Cowboys believe biggest reason for defensive improvement will be Dan Quinn

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dan has his work cut out for him. But you want instant improvement for the defense....get back to the power run game even when they stack the box. Win TOP, keep our defense off the field, be efficient in the passing game, go for it on short and goal, TD over Fg's. That's the formula we used in the early part of Daks career and that's what helped us win games with a bad defense that looked better on paper and stats than they actually were.
MUST have some threat in the passing game for that to work.

Dak has had some success in the regard. mostly because teams never feared him....and he was able to do some damage. BUT...he was never able to burn them consistently like Rodgers/Brady/Brees.

You can't just have a power run game without any aerial attack.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Setting Dan up to be the scapegoat. Nah it's on the Joneses n McClay to get some players, and so far they have no interest in acquiring players that can substantially change the defense.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I am prepared to be underwhelmed with the results from Quinn this fall. This Defense needs an influx of talent. Big Time.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am prepared to be underwhelmed with the results from Quinn this fall. This Defense needs an influx of talent. Big Time.
We will do the Rod Marinelli thing with him.

Expecting he can coach them up.

Then fire him when he can't get the job done.

Bottom line, this organization hasn't drafted or acquired quality defensive personnel since Jimmy Johnson left.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We will do the Rod Marinelli thing with him.

Expecting he can coach them up.

Then fire him when he can't get the job done.

Bottom line, this organization hasn't drafted or acquired quality defensive personnel since Jimmy Johnson left.
Rod got 6 years with the Cowboys. He chose Taco & Hill and others. Did you really want to give him a new contract?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rod got 6 years with the Cowboys. He chose Taco & Hill and others. Did you really want to give him a new contract?
No, that is not what I was saying.

We lack a true talent evaluator so then we entrust it to the coach.

And of course, the coach with intellectual vanity can think they can coach up anyone. Then they communicate that to our stupid leadership. They proceed.

The real issue here is we do not have a responsible talent evaluator.

And get out of here with the Will McClay nonsense.

He has built a career out of figuring out this dysfunction and is probably getting paid handsomely.

There is a reason he doesn't seek out a real GM job that has accountability.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No, that is not what I was saying.

We lack a true talent evaluator so then we entrust it to the coach.

And of course, the coach with intellectual vanity can think they can coach up anyone. Then they communicate that to our stupid leadership. They proceed.

The real issue here is we do not have a responsible talent evaluator.

And get out of here with the Will McClay nonsense.

He has built a career out of figuring out this dysfunction and is probably getting paid handsomely.

There is a reason he doesn't seek out a real GM job that has accountability.
The only nonsense is your post.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Translation Jerry and Stephen think everyone they sign will be golden!!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Quinn is certainly capable, but the last time he had a top flight D was w/Seattle & a roster built around multiple Hall of Fame caliber players. He won’t have that in Dallas.

He didn’t have it w/Atlanta either, resulting in a 45-42 record during his 5+ seasons there & a D that never ranked in the top half of the league.
Getcha Popcorn Ready!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys are handcuffing Dan Quinn with someone else's scheme. DQ could do very good things for this defense if they would just let Quinn do what he does. McCarthy doesn't want to make the changes.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
MUST have some threat in the passing game for that to work.

Dak has had some success in the regard. mostly because teams never feared him....and he was able to do some damage. BUT...he was never able to burn them consistently like Rodgers/Brady/Brees.

You can't just have a power run game without any aerial attack.

We have plenty of receiving threats to make any offense work. Hell we have more really good passing options now than when we had a power run game early in Daks career. If you remember we didn't have that great of an ariel attack. Dak and Dez struggled to mesh, witt was just a shirt route guy, cole was only used on short 3rd downs, Williams was average at best with a short catch radius. They certainly aren't the reason we had a dominant ground game, that was from the OL being dominant and a fresh zeke.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So they believe that all they need is a good coach and minimal talent?

If that's the case Jerry and Stephen are in for a big, big surprise.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The team that just gave up a franchise record for points?
I don’t care what players you have if you don’t have the coaches you don’t have the players. It’s about coaching make no mistake about it

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So they believe that all they need is a good coach and minimal talent?

If that's the case Jerry and Stephen are in for a big, big surprise.
Give me a bunch of football players with great coaching and I will a championship. Making no mistake about it it’s about the scheme and how you put your players in a position to win.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Guru after guru - twenty-something years later? Bupkis. I watch the games but I gave up expecting anything meaningful. Sell the team, Jerry... please - cash out. Because you ceased being a championship contributor almost thirty years ago.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Guru after guru - twenty-something years later? Bupkis. I watch the games but I gave up expecting anything meaningful. Sell the team, Jerry... please - cash out. Because you ceased being a championship contributor almost thirty years ago.
Just look at the coaches that should be enough to tell you why. We’re special-teams the worst in the league yes until we change the coach. Give it a shot

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Give me a bunch of football players with great coaching and I will a championship. Making no mistake about it it’s about the scheme and how you put your players in a position to win.

Unfortunately, we have neither. I don't think Dan Quinn is that great of a coach. Until I'm proven wrong. To make things worst we have one of the least talented defenses in the league.