Cowboys at Dirk's Final Home Game

scottsp

Reaction score
Doesn't count. Dirk can barely walk now.

The point is, the Mavs had a long run of 50-game seasons mostly with a group of second-tier players to go with Dirk. He didn't bail out like Kevin Durant or LeBron James or Kevin Garnett to go chase a ring. He stayed put and did it the hard way.

This.

For a 48 year-old such as myself, who fondly remembers the expansion Mavericks, circa October 1980, following passionately since, I have seen all kinds pass through. From the early days under Motta and building through the eighties, then dropping off a cliff in the nineties when they were the absolute worst franchise in professional sports on this continent.

Dirk predates Cuban's arrival so this franchise was adrift when the Nelsons made that draft night trade. For those who remember, he did not have the look of a promising NBA prospect early on; there were some really ugly nights for him in the '98-99 season. This guy is the living embodiment of self-made. He has been the face, the centerpiece, and put this franchise on his back for the better part of two decades.

Think about the teams he took to the finals. The starters in the 2006 Finals for Dallas included Adrian Griffin, DeSagana Diop, and Josh Howard. That's coming out of the West! This to ask, who was his best teammate - ever? Jason Terry? Steve Nash did become an MVP in Phoenix, but he was never that guy here.

All due respect to JET, but of the all-time greats I have to believe their 'Robin' is topping that.

Last edited:

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was probably the 2002-2003 team that was the 1st with Dirk to make it to the Western Conference Finals.

2002-2003 Made it to the Western Conference Finals (Lost to San Antonio)
C Shawn Bradley

C Evan Eschmeyer
C Raef LaFrentz (51.8 FG percentage in 2002-2003)
PF Popeye Jones
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PG Avery Johnson
PG Steve Nash
SF Michael Finley

SF Eduardo Najera
SF Mark Strickland
SF Walt Williams
SG Tariq Abdul-Wahad
SG Raja Bell
SG Adrian Griffin

SG Adam Harrington
SG Antoine Rigaudeau
SG Nick Van Exel

2010-2011 Won NBA Finals
C Alexis Ajinca
C Tyson Chandler
C Brendan Haywood
C Ian Mahinmi
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PG J.J. Barea

PG Rodrigue Beaubois
PG Jason Kidd
SF Caron Butler
SF Brian Cardinal
SF Shawn Marion

SF Steve Novak
SF Sasha Pavlovic
SF Peja Stojakovic
SG Corey Brewer
SG Dominique Jones
SG DeShawn Stevenson
SG Jason Terry

2005-2006 Made it to the NFA Finals
C Erick Dampier

C DeSagana Diop
C Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
C Pavel Podkolzin
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PF Josh Powell
PG Darrell Armstrong
PG Devin Harris
PG Jason Terry

SF Josh Howard
SF Rawle Marshall
SF Keith Van Horn
SG Doug Christie
SG Marquis Daniels
SG Adrian Griffin
SG Jerry Stackhouse

2006 Finals *

*I think we all know what this is for

erod

Reaction score
This.

For a 48 year-old such as myself, who fondly remembers the expansion Mavericks, circa October 1980, following passionately since, I have seen all kinds pass through. From the early days under Motta and building through the eighties, then dropping off a cliff in the nineties when they were the absolute worst franchise in professional sports on this continent.

Dirk predates Cuban's arrival so this franchise was adrift when the Nelsons made that draft night trade. For those who remember, he did not have the look of a promising NBA prospect early on; there were some really ugly nights for him in the '98-99 season. This guy is the living embodiment of self-made. He has been the face, the centerpiece, and put this franchise on his back for the better part of two decades.

Think about the teams he took to the finals. The starters in the 2006 Finals for Dallas included Adrian Griffin, DeSagana Diop, and Josh Howard. That's coming out of the West! This to ask, who was his best teammate - ever? Jason Terry? Steve Nash did become an MVP in Phoenix, but he was never that guy here.

All due respect to JET, but of the all-time greats I have to believe their 'Robin' is topping that.

I always get a chuckle when I see Cuban tear up talking about Dirk. Part of that is love, and part of that is relieved embarrassment.

Cuban knows Dirk saved his butt because just about every move Cuban has made has been a disaster. He didn't draft Dirk, the previous owner did. He's failed time after time to recruit players to Dallas. The draft was always a joke. He only got Tyson Chandler because of a failed physical in OKC. He only became a billionaire because he managed to sell broadcast.com for billions, which was scrapped shortly thereafter. Dirk played with 199 players in his career, which is about 30 more than second place, because Dallas had to rifle through castaways and old veterans to patchwork teams together for Dirk's 21 seasons.

Ironically, the year Dirk is leaving, it looks like they FINALLY made two crucial moves. Drafting Luka and trading for Porzingis. Another good pick and a key free agent, and this thing might be ready to take off again.

But the absence of Dirk inside and out of that locker room will be an enormous obstacle to overcome. Many a good team have imploded because of the lack of a presence like Dirk.

Shall be interesting to see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who's the best player Dirk ever played with? Nash? Terry? 38-year-old Kidd?

That's what makes him so great, as Charles Barkley says. He stayed in one place and made it work here with what was here.
Right . Never had an All Star cast around him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I always get a chuckle when I see Cuban tear up talking about Dirk. Part of that is love, and part of that is relieved embarrassment.

Cuban knows Dirk saved his butt because just about every move Cuban has made has been a disaster. He didn't draft Dirk, the previous owner did. He's failed time after time to recruit players to Dallas. The draft was always a joke. He only got Tyson Chandler because of a failed physical in OKC. He only became a billionaire because he managed to sell broadcast.com for billions, which was scrapped shortly thereafter. Dirk played with 199 players in his career, which is about 30 more than second place, because Dallas had to rifle through castaways and old veterans to patchwork teams together for Dirk's 21 seasons.

Ironically, the year Dirk is leaving, it looks like they FINALLY made two crucial moves. Drafting Luka and trading for Porzingis. Another good pick and a key free agent, and this thing might be ready to take off again.

But the absence of Dirk inside and out of that locker room will be an enormous obstacle to overcome. Many a good team have imploded because of the lack of a presence like Dirk.

Cuban. An awful owner. Probably worse than Jerry.

Dallas had originally two of the best owners in professional sports to end up with two of the worst.

scottsp

Reaction score

Good to see someone else recalling Dallas' good fortune on Tyson, because if not for Thunder nixing that deal over concerns centering around his big toe, that title run seems less likely.

You won't get too much in the way of argument from me on MC's failures. Their idea of team building over there is a bit of a joke as far I'm concerned. The annual post-title reboots where the roster turnover could be best measured by a turnstile is still very much a sore subject for me, starting with their offer to Chandler in the fall of 2011 at the end of the lockout - to chase D-Will and Dwight pipe dreams. Their approach failed the fans and, more importantly, failed Dirk.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I cried so much last night watching this.

@erod @Diehardblues @scottsp @DFWJC @xwalker and the rest of you DFW guys....do you agree with this statement?

Oh yeah.
Such a great guy all -around.

Like Barkley said last night. Sir Charles has been in the league one way or another for 36 years and Dirk is THE nicest guy he's ever met. The guy is just humble and real. He's made Dallas his family home (wife and three kids) and is very active in charity work and the city as a whole.
Just a great ambassador.
True icon.

erod

Reaction score

@erod @Diehardblues @scottsp @DFWJC @xwalker and the rest of you DFW guys....do you agree with this statement?

Absolutely. He's just a special person, much like Staubach.

As Greg Popovich said about Dirk, "He got over himself a long time ago."

As Barkley said, "People ask me 'what about this guy, what about this guy." I'll say this about Dirk Nowitzki. He's the nicest man ever."

He should hate Cuban and Donnie Nelson for their endless failures. Instead, he chose to just outwork their mistakes.

He's the most beloved sports figure in a city that has Roger, Lilly, Emmitt, Troy, Modano, Pudge, Nolan, and Beltre.

That says everything.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
That was probably the 2002-2003 team that was the 1st with Dirk to make it to the Western Conference Finals.

2002-2003 Made it to the Western Conference Finals (Lost to San Antonio)
C Shawn Bradley

C Evan Eschmeyer
C Raef LaFrentz (51.8 FG percentage in 2002-2003)
PF Popeye Jones
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PG Avery Johnson
PG Steve Nash
SF Michael Finley

SF Eduardo Najera
SF Mark Strickland
SF Walt Williams
SG Tariq Abdul-Wahad
SG Raja Bell
SG Adrian Griffin

SG Adam Harrington
SG Antoine Rigaudeau
SG Nick Van Exel

2010-2011 Won NBA Finals
C Alexis Ajinca
C Tyson Chandler
C Brendan Haywood
C Ian Mahinmi
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PG J.J. Barea

PG Rodrigue Beaubois
PG Jason Kidd
SF Caron Butler
SF Brian Cardinal
SF Shawn Marion

SF Steve Novak
SF Sasha Pavlovic
SF Peja Stojakovic
SG Corey Brewer
SG Dominique Jones
SG DeShawn Stevenson
SG Jason Terry

2005-2006 Made it to the NFA Finals
C Erick Dampier

C DeSagana Diop
C Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
C Pavel Podkolzin
PF Dirk Nowitzki
PF Josh Powell
PG Darrell Armstrong
PG Devin Harris
PG Jason Terry

SF Josh Howard
SF Rawle Marshall
SF Keith Van Horn
SG Doug Christie
SG Marquis Daniels
SG Adrian Griffin
SG Jerry Stackhouse

A vary good team that was.

erod

Reaction score
Amazing Dirk stat.

He has scored 9.76% of all the points the Mavericks have scored in franchise history.

He has also played in 58% of all of the franchise wins.

He missed the initial 18 seasons.

erod

Reaction score
Cuban. An awful owner. Probably worse than Jerry.

Dallas had originally two of the best owners in professional sports to end up with two of the worst.

Cuban's most notable master stroke was creating a web of sexual harassment and domstic violence that rightly should have gotten him a Donald Sterling sentence from the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Im really too old to get as emotionally invested in these kids anymore. My interest in the Mavs in recent years has faded . Dirks not even my fav Mav player. Rolando Blackman and Mark Aquire. That 80’s team was my favorite. Too bad there was a team called Showtime,

stiletto

Reaction score
Props to Dirk for a great career. I'm not a basketball fan at all but I was impressed by the turnout by our Cowboys team even the newcomer (Cobb). Not much else needs to be said.