Cowboys believe biggest reason for defensive improvement will be Dan Quinn

Plankton

Reaction score
Oh the irony of a front office that doesn't value what a head coach brings to an organization claiming that a new coach will be the biggest reason for improvement on defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Any coach would have looked successful with the talent Seattle had 2013-2014. Maybe Quinn had a hand in choosing and developing that talent. Hope so, otherwise we will be looking at 2015-2020 defenses.

Marinelli didn’t even last a year with Chucky. Oakland Defense under Marinelli stunk That is how bad he was. Maybe our defenses were held back by Marinelli.

Maybe coordinators make little difference.
Marinelli tended to be a player whisperer, a coach who could get the most out of JAG's. He was deficient in every other aspect as a DC. Especially in schemes and personnel.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh the irony of a front office that doesn't value what a head coach brings to an organization claiming that a new coach will be the biggest reason for improvement on defense.
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

JBS

Reaction score
doesn't matter what has happened in the past (just ask the browns or lions) , there is no defined amount of time to wait for a team to be successful again.

The way i look at it is we have a new coaching regime and its going to take at least 2 full real seasons before we have a shot a good turnaround...that means we build on what we finished the back half of last year with, hope for a year competing for a playoff spot as an NFCE winner then look to 2023 as the next big op for a championship contender.

can't just snap your fingers and expect to be good or say we have been suffering for 25 years so its time...MM and crew need time to draft a few years and build the team, its just what it is

You know what speeds the process up? Bringing talent to your roster. You know how you do that? By signing good players in free agency. You know what you don't do? Expect your best acquisition on the defensive side of the ball to be a defensive coordinator. Fail.

Aven8

Reaction score
I mean, yeah, Nolan was trash. But the reality is the Jones boys typically think their roster construction is really good and it's another force that is holding back it's greatness. So last year wasn't even remotely close to a talent issue, it was solely, 100% due to Nolan.

That's what they tell themselves when they ham and egg it at DT and S again.

Stephen spewed this crap last season that they had one of the most talented rosters they’ve ever had......

817Gill

Reaction score
Not saying I would think the same, but I don’t see how it’s hard for y’all to see what they mean here. We have 4-3 personnel, the biggest reason the defense was so bad last year wasn’t talent; it was taking 4-3 guys and trying to make them 3-4 guys with no off-season. Probably the most gross underestimation last year was thinking we could transition to a 3-4 without a Parcells-esque makeover or normal offseason.

You take the 4-3 guys, some of which were Pro-Bowlers just a few seasons back, and let them play the scheme they know and are suited for and you’ll be shocked at how much better they’ll be. Is it an improvement from 32nd to top 10? No, but that alone will make us a competitive D.

Draft 2 starters plus sign one more vet starter (Kazee/Hooker) and you’ve given yourself a significant upgrade from last year.

Again I’m not saying it would be my strategy, but it’s one that makes sense.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You mean Quinn had no say and was not consulted on personnel after accepting the head coaching role?
Don't put words in my mouth. 100% he had input, but at the end of the day Dimitroff was buying the groceries.

Motorola

Reaction score
I really dont think Quinn was in charge of player acquisition though. Just my opinion. If you look at the draft capital spent during the Quinn years its not defense heavy. Also. He did make it to a Superbowl as a HC. So . Say what you want about his defense but it was obviously good enough to get to the dance. Until boy wonder Kyle screwed it up.
However, Quinn drew ire from Falcons fans because as HC he should have overuled Shanahan in that fateful 4th qtr.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dan has his work cut out for him. But you want instant improvement for the defense....get back to the power run game even when they stack the box. Win TOP, keep our defense off the field, be efficient in the passing game, go for it on short and goal, TD over Fg's. That's the formula we used in the early part of Daks career and that's what helped us win games with a bad defense that looked better on paper and stats than they actually were.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Do you think anything will change when Jerry kicks it?
Ive always said that apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and Stephen hasn't stepped his game up enough to know or have any idea what he would do when that time comes.
I would hope that Stephen would bring in a real GM to get that dept where it needs to be, guess we will see in our lifetimes, unless Jerry is having organs cloned and he lives another 100 years.

Motorola

Reaction score
Except Thomas Dimitroff bought the groceries, not Dan Quinn
Don't put words in my mouth. 100% he had input, but at the end of the day Dimitroff was buying the groceries.
One of Dimitroff and Quinn's biggest failures was putting together anOLine that was capable of sustaining a run game (the '16 & '17 seasons were primarily QB Ryan, WR Jones and the rest of the passing attack).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ive always said that apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and Stephen hasn't stepped his game up enough to know or have any idea what he would do when that time comes.
I would hope that Stephen would bring in a real GM to get that dept where it needs to be, guess we will see in our lifetimes, unless Jerry is having organs cloned and he lives another 100 years.

I think things will change, but I dont think a GM will be brought in. I think Stephan will sit there in the kings chair and have the last word on picks and FA's. I just think he will be a lot more informed doing it and he wont have these stupid ideas that Jerry has for as long as Jerry has them.