News: Cowboys Appear to Be Moving on From Dez Bryant

kskboys

Reaction score
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, friend.

If we are still talking only about years 2012-2014, he averaged 14.4 yards a catch.
You bring up an interesting point though. I don't know where to find stats for 1st down catches.
But, man, those TDs. Not many WRs average 14 TDs a season for three years.
TD's? Not a great way to judge WR's as a standalone stat. If you're going to go that route, then I'd come back at you w/ 8-8.

Elite WR's move the chains, stretch the field, provide an outlet for a QB in trouble, stuff like that. I simply didn't observe Dez doing enough of that.

mugsybows

Reaction score
JJT is a hack with no insight into the team and florio isn’t far behind. This is them pulling stuff out of their *** and putting it on paper. Dez isn’t going anywhere this season.

Edit: also find it funny JJT taking about dez not being a professional. Pot calling the kettle black JJT. Most unprofessional beat writer ever.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
JJT is a hack with no insight into the team and florio isn’t far behind. This is them pulling stuff out of their *** and putting it on paper. Dez isn’t going anywhere this season.

I think so as well. There's nothing that Hurns brings to the table that Dez can't do. I like the Hurns signing, but he's not Dez's replacement. That'd be stupid. In fact, I think Hurns is the help that Dez has long needed. How does a receiver like TWill strike fear into a defense? If Dez is to be successful, then it might help to have another receiver that defenses fear so that they don't keep double and triple teaming him. Hurns can strike that fear. Plus, his intelligence helps.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think so as well. There's nothing that Hurns brings to the table that Dez can't do. I like the Hurns signing, but he's not Dez's replacement. That'd be stupid. In fact, I think Hurns is the help that Dez has long needed. How does a receiver like TWill strike fear into a defense? If Dez is to be successful, then it might help to have another receiver that defenses fear so that they don't keep double and triple teaming him. Hurns can strike that fear. Plus, his intelligence helps.

Like, don't get me wrong, I like TWill. He seems like a nice guy and all, but please explain to me what this was:

terrance-williams.jpg

Like, maybe just maybe get out of bounds......might give us a shot at a FG.....especially since Bailey was hammering field goals all day that game. At least Hurns had the intelligence to get out of bounds when he was injured in a critical part of a game.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Its pretty obvious that the team is not going to keep Dez at his current salary for the 2018 season.

I think Dez will be offered the chance to stay with a significant paycut. If he refuses, then they will release him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

At this point Dez is physically at the level of Hurns or below.

Hurns is known to be much more intelligent and coachable.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. For someone of his caliber, I'm not letting him go without something in return.
The contract changes the value of players in regards to a trade.

If a team wanted to spend 12.5M on a WR, they would have signed a free agent.

Gameover

Reaction score

Romo w the Dak roll out pass— many have said the Cowboys use this because Dak is useless in the pocket— maybe the Cowboys offense just lacks imagination

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
TD's? Not a great way to judge WR's as a standalone stat. If you're going to go that route, then I'd come back at you w/ 8-8.

Elite WR's move the chains, stretch the field, provide an outlet for a QB in trouble, stuff like that. I simply didn't observe Dez doing enough of that.

While I did come back with the double digit td average, it was the whole body of work in those 3 years I had first mentioned.
I still like to see how many 3rd down catches resulted in 1st downs to verify your point. But I'm not having much luck in
finding those stats.

Your 8-8 comment was on point for 2 of those 3 years. I think I'd come back with WRs alone cannot win games. Otherwise,
Calvin Johnson would've retired with more rings than Brady.

I respect your opinion. Not trying to start a pissing contest here. Just remember, I was only referring to years 2012-2014.

Regardless of the past statistics, I lost respect for Dez in the Seattle game. He sure made it appear to be "all about him"
early in that game. Never mind the we were winning at the time. Frankly, that whole game still ticks me off.

CCBoy

Reaction score
While I did come back with the double digit td average, it was the whole body of work in those 3 years I had first mentioned.
I still like to see how many 3rd down catches resulted in 1st downs to verify your point. But I'm not having much luck in
finding those stats.

Your 8-8 comment was on point for 2 of those 3 years. I think I'd come back with WRs alone cannot win games. Otherwise,
Calvin Johnson would've retired with more rings than Brady.

I respect your opinion. Not trying to start a pissing contest here. Just remember, I was only referring to years 2012-2014.

Regardless of the past statistics, I lost respect for Dez in the Seattle game. He sure made it appear to be "all about him"
early in that game. Never mind the we were winning at the time. Frankly, that whole game still ticks me off.

True, but all said, the present evolves from this picture:

Cowboys' Dez Bryant: Facing uncertain future
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Bryant's future with the Cowboys appears murky after the team signed Deonte Thompson on Thursday and Allen Hurns on Friday, ESPN.com's Todd Archer reports.

The Cowboys reportedly made a strong run at Sammy Watkins, with plans of moving on from Bryant (or at least asking for a pay cut) if they'd been successful. Hurns and Thompson come far cheaper than Watkins, but the signings nonetheless hint at some level of dis-satisfaction with the trio of Bryant, Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley, all disappointments last season. Most offseason reports have suggested the Cowboys plan to stick with Bryant for at least one more year, and, for what it's worth, the 29-year-old wideout told Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan that he's happy the team signed Hurns. The situation will require close monitoring in the coming weeks, and perhaps even more so once the draft is finished.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DAL/dallas-cowboys

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
At this point Dez is physically at the level of Hurns or below.

Hurns is known to be much more intelligent and coachable.

You're in danger of surpassing fuzzy lumpkins as the leader in talking out your rear and passing it off as fact.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dez may not be cut because it's cost prohibitive but that doesn't mean he will continue to be the 1WR. I think he will be challenged for that position by Hurns. If he makes it to Oxnard for training camp he will most likely have a chip on his shoulder because he knows he'll have to earn his check.