Signed by Cowboys Cowboys agree to terms with Jason Peters

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don’t be negative and whine about the “what if’s”. He’s a Cowboy now and playing a position that is in sorely need of depth. Be happy. Jeez.

Slipping into your old self, I see. I'm very happy about this signing.

Just because I say what I would have liked to have seen back in the day doesn't mean I'm either negative or whining. Stop being a tool.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Has anybody heard any contract terms?

It’s a practice squad deal until after the 1st week when he’ll get moved to the 53 and get vet min is what I heard. He’s on the practice squad so his full salary isn’t guaranteed. Veterans are fully guaranteed if they are on the active roster wk 1

Peter’s will be serviceable but I wouldn’t expect much more than that. He will hold up well against power guys, speed guys will give him issues. He’s usually good for a false start a game trying to jump the snap count to get into his pass set but that is what it is. He still has good hands and a great anchor but his lateral movement isn’t what it was. He’s still a good run blocker and a great locker room guy. The most frustrating thing in Philly was he constantly took himself out of the game for a play here a play there. Literally every game he would miss 5-10 snaps, saw some of that last year in Chicago. May not seem like much but o-line play relies on cohesivenesses and knowing how the man next to you handles double teams, games etc. makes a difference.
It’s a good low risk signing for the Cowboys that fills an area of need and JP gets to play for his childhood team. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s a practice squad deal until after the 1st week when he’ll get moved to the 53 and get vet min is what I heard. He’s on the practice squad so his full salary isn’t guaranteed. Veterans are fully guaranteed if they are on the active roster wk 1

Peter’s will be serviceable but I wouldn’t expect much more than that. He will hold up well against power guys, speed guys will give him issues. He’s usually good for a false start a game trying to jump the snap count to get into his pass set but that is what it is. He still has good hands and a great anchor but his lateral movement isn’t what it was. He’s still a good run blocker and a great locker room guy. The most frustrating thing in Philly was he constantly took himself out of the game for a play here a play there. Literally every game he would miss 5-10 snaps, saw some of that last year in Chicago. May not seem like much but o-line play relies on cohesivenesses and knowing how the man next to you handles double teams, games etc. makes a difference.
It’s a good low risk signing for the Cowboys that fills an area of need and JP gets to play for his childhood team. Should be interesting to see how it works out.
Thanks for great info from a rivals perspective no less!
Cowboys and Eagles should be battling it out for the NFC East this year.
May the best team win!
Strike that, may the Cowboys win! haha

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thanks for great info from a rivals perspective no less!
Cowboys and Eagles should be battling it out for the NFC East this year.
May the best team win!
Strike that, may the Cowboys win! haha

That really sounds like a thoughtful and conscientious assessment from one who should be quite familiar with our newest signing. I think we, actually, shouldn't expect more from a player of his immense size and considerable age. JP is, obviously, a hard worker and one who has seen many years of experience and accolades as a pro's pro. I think we'll be fairly pleased with what we can expect from him. It seems highly preferable to the alternative, which would likely be trying to get by without him, or even another of lesser ability. ;)

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That really sounds like a thoughtful and conscientious assessment from one who should be quite familiar with our newest signing. I think we, actually, shouldn't expect more from a player of his immense size and considerable age. JP is, obviously, a hard worker and one who has seen many years of experience and accolades as a pro's pro. I think we'll be fairly pleased with what we can expect from him. It seems highly preferable to the alternative, which would likely be trying to get by without him, or maybe another of lesser ability. ;)
I was impressed with the assessment !
Seems fairly objective coming from the enemy!
:lmao:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

We don’t need him to be anything more than serviceable. Serviceable is way better than what our other options are.

If he’s remotely good, that’s gravy. That’d be awesome. All he has to do is not be as terrible as Josh Ball.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
We don’t need him to be anything more than serviceable. Serviceable is way better than what our other options are.

If he’s remotely good, that’s gravy. That’d be awesome. All he has to do is not be as terrible as Josh Ball.

Josh Ball and Matt Waletzko might not be serviceable right this moment. But with more experience and development, they both showed signs that they might develop into viable NFL Olinemen at some point in the future. I suggest that we not allow our current disappointment in either of them shadow our judgement of what they might become. Doug Free didn't play full-time until half-way through his 4th season, then he became a very solid NFL starter for many years. Let's not give up on the recently drafted players just yet.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Any word yet on the details of the contract?

Not that is matters much. I'm just curious because it seems like they're slow-playing it, which leads me to believe they may have paid more than they want to admit, publicly, with the climate within the angry fanbase.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Not that is matters much. I'm just curious because it seems like they're slow-playing it, which leads me to believe they may have paid more than they want to admit, publicly, with the climate within the angry fanbase.

Jason Peters' official contract is a maximum Practice Squad salary of $19,900 per week for 18 weeks = $358,200.

This will change when Peters is elevated to the team, so we won't know the terms of his actual deal with the Cowboys until he gets promoted from the Practice Squad. Neither the league, nor the Cowboys are likely to expose the numbers of the Peters' contract until that time.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Why do people care about his contract value? He’s a bandaid that won’t be in Dallas past this year (you should hope)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I'm also awaiting the official reports of the contract details for Jason Peters. I've seen imaginary one(s) that really mean nothing. o_O

The contract version I'm most interested in is what he'll get while on the active roster, rather than the one for the practice squad. :)

Of course, I'm definitely assuming there'll be a distinct difference between the two of them! I can't imagine it would be the same! ;)

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Last year, he had three penalties, I believe. I'm pretty sure that's far less than a false start a game.