News: Cowboys are releasing Orton

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas made the smart move by cutting a guy that doesn't want to play anymore.

You were right and I was wrong. Good call on your part.

Frankly I'm still shocked it ended this way and don't agree completely with what the Cowboys did.

theSHOW

Reaction score
I wouldn't have cut him. It sends the wrong message to players that want out. Throw a hissy fit like Rat and Orton and we'll give you what you want.

I'd have cut him as soon as they signed Weeden so it looked strictly like a Cap Saving move. A business decision if you will. This looks like we blinked.

I am more pissed at Orton for doing this than the team for caving though. I really liked him.

The Cowboys wanted to get a 1st hand look at Brandon...and they did. Thus the release.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ah yes, that's right. So that dead money is what they could have gotten back if they put Orton on reserved/retired. That reinforces my point that it's a bad move to cut him. They should have just let him sit on reserved retired and kept his rights. They wouldn't have had to pay him his 2014 salary or had him take up a spot on the 53. Then they could have gone after the part of the signing bonus Orton would have owed them to breaking the contract. In that case there would be no dead money. (not exactly since it would have come back to the Cowboys in 2016, I think) but still.

Like I've noted - You can't just retire someone. If you could every team in the league would toss all their dead money deals that way.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He'll probably go to Arizona and come out with a decent payday this year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They're pursuing legal recourses against Rat still, I think. Too soon to say if he gets away with lying and faking an injury.

On Orton, I think his restructure last season created an extenuating circumstance, didn't it? I didn't like the cat and mouse, but I don't think this issue was completely cut-and-dry.

I agree Idgit, I think this situation was different than Ratliff. The restructure kinda threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. I get that the optics look bad here, it looks like he schooled us but there may be more to this situation than we really know.

As for Ratliff, it will have to be decided in the courts or arbitration. The problem is proving he was faking an injury. With a broken bone, its is easy to tell if a player if faking. You take an x-ray and the bone is either broken or its not. The problem is that with hamstrings, there is no way to tell if it is "pulled or strained" to the point of causing pain to the player. Yea, you can take an MRI to see if there is any tissue damage, but an MRI can come back clean with no tears visible yet still cause considerable pain. The problem is proving that a player says his hamstring hurts when it doesn't, that is the problem.

Personally, I don't think they are going to get back very much money from Ratliff when its all said and done.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
Really don't know the beef with Brandon Weeden. Didn't he hang up a good amount of points on us in Cowboys stadium a couple years back?

chagus

Reaction score
When
Not too thrilled about it.

Orton has proven he can win in this league, and played well enough to beat the Eagles last year.

Brandon Weeden hasn't shown anything. Let's say we're 6-4 next year and Romo goes down for a month. I felt confident that Orton could play .500 football and keep us in the hunt. Can't say I feel the same way about Weeden.

I know he was on the Browns but there is a reason we got him for basically pennies on the dollar for a former first round pick. There is a reason 31 other teams and scouts had little to no interest in him.

When pennies are all u have to spend, a former 1st rounder doesnt look like a bad buy. At all.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Idgit, I think this situation was different than Ratliff. The restructure kinda threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. I get that the optics look bad here, it looks like he schooled us but there may be more to this situation than we really know.

As for Ratliff, it will have to be decided in the courts or arbitration. The problem is proving he was faking an injury. With a broken bone, its is easy to tell if a player if faking. You take an x-ray and the bone is either broken or its not. The problem is that with hamstrings, there is no way to tell if it is "pulled or strained" to the point of causing pain to the player. Yea, you can take an MRI to see if there is any tissue damage, but an MRI can come back clean with no tears visible yet still cause considerable pain. The problem is proving that a player says his hamstring hurts when it doesn't, that is the problem.

Personally, I don't think they are going to get back very much money from Ratliff when its all said and done.

I don't expect much back on Rat, either. But at least they're trying to get it. I hope they get something. At lest they're trying to hold him accountable.

On top of everything else, there's the bad-mouthing of the organization Rat apparently did to Melton when they overlapped in CHI last season. The guy hurt his own team on purpose, then tried to damage us again when he was no longer a Cowboy. He deserves whatever negative consequences he gets.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't expect much back on Rat, either. But at least they're trying to get it. I hope they get something. At lest they're trying to hold him accountable.

On top of everything else, there's the bad-mouthing of the organization Rat apparently did to Melton when they overlapped in CHI last season. The guy hurt his own team on purpose, then tried to damage us again when he was no longer a Cowboy. He deserves whatever negative consequences he gets.

Wonder why he is trying to change his own name from Rat?:)

CCBoy

Reaction score
If only that was the test of a good QB.

I see Dallas as actually a good place for a quarterback to develop and grow. Orton had a QB rating at the 75 point level, before Dallas.

Weedon was drafted in the first round, but only in 2012. I saw Karl Douglas drafted in the 3rd round, from Texas A&I, to be the first black quarterback to tryout for the Baltimore Colts the first season that Johnny Unitus and Earl Morrill left the team. He was given a two game Exhibition tryout and cut. Fair?

I'm think that there is plenty of room for a Weedon to grow and storyline that can still be written. Growth is where one has a chance to grow, and the Cowboys have been feeling the guy's talents out through a variety of situations, this off season. The team is pretty good at quarterback evaluations now, and having both Jason Garrett and Wade Wilson to give directions for development for a quarterback.

As to use within a system, Scott Linehan and Bill Callahan should be a sound reference for the young quarterback.

The guy still needs time in games...and this summer, he should be well lead through some Exhibition games.

At least this fan is looking forward to watching it, how ever it develops.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're pursuing legal recourses against Rat still, I think. Too soon to say if he gets away with lying and faking an injury.

At this point, the facts say he has gotten away with it. Until any news surfaces to change or refute that fact, Ratliff got away with stealing money from the Cowboys.

On Orton, I think his restructure last season created an extenuating circumstance, didn't it? I didn't like the cat and mouse, but I don't think this issue was completely cut-and-dry.

I think I would need some solid facts on that point in order to change my position on it.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Not too thrilled about it.

Orton has proven he can win in this league, and played well enough to beat the Eagles last year.

No he hasn't! He was beat out by everyone's whipping boy, Tebow. He's been release from every team he has been on and the one time we really needed him, last year, he lost by throwing two horrible passes to end the game. What part of that screams that Orton has proven he can win?