Cowboys are starting to show their hand

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the Cowboys didn’t telegraph everything for once. The first round pick appears to be a left guard. Unless…..

I think the fans get a little crazy about the telegraphing thing.

Most teams have a very good idea about what other teams are thinking. They just have to look at the rosters and the play and know teams will be looking at specific positions or players.

You as a fan can look at other teams right now and tell that they will probably draft this or that player right now without ever reading a GM or FO of that teams during the off season.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
When your starting LG leaves and the ideal replacement is not on the team that means you have to draft 1. Question is whether you take that guy in round 1 or 2. Green or Johnson would be plug in and play guys. And would certainly fill a need.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the fans get a little crazy about the telegraphing thing.

Most teams have a very good idea about what other teams are thinking. They just have to look at the rosters and the play and know teams will be looking at specific positions or players.

You as a fan can look at other teams right now and tell that they will probably draft this or that player right now without ever reading a GM or FO of that teams during the off season.
You are right. Remember the talking heads made it look as if the Cowboys were going to trade up for Kyle Pitts. Some of the national media ran with the story.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I am gonna laugh when we use a first round pick on a WR.

Olave is an exceptional talent, but using our first on a position that isn’t a need, and is one of the strongest in the draft, would be rage enduring. Luckily, I don’t think Olave makes it to the Cowboys, nor the Arkansas guy.

Gaede

Reaction score
Same…I’ll be incredibly disappointed.

OL/DE all the way for me unless a stud falls at another position. Also think it’s a great year to trade down if we can and add a 3rd.

This should be the plan. None of these receivers are can't miss. We need toughness on both lines

VACowboy

Reaction score
Tells us more about Virginia's TE Woods. He is more of a receiver, blocker or both?
He's an all-around TE. He's 6-7 and 260 with long arms, a powerful inline blocker. He led TE's at the combine with 24 reps, had the second fastest forty at 4.61 and posted a vertical of 37.5 at the Virginia pro day. He demonstrated that explosiveness, length and power blowing past DBs down the field and stomping through linebackers en routeto the zone. He's an impossible cover posting up for 10 on third and long or ripping 30-yard seams and catching balls tie midgets around him can't touch. He's a big, lanky dude who doesn't exactly look like the most fluid when he moves, but he is fast and does have surprising suddenness in his routes that he uses to create separation. Is he the home run hitter that Kittle or Kelce is? No, but he is fast and does get open down the field, presenting a giant target that those guys don't. I agree with Cavanaugh. He looks like a coordinated giraffe on the field

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He's an all-around TE. He's 6-7 and 260 with long arms, a powerful inline blocker. He led TE's at the combine with 24 reps, had the second fastest forty at 4.61 and posted a vertical of 37.5 at the Virginia pro day. He demonstrated that explosiveness, length and power blowing past DBs down the field and stomping through linebackers en routeto the zone. He's an impossible cover posting up for 10 on third and long or ripping 30-yard seams and catching balls tie midgets around him can't touch. He's a big, lanky dude who doesn't exactly look like the most fluid when he moves, but he is fast and does have surprising suddenness in his routes that he uses to create separation. Is he the home run hitter that Kittle or Kelce is? No, but he is fast and does get open down the field, presenting a giant target that those guys don't. I agree with Cavanaugh. He looks like a coordinated giraffe on the field
Seems like a all around TE, is he more of an underneath TE like Shultz who thrives with play action or can he threaten teams up the seam? Excellent analysis

cowboyec

Reaction score
unless one of the top de's fall to us...i think its green or johnson or burks.
at 56...we get our pass rusher.
but you just never know what or who the draft tide brings in.
based on these drafts under mccarthy...he'll be the clear best player on the board.
all this moaning about no wr...who the hell cares as long as he's the best player on the board.
same ones whining about a pick that hasnt been made yet told me a few years ago it would be stupid to use a premium pick on a off ball linebacker.
a year before that...it was we shouldnt use a premium pick on a guard.
i believe they said how many 1st rd picks to we need starting on the oline.
blah blah blah.
now they are *****in about taking a wr and want a og instead.
this place sometimes.

garyv

Reaction score
I think we’re definitely telegraphing that we’ll be going OG or DE/Edge at #24.

We simply don’t have numbers at LG outside of McGovern which I don’t think the team is confident in. I can’t name a feasible backup on the roster in the interior of the line. The team has not attempted to address it through FA either. The tea leaves are clear as day right now.

We could squeeze our eyes and say “we’re ok” at DE, but I think the Cowboys will be looking to add some juice at that spot if the right player is available.

We need help at WR too, but I think the draft is deepest at that position so we’re more likely to sit back and address it in the 2nd/3rd round. At least that’s what I’d do.

As an aside, I see shades of Justin Jefferson with Olave.

We would be a fool to take a WR at #24 if they feel another WR is needed than use FA. My opinion at #24 if Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson is there thats who you take and the OL is the biggest need for this team. If both players are gone and Linderbaum is there than that's my 3rd choice. I love Linderbaum but lots of questions on him like arm length, lighter weight and him being able to handle 330 lb athletic nose tackles in the NFL. We are in a position not to gamble at #24 we need a walk-in starter that's why I lean to Green or Zion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jelani Woods looks better than some of the TEs that have been ranked ahead of him by the draft media.

The issue is that he is a 1-year wonder.

He went to OK State as a QB and then became a blocking TE.
- His blocking in 2020 was just OK.

Then he transferred to Virginia and blew up as a receiving TE.
- I could find many snaps of him blocking at Virginia.
- He did appear to had added some weight in 2021.

I like Woods and Cade Otton at some point in the draft.

The 1-year wonder risk likely results in Woods being drafted later than his 2021 game footage and measurables would otherwise dictate.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like a all around TE, is he more of an underneath TE like Shultz who thrives with play action or can he threaten teams up the seam? Excellent analysis

A late round TE to look at is Austin Allen.

Like Woods, his movements on pass routes are not pretty, but he surprisingly makes some nice Yards After Catch on occasion.

Blocking might be a tad better than Woods.

Slower than Woods and less total college TDs than Woods had in 2021, but Woods like likely 3rd or round now with a possibility of 2nd.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A late round TE to look at is Austin Allen.

Like Woods, his movements on pass routes are not pretty, but he surprisingly makes some nice Yards After Catch on occasion.

Blocking might be a tad better than Woods.

Slower than Woods and less total college TDs than Woods had in 2021, but Woods like likely 3rd or round now with a possibility of 2nd.
It seems like there aren't any elite options this yr, but a lot of quality depth at the position. I would prefer more of an balanced TE who can actually block, but I think this staff may want more of a hybrid big receiver type at the position. The position should stretch into the 5th round.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With 30 day visits leaks starting to come out and attendance at pro days around the country, the Cowboys are making it know which positions that they would like to address via the draft:

WR-Burks, Olave-both are 1st rd receivers. (30 day)
TE-Otton, Woods, Wydermyer (30 day) Moore at Iowa State (Kolar), Krull was being workout out.
G-Green (30 day)
DL-Leal (30 day) Quinn worked out Sam Williams, Ebiketie. Our DL Coach went to Uconn to work out Travis Jones.
cowboys are going to surprise everyone, and Jerry is going to pull a Al Davis and draft a kicker.... you heard it hear first....the guy is dang close to being senile if not already....