Cowboys among betting favorites to sign Bakhtiari

_sturt_

Reaction score
Guyton will be starting day 1.
Hope so. That would be great.

But based on what we were told pre-draft about him, and even post-draft from most sources, to expect that would be overreach. And thus, to assume that is irresponsible if you have a chance to improve that LT situation.

But again again. This isn't even about Guyton. It's about Edoga. And if the price is right and if the docs give their thumbs-up... and we can't know what we can't know, of course, but if those boxes can be checked off... Stephen needs to sign him and bring Bakhtiari to Oxnard, and let him compete.

If Guyton beats out Edoga, that's one thing. If Guyton beats out Bakhtiari, that's another, and that's huge.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Hope so. That would be great.

But based on what we were told pre-draft about him, and even post-draft from most sources, to expect that would be overreach. And thus, to assume that is irresponsible if you have a chance to improve that LT situation.

But again again. This isn't even about Guyton. It's about Edoga. And if the price is right and if the docs give their thumbs-up... and we can't know what we can't know, of course, but if those boxes can be checked off... Stephen needs to sign him and bring Bakhtiari to Oxnard, and let him compete.

If Guyton beats out Edoga, that's one thing. If Guyton beats out Bakhtiari, that's another, and that's huge.
Since when has GM Jethro ben responsible???

75boyz

Reaction score
Bakhtiari is kind of a luxury/insurance plan at this point imo.

I mean I still like Tyler Smith at LT and Bass at LG, Beebe, Zack and Steele as our best 5.

It ain't how we've done business in the past with how weve always put 1st rd o- linemen rookies in as starters, but I think Guyton's lack of experience as a college LT does not bode well facing the AFC North and NFC East defensive lines this year.

I know, I know, a 1st rd pick and he's a swing tackle you say?
I can see that opinion as well.

I just lack confidence in Solari anyway. And for him to have Guyton coached up enough to be competent against those type opponents I'll hafta see to believe.

jmo

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Bakhtiari is kind of a luxury/insurance plan at this point imo.

I mean I still like Tyler Smith at LT and Bass at LG, Beebe, Zack and Steele as our best 5.

It ain't how we've done business in the past with how weve always put 1st rd o- linemen rookies in as starters, but I think Guyton's lack of experience as a college LT does not bode well facing the AFC North and NFC East defensive lines this year.

I know, I know, a 1st rd pick and he's a swing tackle you say?
I can see that opinion as well.

I just lack confidence in Solari anyway. And for him to have Guyton coached up enough to be competent against those type opponents I'll hafta see to believe.

jmo

Worst case scenario, I see him as a younger Jason Peters at this point. I think he's the kind of player that we could get at a contract that the Joneses like, and I think he has the ability to (especially with his experience with McCarthy), at a minimum, mentor Guyton and Smith. He also likely can help step in and play when needed. I think it's almost a no-brainer for us to try for him.

75boyz

Reaction score
Worst case scenario, I see him as a younger Jason Peters at this point. I think he's the kind of player that we could get at a contract that the Joneses like, and I think he has the ability to (especially with his experience with McCarthy), at a minimum, mentor Guyton and Smith. He also likely can help step in and play when needed. I think it's almost a no-brainer for us to try for him.
Agreed. IF Guyton proves to be our best option as starting LT.
My opinion stands of my preference for Tyler Smith to be the starter.

Remember how bad Micah was making Tyron look in training camp last year?

I'm not quite sure Guyton is up to the mental challenge of his self confidence being beat down like that every day.

The scouting/draft report did mention some maturity issues.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see if we truly nailed yet another 1st round draft pick olineman.

I hope so.
But I won't be sure 'til the young man shows it on the field.
Fingers crossed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed. IF Guyton proves to be our best option as starting LT.
My opinion stands of my preference for Tyler Smith to be the starter.

Remember how bad Micah was making Tyron look in training camp last year?

I'm not quite sure Guyton is up to the mental challenge of his self confidence being beat down like that every day.

The scouting/draft report did mention some maturity issues.

Oh well, it will be interestingvto see if we truly nailed yet another 1st round draft pick olineman.

I hope so.
But I won't be sure 'til the young man shows it on the field.
Fingers crossed.

Additionally, Bakhtiari is 31, so he is not too old either. That said, I think we need him on a 1 year deal to help develop our young oline

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Yeah...we're the favorites to sign ANYONE with an upcoming throw-a-way season. I'm sure Stevie is on the phone now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Betting the Cowboys will spend any more money in FA in 2024 is not a good idea, IMHO.