandez.
- With Witten being a better blocker than most starting TEs, it seemed plausible that Escobar's lack of blocking could be tolerated.
- Escobar was a terrific receiver in college and had a handful of really good games in the NFL with some terrific catches.
- Unfortunately, Escobar literally couldn't block better than Cole Beasley...
- Escobar had an Achilles injury and never did much afterwards.

2012 ..... No pick in the 2nd.

Reactions: JPM

Creeper

Reaction score
How do all these players test positive and get cleared in the same week (Tyreke Hill) and our guys are routinely missing two games

Vaccination status and timing. Anyone not vaccinated who tests positive must wait 10 days minimum to be cleared, and they must be symptom free before they can be cleared by testing. We do not know the circumstances of Hills positive test or his vax status. But if he is unvaccinated and had symptoms in the more severe category, it could be two weeks or more before he can be cleared. The Cowboys have not released any info on Hill's positive test or the degree of his illness.