Cowboys are one of three teams to not appear in NFC Championship since 1996

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Interesting stat, but to me if you don't win the SB then getting to the conference championship game but losing it, or winning it and losing the SB isn't really any better, since that's the goal of a professional team, to win it all. And in a way it's worse to get there and lose, just increases the disappointment..

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We’ve had a lot of misfortune in the divisional round since our last title.

Irvin injures early against Carolina in 1996
Crayton missing two chances to beat NY in 2007
The Dez catch being overruled in 2014
Rodgers’ miraculous throw in 2016

All 4 times we were right there and it didn’t go our way

And our D decides not to show up vs the Rams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Interesting stat, but to me if you don't win the SB then getting to the conference championship game but losing it, or winning it and losing the SB isn't really any better, since that's the goal of a professional team, to win it all. And in a way it's worse to get there and lose, just increases the disappointment..
That's a load of nonsense IMO. There isn't a player alive that would rather get to the SB and lose than never get there at all. Getting there is an accomplishment in and of itself. Disappointment just means you care so your how can it be better to not give a damn?

If you believe in the law of averages then you had to know a dry spell of SB appearances was coming to the Dallas Cowboys after winning 3 SBs in 4 years. Just like the same can be predicted for the Pats once the Belichick/Brady connection expires. Once that connection is broken, the Pats won't see another SB for a few decades.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Wouldn’t any year you pick be arbitrary?
You missed his point. The fact that any year would be arbitrary makes you wonder why you would pick 1996, and of course it's because it's after the last year the Cowboys made the NFC championship game. The comment didn't pick a nice round number like "in the last 20 years" or "since the year 2000"

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's a load of nonsense IMO. There isn't a player alive that would rather get to the SB and lose than never get there at all. Getting there is an accomplishment in and of itself. Disappointment just means you care so your how can it be better to not give a damn?

If you believe in the law of averages then you had to know a dry spell of SB appearances was coming to the Dallas Cowboys after winning 3 SBs in 4 years. Just like the same can be predicted for the Pats once the Belichick/Brady connection expires. Once that connection is broken, the Pats won't see another SB for a few decades.

Note I said "to me", I never said that's the only way to look at it.

As far as there "isn't a player alive" who wouldn't take getting to the SB and lose instead of win, have you or anybody else asked every player who that happened to, like players from the Bills, Vikes, that that's how they feel? Everybody's not the same.

I'm sure most players would love to play in a SB, win or lose, but if I was a player and got there and lost, it would eat at me, at least some, for the rest of my days. I doubt Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith and all of the other players from the Bills are just thrilled to have lost 4 SBs in a row, and just getting there is fine and dandy, and not winning one doesn't gnaw at their thoughts at least on occasion?

Who knows, but if you don't feel the way I do, that's great, but that's not how I roll. Not to say I agonize over not winning a SB since the 1995 season, but what I said was getting almost here isn't really any BETTER, not a total disappointment. It's a matter of degree...

Last edited: