News: Cowboys Appear to Be Moving on From Dez Bryant

Hadenough

Reaction score
I cant believe anyone thinks Dez cant be replaced. In 2016 this team did just fine spreading the ball around and Beasley had the same yards that Dez had this year. This team is a running team and the star is Zeke. This whole decision to keep Dez or let him go is pretty simple! If he takes a paycut he can stay but if he chooses not, the Cowboys are now prepared to let him go! Personally I would let him go because of production and attitude! I am really sick and tired of seeing Dallas run the ball down a teams throat and get to the 10 yard line and feel this need to throw to Dez.

kskboys

Reaction score
JJT is a hack with no insight into the team and florio isn’t far behind. This is them pulling stuff out of their *** and putting it on paper. Dez isn’t going anywhere this season.

Edit: also find it funny JJT taking about dez not being a professional. Pot calling the kettle black JJT. Most unprofessional beat writer ever.

Isn't the bolded you doing the same thing?!!!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The contract changes the value of players in regards to a trade.

If a team wanted to spend 12.5M on a WR, they would have signed a free agent.

Still, I'd like to get something out of it lol. I think there are teams like the Chargers who might actually take on that contract.

mugsybows

Reaction score
Isn't the bolded you doing the same thing?!!!!
Difference is I don’t get paid for it and mine isn’t broadcast as “news”. :rolleyes: If this is journalism nowadays then pay me too. I’ll gladly pull stuff outta my *** and call it insider news.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still, I'd like to get something out of it lol. I think there are teams like the Chargers who might actually take on that contract.

You are a good poster and I respect your opinion so don't take my disagreement the wrong way, but...

One of the most common fan emotions in the off-season every year is too over-rate their team's players in regards to trades. It occasionally happens that some teams gives up more than anybody would have expected for a player, but it's rare in the modern era where teams are much more calculated in the moves that make.

If they wanted to keep him on the roster and wait into training camp, then I could see a trade being possible. Every year teams have players that get injured in the pre-season and they over-pay in a trade. The Vikings did it in September of 2016 when they gave up a 1st for Sam Bradford; however, teams do really wacky things when QBs are involved.

The issue with waiting is that if they are going to move on from Dez, Jerry would want to give Dez the opportunity to depart before the pre-season. They've released other veterans that probably could have netted a late round pick if they had waited but as a sign of respect Jerry would just let them move on. They made Scandrick a designated-June-1st cut which means that they get ZERO cap benefit before June 1st for cutting him. It's possible they could have gotten a late round pick for him if they waited past the draft because unlike Dez, his contract made him more valuable because it was lower than what he ended up getting after they released him.

Good discussion.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Its pretty obvious that the team is not going to keep Dez at his current salary for the 2018 season.

I think Dez will be offered the chance to stay with a significant paycut. If he refuses, then they will release him.

Plan 1 is to draft a WR high, then release Dez.

Plan 2, we'll see how the WRs are playing during camp/preseason. Lots of possibilities there. Dez isn't kept at his current salary unless he plays up to it. Otherwise, offer him his actual value. If he won't take it, cut him and bring in a reasonably priced cap casualty from elsewhere, or just go with our other guys if they're showing enough.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of the most common fan emotions in the off-season every year is too over-rate their team's players in regards to trades.
Good discussion.

Trade talk is usually wish fulfillment fantasy, another team giving us their treasure for our trash.

The whole issue with Dez is the gap between production and contract cost. Other teams can see that too.

As you said, the situation for Scandrick was different. At only 3mil, he potentially brings more value than cost. Might have gotten some trade value for him.

I've always been a fan of Scandrick, but in his case, we had every reason to squeeze every chance for value out of him, without regard for what was best for him. He turned the screws on the team when the team was light on CBs. Business. On purely business grounds, the team should have kept him around just in case we could get something for him in trade, or as insurance against injury to other players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez may not be cut because it's cost prohibitive but that doesn't mean he will continue to be the 1WR.

Cutting Dez is a big net cap gain this year, and a 12.5mil gain over time by avoiding his salary this year. We can cut him any time we want.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You are a good poster and I respect your opinion so don't take my disagreement the wrong way, but...

One of the most common fan emotions in the off-season every year is too over-rate their team's players in regards to trades. It occasionally happens that some teams gives up more than anybody would have expected for a player, but it's rare in the modern era where teams are much more calculated in the moves that make.

If they wanted to keep him on the roster and wait into training camp, then I could see a trade being possible. Every year teams have players that get injured in the pre-season and they over-pay in a trade. The Vikings did it in September of 2016 when they gave up a 1st for Sam Bradford; however, teams do really wacky things when QBs are involved.

The issue with waiting is that if they are going to move on from Dez, Jerry would want to give Dez the opportunity to depart before the pre-season. They've released other veterans that probably could have netted a late round pick if they had waited but as a sign of respect Jerry would just let them move on. They made Scandrick a designated-June-1st cut which means that they get ZERO cap benefit before June 1st for cutting him. It's possible they could have gotten a late round pick for him if they waited past the draft because unlike Dez, his contract made him more valuable because it was lower than what he ended up getting after they released him.

Good discussion.

Yup, fair enough.

BHendri5

Reaction score
JJT don't have **** in that building. He is just writing garbage, I thought we were done with him, but I guess he is back after being let go by ESPN? It that is the case he will be back to his old ways of throwing garbage out hoping that he may be right. He is a POS writer. Dez is not going anywhere anytime soon, this season next season, as I have said all along he will leave when he decides to retire.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
JJT has a lot of inside info in that building. Looking more and more like he's gone. Would be nice to just get a 6th for him. I would still love to try and trade Beas to NE.

JJT is plugged in but the news shouldn’t surprise anyone. Dez and Hurns are the same player - same build, same routes, except Hurns is 5 years younger.

I know that it’s impossible, but I’d like to see them trade Dez. Whatever they can get is bonus. The last thing we want is to see him show up in our division.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
JJT is plugged in but the news shouldn’t surprise anyone. Dez and Hurns are the same player - same build, same routes, except Hurns is 5 years younger.

I know that it’s impossible, but I’d like to see them trade Dez. Whatever they can get is bonus. The last thing we want is to see him show up in our division.

Not even close to the same player.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dez and Hurns are the same player - same build, same routes, except Hurns is 5 years younger.

There are two possibilities:

1. That's true and the Cowboys just outsmarted the entire NFL by getting Hurns at $6 million/year.

2. That's false.