Cowboys Begin Extension Talks With Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper

cern

Reaction score
makes perfect sense. the qb of the future and a true #1 wr. love and marriage. horse and carriage.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It depends on what the Seahawks ultimately do with Clark. Wilson is currently counting for $25 million against the cap before his extension and Clark is getting $17 million. That's $42 million right there. The 2019 cap hit for Lawrence is just $11 million.

I'm speaking on the per year average of the new deals, as Dak also will count for less like Russell this year because they have 1 more year left. But yeah, if they sign Clark for more than Lawrence, they're the new trendsetters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm speaking on the per year average of the new deals, as Dak also will count for less like Russell this year because they have 1 more year left. But yeah, if they sign Clark for more than Lawrence, they're the new trendsetters.

I have to wonder if Wilson's new deal means that Clark won't get one now? There were rumors that the Seahawks were having trade talks about him. Or maybe he plays out the franchise tag and leaves in 2020? Clark has never been what you would call a great "character investment".

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I have to wonder if Wilson's new deal means that Clark won't get one now? There were rumors that the Seahawks were having trade talks about him. Or maybe he plays out the franchise tag and leaves in 2020? Clark has never been what you would call a great "character investment".

I don't think anyone sees Clark as equal to Lawrence, Clowney skill-wise. He's in the Trey Flowers/Dee Ford bracket. So if he's asking for 20m, I think Seattle is shrewd enough just to franchise him a few times then take the 3rd comp pick.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He literally said nothing like that. Fans do say the darndest things.

That is what is being implied.

Jones was ranked in the top 5-10 depending on which analytical site you choose - so yes, it does come down to "Jones isn't perfect, so don't pay him"

Forget the fact that he wasn't targeted often and when he was targeted, QBs had little to no success outside of a couple games.

Yes, it would be great if Jones was Revis in his prime, but the chances of getting that is low. You don't let a good/great corner walk just because.

Also Jones had 14 pass deflections - so it's not as though he's not doing anything.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That is what is being implied.

Jones was ranked in the top 5-10 depending on which analytical site you choose - so yes, it does come down to "Jones isn't perfect, so don't pay him"

Forget the fact that he wasn't targeted often and when he was targeted, QBs had little to no success outside of a couple games.

Yes, it would be great if Jones was Revis in his prime, but the chances of getting that is low. You don't let a good/great corner walk just because.

His point is more likely that he won't be worth to the Cowboys the enormous contract he'll command. That's not "ditch him because he's not perfect".

mattjames2010

Reaction score
His point is more likely that he won't be worth to the Cowboys the enormous contract he'll command. That's not "ditch him because he's not perfect".

That is not his point - again, he stated he doesn't make plays on the ball (this is false), thus that is the reason to not pay him. Where has it been stated he'll get an "enormous" contract?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That is not his point - again, he stated he doesn't make plays on the ball (this is false), thus that is the reason to not pay him. Where has it been stated he'll get an "enormous" contract?

Are you implying you don't believe he's in line for a upper echelon cornerback deal?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Are you implying you don't believe he's in line for a upper echelon cornerback deal?

I am asking you where you heard he will be getting an "enormous" contract? He could get somewhere around what Stephon Gilmore/Bouye gets and that wouldn't be "enormous".

mattjames2010

Reaction score
For a corner, yes it is. 13 million a year? Insane money

That's not "insane" money. The top 10-15 corners in the league make around 10-13 mil a year, this is not "enormous"

Maybe your definition of "enormous" and now "insane" are very different than everyone else - but when I look at "insane" contracts, I look at something like Landon Collins having a contract with a total of 84 mil when the closest contract to it is 51 mil. That's "enormously insane"

What Jones would be getting is around average for what a top 10-15 corner gets. That's the market.

conner01

Reaction score
Eitherway i don't think Jones will be offered a contract until next season. Dak and Cooper this year and then maybe Zeke and Jaylon next year but those will be before Jones. In my opinion
I know many want to keep them all but I’m not so sure jones is gonna get extended
Some argue he doesn’t get ints so he shouldn’t but covering is pretty important too
Some say he’s a great cover guy which is true but it’s really not about him so much as the numbers
You really can’t have every starter on a second contract

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not surprising. They said they wanted to get it done before the season. Dak likely 25 per and Amari like 16 per. Seems inevitable.

Both players' cap hits the first year would probably be about half of that, so Amari's would lower this year by around $6 million (pushing our cap space to $25 million) while Dak would cost about $13 million. So we would essentially (taking our rookie money) have about $10 million for any other extensions without restructuring any contracts. That should be enough to do at least one more extension, if Dallas goes that route.

I'm still not in favor of extending Prescott yet, but this seems to be the direction they are going.