Cowboys blew their best window to win with Sensational Rookies

Loso86

Reaction score
That’s the point though. You don’t have to mortgage the future on any Rookie contract.
Yea but if you want a good one your best chances are trading away your future to move up or sucking bad enough to be that high up

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team has to decide what they are going to do or willing to do at QB. The Skins went all in on Griffin and they lost but they did try. Teams that find themselves in the top 5 picks have nothing to lose in taking a QB. Although, imo, there are closer to sure things at DE, CB and OT than any of these QB's.

What did the Cowboys see in Lynch that they would not only try to trade up but lament not giving up enough to get him? These are the same people some want giving up picks to go after the QB? Stop! Think about just who is picking. How much luck do you think they have at QB?

The Cowboys already have needs that they will likely not fill on the first 2 days of this draft and you want them to give some of those picks up? To pick a QB? The success of 1st round QB's is a real mixed bag but more misses than hits and that is a product of selling themselves on players and having to play rookie QB's too early.

cern

Reaction score
Every team has to decide what they are going to do or willing to do at QB. The Skins went all in on Griffin and they lost but they did try. Teams that find themselves in the top 5 picks have nothing to lose in taking a QB. Although, imo, there are closer to sure things at DE, CB and OT than any of these QB's.

What did the Cowboys see in Lynch that they would not only try to trade up but lament not giving up enough to get him? These are the same people some want giving up picks to go after the QB? Stop! Think about just who is picking. How much luck do you think they have at QB?

The Cowboys already have needs that they will likely not fill on the first 2 days of this draft and you want them to give some of those picks up? To pick a QB? The success of 1st round QB's is a real mixed bag but more misses than hits and that is a product of selling themselves on players and having to play rookie QB's too early.
the broncos have been passing qb's like flour through a sieve. at least it shows they understand the importance of the position. and also that they know great qb's don't grow on trees. they're in short supply. blowing a high pick is bad enough. blowing one on a qb is the worst.

Swagger

Reaction score

Fair points but the flip side of the coin is the Chiefs trading up for Patrick Mahomes. If they didn't make that move then...they don't win the Superbowl last season.

In reality, if a team has a quality and proficient scouting network then you trust them to do their job.

The Commanders were unfortunate with RG3 as they looked unplayable at times until he injured his knee and rather than him sitting, he played through an awful injury that ultimately all but ended his career as a starter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fair points but the flip side of the coin is the Chiefs trading up for Patrick Mahomes. If they didn't make that move then...they don't win the Superbowl last season.

In reality, if a team has a quality and proficient scouting network then you trust them to do their job.

The Commanders were unfortunate with RG3 as they looked unplayable at times until he injured his knee and rather than him sitting, he played through an awful injury that ultimately all but ended his career as a starter.
Of course. However, if they pay him huge, then we'll see what happens moving forward.

Yes and no. There were many signs that RGIII would fail. I never thought he was a good enough prospect to give up the farm for.

Swagger

Reaction score
Of course. However, if they pay him huge, then we'll see what happens moving forward.

Yes and no. There were many signs that RGIII would fail. I never thought he was a good enough prospect to give up the farm for.

I agree re Mahomes but they have a Superbowl locked down now so their decision has been vindicated regardless.

I know what you mean re RG3. He was like a poor mans Lamar Jackson. Still, he looked electric until his injury even though he had yet to prove himself as a pocket passer.

If someone like Herbert somehow dropped to us then...

Swagger

Reaction score
As the opening poster indicated, we have had fantastic value from Dak Prescott given that he was a fourth round draft pick. It's a shame that as a team, we couldn't make full use of that as now we are entering the danger zone of spunking our junk on a QB.

cern

Reaction score

the chiefs have andy reid as their coach. doubt mahomey would have been the same playing for garrett. rg111 did have shanahan, but danny Snyder couldn't stay out of the way. fortunately, mike also took cousins that year in the 4th round and did well with him. can't understate the value of good coaching.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the broncos have been passing qb's like flour through a sieve. at least it shows they understand the importance of the position. and also that they know great qb's don't grow on trees. they're in short supply. blowing a high pick is bad enough. blowing one on a qb is the worst.
Safety in numbers, the more they try, the better chance they have of finding one. The opposite of what the Cowboys have done, picking backups from the get go.

The way GB picked Rodgers is the way to go but that was because he fell so far. Like this year with Burrow and Tua, most drafts had Rodgers going right behind Smith and a couple with him ahead of Smith.

There is no better example of the life of a QB than Alex Smith. He is a good QB, accurate and mobile, but he was being called bust because of his draft position and few were considering 5 OC's in his first 5 years but Reid saw something in him and then something better in Mahomes.

The Chiefs gave up their 1st and 3rd and next year's 1st to go up from 27 to 10 for a QB not nearly as publicized as Burrow and Tua. 17 spots up but with that HC as the picker of the QB, I would have OK'd that as their GM.

Greg is proposing this team, THIS TEAM, trade from 17 to 1 to take a QB in hopes they get a Tier 1 when they already have a Tier 2. Cheaper and easier on the cap? Sure but could be a team wrecker of a trade and Booger is the last guy I'd send into the village with the family cow to trade. That beanstalk came up with Romo and Prescott, push luck and she'll break your heart.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But the Chiefs have one thing the Cowboys do not have, the best QB coach and evaluator in the NFL.

He was it in McNabb and Smith but I wonder if he would have seen that in Wentz?

Snyder got seduced and the need was strong for a QB. The Cowboys do not have that need, I do not see the need to trade up for any QB unless they just let this one walk and then there's not much choice.

CIN, MIA and LAC are not taking a risk and if they do any trades, they're close enough not to get gutted. Trading from 1 to 3 from 17 is too far to go when the other team knows what you're going up for.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If the Players are blowing it and the HC doesn't do anything to fix it, that's on the HC. That's why he's called HC, he's getting paid to take responsibility. If the players are not playing up to their ability, that's on the coach.
BS... in the SB a perfect defense was called, and tyreke hill faked an out and the safety bit, and with Hill's athleticism he burned the safety and made a huge catch. is that coaching? Can a player biting on a fake be corrected with coaching? Have you ever played sports?

blueblood70

Reaction score
but wouldn’t you say it’s the coach’s job to ensure the players are in position to win, prepared, disciplined, and ready to execute?
When a team runs the ball down your throat and you refuse to change anything....
When your backup LT is a turnstile to a scrub and yet you don’t give him any help?
When your entire philosophy is built on having your person line up and overpower the guy across from him while the opponent is taking advantage of mismatches they have and generally outscheming and out coaching your team that’s in the coaching staff. If different non-star players can’t execute, aren’t disciplined, or out of position regularly that’s an obvious coaching deficiency.
Look around the league and see what other coaches have done with similar or less talent...it was a glaring problem for us

look we are talking all of Romos career through daks career..

sure a few games here or there say its mostly coaching I said 80% is on players, simply one or two players having a bad day and didnt execute is a DIRECT reason for most of those losses..

the dang players were in position and didnt TACKLE, cover, catch, or block..i witnessed it

those precise passes Roger threw were covered they were nearly indefensible but a missed sack, a missed chance at slapping a pass down , a bad route on a great play call, etc etc missed easy FG or a Fumble on a gaping WO hole for Murray and he fumbles.. bad ref calls etc etc..those players were in postion and failed to execute..

I get it the start to some of them and got behind on coaching to a degree , yes the ATL game the LT should have been pulled sooner but his replacement wasn't much better so again those players needed to execute better.. we got better backus in recent years to improve.. to me 80% is poor execution 20% coaching in most of those losses..

Swagger

Reaction score
But the Chiefs have one thing the Cowboys do not have, the best QB coach and evaluator in the NFL.

He was it in McNabb and Smith but I wonder if he would have seen that in Wentz?

Snyder got seduced and the need was strong for a QB. The Cowboys do not have that need, I do not see the need to trade up for any QB unless they just let this one walk and then there's not much choice.

CIN, MIA and LAC are not taking a risk and if they do any trades, they're close enough not to get gutted. Trading from 1 to 3 from 17 is too far to go when the other team knows what you're going up for.

A lot of people regarded Mahomes as the best QB in that draft and looked something special.

Yes the Chiefs were the team to pull the plug but it was plain to see for some.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Tony Pollard proved how it was a mistake not accepting the 5th year rookie option on Zeke. Then paying Zeke $15 million per year was crazy. That was mistake #1.

Paying D-Law as the highest paid 4-3 DE in the league was mistake #2.

You always pay your franchise QB. Happened that way with Troy and Romo. No different here with Dak. You have to pay him since he's your franchise QB who has proven himself.

I dont mind paying him. It the amount he wants that is out of whack.

Swagger

Reaction score
I personally have a great interest in Justin Herbert. I think he will end up the most productive QB of this draft class.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally have a great interest in Justin Herbert. I think he will end up the most productive QB of this draft class.
He's got the arm and he's 6'6" and stout and athletic for his size. There is that question of leadership that Burrow and Tua do not have, they are considered good leaders.

Eason is the forgotten man to me and he's the exact same size as Herbert with a cannon. Jordan Love is also an interesting prospect.

The one thing that I don't like about Tua is that he's 6'1", I think Prescott's 6'2" is a hindrance and he's too throwing lane locked. On a lot of those crossers, he is hindered by the lane and speed of the WR. By the time the WR hits the lane, it's too late to hit him in stride and many of those throws are late.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
He's got the arm and he's 6'6" and stout and athletic for his size. There is that question of leadership that Burrow and Tua do not have, they are considered good leaders.

Eason is the forgotten man to me and he's the exact same size as Herbert with a cannon. Jordan Love is also an interesting prospect.

The one thing that I don't like about Tua is that he's 6'1", I think Prescott's 6'2" is a hindrance and he's too throwing lane locked. On a lot of those crossers, he is hindered by the lane and speed of the WR. By the time the WR hits the lane, it's too late to hit him in stride and many of those throws are late.
Yeah Drew Brees struggles with this....Oh wait nm

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I actually thought he would resign after Jerry took away his play calling and gave it to Bill Callhan. But, JG just rolled over...........just like the teams he coached.
It is what it is. He wasn’t qualified to be a HC and appeared to do the best he was capable of. I always thought it was just Jerry’s selfish indulgences that kept it going and why I didn’t target Jason. Felt he was just a puppet in the mix.