Cowboys approach to off-season remains consistent

Sydla

Reaction score
The problem as I see it is we have a front office who is gun shy in FA and understandably so. So we acquire low risk acquisitions to fill gaps and add talent .

Talent evaluation is one of our weaknesses. We struggle evaluating our own guys much less someone else’s. It’s how we think receivers by committee could work.

There's no reason to be "gun shy" in FA if you are prepared and use it properly.

The fact this organization is scared to spend a little bit of money in FA is actually quite damning of their roster building skills.

Brax

Reaction score
Clown post from a clown poster. Only Whiner Nation would call the last five years "consistently bad".
Good job on the last 5 years I go back 9 pretty sad isn't it. if the cycle continues a down year ahead. But not in JJ fan club, everything is great.
2010 2010 NFL NFC East 3rd 6 10 0
2011 2011 NFL NFC East 3rd 8 8 0
2012 2012 NFL NFC East 3rd 8 8 0
2013 2013 NFL NFC East 2nd 8 8 0
2014 2014 NFL NFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Wild Card playoffs (Lions) 24–20
Lost Divisional playoffs (at Packers)
2015 2015 NFL NFC East 4th 4 12 0
2016 2016 NFL NFC East 1st 13 3 0 Lost Divisional playoffs (Packers) 31–34 Dak Prescott (OROY)
2017 2017 NFL NFC East 2nd 9 7 0
2018 2018 NFL NFC East 1st 10 6 0 Won Wild Card playoffs (Seahawks) 24–22
Lost Divisional playoffs (at Rams)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's no reason to be "gun shy" in FA if you are prepared and use it properly.

The fact this organization is scared to spend a little bit of money in FA is actually quite damning of their roster building skills.
Of course it is but at least they recognize their weaknesses.

It’s all part of why the Bar has been lowered this era. Expecting this dysfunctional organization to be more than they are is some fans first mistake.

Last edited:

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
ie stated many times i am no fan of Garrets

what i am suggestig, is a big spedig FA when need, or availiable, well spent for worth. avoidg it for the sake of saying "well we are 1 or 2 players away, lets get neiter ad see what happes.
I agree, but not at the expense of putting us in a bad position. Right now, I'm all for getting good proven players under 30 on the cheap like what they are doing with Quinn.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
See this is part of the problem. You guys set up this lame strawman argument where what the detractors want is the Cowboys to blow $90MM in cap space in one offseason. Few have suggested that's what the Cowboys should do.

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you exaggerate things.
The honesty is the realness of the salary cap. You do realize that the core of our team needs to be signed still? Who is the F.A. that you wanted to sign so that I can better understand where you are coming from?

Sydla

Reaction score
The honesty is the realness of the salary cap. You do realize that the core of our team needs to be signed still? Who is the F.A. that you wanted to sign so that I can better understand where you are coming from?

I would have brought in HaHa Clinton-Dix at $3.5MM for one year. He is an upgrade on Heath.

You do realize the Cowboys can bring in a couple of mid-range FAs, especially ones on one year deals, and still have the money to sign their own guys, right?

People need to stop using the cap as an excuse for the Cowboys bottom feeding in FA.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
I would have brought in HaHa Clinton-Dix at $3.5MM for one year. He is an upgrade on Heath.

You do realize the Cowboys can bring in a couple of mid-range FAs, especially ones on one year deals, and still have the money to sign their own guys, right?

People need to stop using the cap as an excuse for the Cowboys bottom feeding in FA.
Right I totally agree with your point (except on HaHA), which is why I said in my posts to bring in the cheapest BPA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

What is your explanation for why the Cowboys don’t follow this script?

Sydla

Reaction score
What is your explanation for why the Cowboys don’t follow this script?

I think they overvalue their own guys. They often tend to think what they need in FA is just depth guys often not using FA to find starters to fill in a clear hole.

I also think they tend to be reactionary to a fault. They've been burned by larger FA deals in the past so they now go the opposite extreme and look for the cheap deals that carry little pain if it fails.

I also think they overvalue their ability to fill all their holes in the draft.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they overvalue their own guys. They often tend to think what they need in FA is just depth guys often not using FA to find starters to fill in a clear hole.

I also think they tend to be reactionary to a fault. They've been burned by larger FA deals in the past so they now go the opposite extreme and look for the cheap deals that carry little pain if it fails.

I also think they overvalue their ability to fill all their holes in the draft.
It’s like I said . If they can’t evaluate their own guys properly how can they trust evaluating others?

Recognizing their weaknesses translates into less risk or lower valued FA acquisition. They’d rather risk a drug problem or injury history with talent even they can see because it’s not as expensive.

Here’s a trend that Jumbo pointed out in this thread which I think is pretty spot on. The Cowboys in FA pursue short term solutions with low risk then draft similar positions for longer term solutions.