Twitter: Cowboys are Dead Last in Opponent Penalty Yards

glimmerman

Reaction score
Wait…you’re forgetting 2019 when they were 17 teams that had more penalties called against them than Dallas, 2018, when 20 teams had more penalties called than Dallas, and 2017 when there were 21 teams with more penalties against them. That’s reality.

The truth is the Cowboys are the most penalized team in the league for the first time in many years. They weren’t last year or the year before or the year before that or the year before that. Those are facts.
How about the longest streak of a defensive line not getting holding calls in there favor. That was freaky. Every line in the league was holding us. Or it seemed that way..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the team needs to stop crying at all. This is the first time it has been really vocal with multiple players on the team. I say it's about time because it's been happening almost every week.
That’s what losers do. NFL history is full of teams that led the league in penalties and won SBs. John Madeen’s raiders, Jimmys Cowboys, the Seahawks a few yrs ago…all were called for lots of penalties yet played well enough to overcome it. Honestly, I’m more worried about seeing our players cry about penalties than anything else. They need to play better. Period.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The cowboys are a sloppy team. They have been so for a very long time. I'm not sure if there is ref bias as much as anticipation. Connor Williams likely has a rep at this point that gets him more ref eyes looking at him. While some of the calls on him are ticky tack, many are blatant. The same goes with the pass interference. Is it really that hard to tell your DB's to turn their head? If you run into a receiver with your arms up staring at his face, you are going to get flagged. Dallas does it so much that (IMO) refs anticipate it.

Personally, I see this as an aspect of the Jerry problem that is really the root cause of the 25 year stretch of playoff failure.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Wait…you’re forgetting 2019 when they were 17 teams that had more penalties called against them than Dallas, 2018, when 20 teams had more penalties called than Dallas, and 2017 when there were 21 teams with more penalties against them. That’s reality.

The truth is the Cowboys are the most penalized team in the league for the first time in many years. They weren’t last year or the year before or the year before that or the year before that. Those are facts.

You’re debating a completely different topic and not addressing what I said. I didn’t say anything about teams being more penalized than us. That’s not even what the OP was about. It was about PENALTY DIFFERENTIAL. I.e how many flags we get in comparison to the opponents that we played.

We are DEAD last since 2015. Which means, as I stated, somehow our opponents magically get less flags called against them when they play US to such a drastic degree that we have the hugest disparity in the NFL in the past 6 years. That’s what reality actually is. And you’re ignoring it like I said.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I can’t stand the refs and I totally feel like we get hosed bigtime in these games but that’s just part of our culture and nobody is coming to help the situation from the leagues end.

So the only thing Dallas can do is do their best to not let the refs decide the game because it will not be in our favor if they do.

Try scoring points and not starting out incredibly slow on offense. If you’re the Dallas Cowboys and you need the ref to make a call for you then good luck.
Exactly. Heres the problem though. How are you supposed to score when you cant move the ball due to penalties stopping every big gain you have?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
You're more then likely trying to justify your feelings towards the Cowboys if you don't see that we have more penalties on big plays then our opponents. That's actually pretty obvious and has been for years. Me and my friend have an ongoing joke that anytime the Cowboys score we wait until the FG unit is lining up for a kick to celebrate, because we don't know what the refs will call or do before they count it as a TD.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
How about the longest streak of a defensive line not getting holding calls in there favor. That was freaky. Every line in the league was holding us. Or it seemed that way..
No. They were and it seemed as though they were coached to, knowing it wouldn’t be called. I remember still shots of jerseys being stretched from behind for 3ft.

There were two streaks that year. One was like 9 games. Then another few.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re debating a completely different topic and not addressing what I said. I didn’t say anything about teams being more penalized than us. That’s not even what the OP was about. It was about PENALTY DIFFERENTIAL. I.e how many flags we get in comparison to the opponents that we played.

We are DEAD last since 2015. Which means, as I stated, somehow our opponents magically get less flags called against them when they play US to such a drastic degree that we have the hugest disparity in the NFL in the past 6 years. That’s what reality actually is. And you’re ignoring it like I said.
Ok, I hear you. Again IMO the only thing the players can do about any of that is PLAY BETTER. We aren’t losing because the other team is not being penalized. We just need to worry about what we can control- our team’s play.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That’s what losers do. NFL history is full of teams that led the league in penalties and won SBs. John Madeen’s raiders, Jimmys Cowboys, the Seahawks a few yrs ago…all were called for lots of penalties yet played well enough to overcome it. Honestly, I’m more worried about seeing our players cry about penalties than anything else. They need to play better. Period.

The Cowboys are third in opponent penalty yards per game this season. The title of this thread is misleading, but no doubt wildly popular.

Pittsburgh is first, then Tennessee, then Dallas.

NFL Team Opponent Penalty Yards per Game

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
My answer to this: The Cowboys need to play better. Period. They lost (also in their other losses) because they didn’t make enough plays when they had to.

The refs didn’t cause the missed FG, they didn’t cause the 3 dropped passes, they didn’t allow Kyler Murray to scramble 3 times for a key first down, they didn’t cause Dak to fumble, and they didn’t make Dallas burn a timeout because they were unprepared for an unusual FG attempt.

The Cowboys have 5 losses because they earned them.

Agree and if you look at the averages it’s not so obscene where you see something really affecting games. Most of our penalties are self inflicted. Maybe teams are more disciplined than we are

mardwin

Reaction score
Lack of leadership since 2015

That means their opponents are not getting the same penalty calls we are getting, man. Has nothing to do with leadership but with poor and inconsistent officiating.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The Cowboys opponents have the most offensive holding calls in the league this season with 28. Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Seattle are second with 26.

This thread is a joke.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Making up for it. Lol. That streak was years ago..

You're right, it was years ago. But this thread suggests it's still the case today when that's simply not true. But of course this crowd will eat it up.

Cowboys opponents have the second most penalties, third most penalty yards, and the most offensive holding calls this season, yet look at the thread title.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ok, I hear you. Again IMO the only thing the players can do about any of that is PLAY BETTER. We aren’t losing because the other team is not being penalized. We just need to worry about what we can control- our team’s play.
I agree that if we came out sharp and get on the board and get going and score points then a bad call is a non factor. I think it’s more about closer games when a bad call or non call makes the difference is the frustrating part and in more than one of our loses this year there was some pretty bad calls against us or obvious non calls. It’s happening to more teams than just us. But I only care about our team. Lol. The passes that were catches by opposing teams and they take plenty of steps and have the ball and tuned up field and it’s a fumble. Called a fumble and they decide to call it incomplete. Maybe called down from ny. That same play happened in 2 games. Both pivotal times in loses. Holding calls even the commentators look at and say there is nothing there. Just happens to take back a long run or pass. Not a first down where we get 2 yards or something. But over all I agree if we made those big plays and in games we are in charge of these calls don’t happen and if they did it won’t hurt anything but a players stat..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m not defending nfl officiating…it stinks. I’m just saying this team needs to stop crying about it and play better. Did we win 11 games just because we got better calls? The players don’t control the refs. Worry about what you can control. Don’t hold. Catch the ball. Don’t fumble. Execute. Etc.
I think that certain positions of weakness, inferior players get beat and have to commit penalties. And I mean the repeat offenders like Anthony Brown and Connor Williams for example. Seems to me that this isn't a new problem this season and it should have been addressed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You're right, it was years ago. But this thread suggests it's still the case today when that's simply not true. But of course this crowd will eat it up.

Cowboys opponents have the second most penalties, third most penalty yards, and the most offensive holding calls this season, yet look at the thread title.
Totally agree with you on the holding this year. They seem to be calling it more fairly. But they missed one Sunday on D-Law in the end zone. I saw it live (on tv) and was waiting on the flag. The still shot makes it look worse with the 2 refs standing there. Lol. The one ref looks like he is looking right at it. Blown calls and non calls in every game. Just hate it when it bends a game one way.