Cowboys among betting favorites to sign Bakhtiari

Sydla

Reaction score
With the depth and oline flexibility we have, I don't see it happening unless we have an injury somewhere.
What depth? Warm bodies isn't depth.

Guyton is obviously the LT of the future but might not be ready. So they may be forced to kick Tyler outside, which then weakens LG substantially. They could try Steele at LT and let Guyton settle into the NFL game at RT with the plan to switch down the road. Edoga? Oy vey.

A decent LT, not costing a lot, would be a smart decision at this point unless Guyton is really farther along than most of us realize/has been reported.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If Dallas was going to sign someone, it was going to be Tyron.
Nonsense. Tyron was always going to be too expensive, given the DAL salary cap. Any bettor looking for an easy money bet, that was an easy money bet.

_sturt_

Reaction score
A decent LT, not costing a lot, would be a smart decision at this point unless Guyton is really farther along than most of us realize/has been reported.

giphy.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don't get the allergy to the idea.

At the right price, perfect addition.

At worst, even if his surgically-repaired knee eventually sidelines him again, he buys you some time for Guyton to figure things out. And he's an All-Pro mentor to your 1st round pick.

At best, he's a 2024 Pro Bowl candidate who you've signed to a 1 year deal and buys you some time for Guyton to figure things out... and plausibly, for 2025, re-signs... while Guyton's progress makes him a candidate to challenge Terrence Steele over at his more familiar RT spot... that is, challenge the guy whose salary cap impact just took a dramatic jump.

The likely scenario is somewhere between the two, of course.

Obviously, some betting lines perceive the match as plausible.
Depends on what the money is like.
If we can get him very cheap, he's exactly the kind of guy we take on the team, expecting little, but hoping to flip him next year for a comp pick.
But I think it's more likely Guyton starts, and this guy is back up in case Guyton is a complete disaster. They picked Guyton high and are going to want to play him.

John813

Reaction score
Nonsense. Tyron was always going to be too expensive, given the DAL salary cap. Any bettor looking for an easy money bet, that was an easy money bet.

He signed a 1 year(4 void) year, 6.5mil guaranteed contract with the Jets, with bonuses tied to playing time.
His 2024 cap hit is 2.9mil.

Both OTC and Spotrac has his cap hit as the above, with the max tier 1 of bonuses capped at 5.75mil, unconfirmed if it hits this year or next year if he hits that playing time of 68%.

Regardless, Smith wanted to stay here. I can't believe if Dallas gave him a decent offer he wouldn't of taken it prior to the Jets deal.

Bakhtiari does have history with McCarthy, but if he still wants to play I'd assume he want assurances that he could have a good chance to start and get paid near starting salary.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand the notion given that he's played with McCarthy before. However, the FO seldom signs outside talent. Also, he does have a bit of an injury history. That said, if we did sign him to a 1 year deal, I could see it being a good move. We could certainly use him, and he could be an invaluable mentor for Tyler Smith and Guyton.

_sturt_

Reaction score
depth and oline flexibility
There's a whole lotta presumption packed into those four words that could end tragically. You've not any, none, zero, zilch proven NFL-starter-quality O-linemen at arguably the two most critical O-line positions.

You've got a lot of "ifs/maybes," sure. But that's what they are.

That's not my idea of "depth."

And while I can buy into "flexibility" a little easier, I can't even buy into that with any substantiated confidence.

Related... I feel like this board somehow has envisioned Asim Richards as ready for prime time on the basis of 39 snaps, for instance. Why is that? I don't get it. Just because someone's performance has yet to give reason for doubts, that's not even an entire single game's worth of total snaps (!).

C'mon people. Our O-line is great at 3 spots. At the other two, we're really vulnerable until we're not. I can understand waiting until after you see these guys in pads to make any assessment, but on the other hand, if you can get a player with Bakhtiari's resume' at a really good price, you just tell Edoga, "Sorry, you're getting some competition," and see where those chips fall.

That's reasonable.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
There's a whole lotta presumption packed into those four words that could end tragically. You've not none, zero, zilch proven NFL-starter-quality O-linemen at arguably the two most critical O-line positions. You've got a lot of "ifs/maybes," sure. But that's what they are. That's not my idea of "depth." And while I can buy into "flexibility" a little easier, I can't even buy into that with any substantiated confidence.

Related... I feel like this board somehow has envisioned Asim Richards as ready for prime time on the basis of 39 snaps, for instance. Why is that? I don't get it. Just because someone's performance has yet to give reason for doubts, that's not even an entire single game's worth of total snaps (!).

C'mon people. Our O-line is great at 3 spots. At the other two, we're really vulnerable until we're not. I can understand waiting until after you see these guys in pads to make any assessment, but on the other hand, if you can get a player with Bakhtiari's resume' at a really good price, you just tell Edoga, "Sorry, you're getting some competition," and see where those chips fall.

That's reasonable.
We have a lot of if's /maybes all over the place. Welcome to the NFL. Not saying it is correct but,
GM Jethro believes flexibility creates depth with less players/talent.

Tyler can play guard/tackle. So could Martin if needed. Steele could play tackle/guard. They believe Beebe can play guard/center. They believe Guyton can play LT and RT Tackle. I would prefer to just have actual depth at each position, but that is not reality in todays NFL.

They seem to be like both Hoffman and TJ Bass. I have heard no excitement about any of our back up tackles - Edoga, Richards, Bostic, Waletzko or Ball. So with that being said Guyton is going to get every opportunity to win the starting job, just like Trance will for QB2.(although we already have a legit backup).

Maybe that 4th and $5.3M could have actually been used in a position of need. Just a thought.

_sturt_

Reaction score
But understand that "broke" is the only reason you even have a shot at a relatively middle-aged (by O-line standards) pro-bowler at LT.

I mean, what's the debate? It's not about Guyton.

Guyton's highly unlikely to be ready. The only reason we're even talking like he might be is that there are a few Pollyannas who have already forgotten the conventional wisdom that was widely understood pre- and post-draft... and most of whom have already given up on 2024 before it's even started, so they figure, why not throw your 1st rounder out there and just see what happens?

Nah. Look. It's about Edoga.

If you can sign Bakhtiari for something close to what you're paying Edoga, that's a serious consideration.

To be fair, it's not an automatic--yes, you have to have your docs review and assess Bakhtiari's status, in light of Edoga's seeming good overall health.

But if the money's right, and if the docs give you a thumbs-up, I for one am going to prefer the guy who's done it at a high level for a long, long time..

Sydla

Reaction score
Yup.

Also, our cap is jacked.

We broke.
We are broke only by choice.

The number of people that fall for the woe is us BS from the Jones explains why they've been able to continue to fill the coffers despite little to no postseason success for nearly 30 years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But understand that "broke" is the only reason you even have a shot at a relatively middle-aged (by O-line standards) pro-bowler at LT.

I mean, what's the debate? It's not about Guyton.

Guyton's highly unlikely to be ready. The only reason we're even talking like he might be is that there are a few Pollyannas who have already forgotten the conventional wisdom that was widely understood pre- and post-draft... and most of whom have already given up on 2024 before it's even started, so they figure, why not throw your 1st rounder out there and just see what happens?

Nah. Look. It's about Edoga.

If you can sign Bakhtiari for something close to what you're paying Edoga, that's a serious consideration.

To be fair, it's not an automatic--yes, you have to have your docs review and assess Bakhtiari's status, in light of Edoga's seeming good overall health.

But if the money's right, and if the docs give you a thumbs-up, I for one am going to prefer the guy who's done it at a high level for a long, long time..
Guyton will be starting day 1.