Cowboys book reveals Jerry Jones is 'averse to starting over with a new coach'

cern

Reaction score
I make money off jerry. I have 4 season tickets which I sell to a ready mix concrete supplier to take guests to the game. and even if they're winning, I prefer watching games on the large screen tv with friends and hunting pals. if the game sucks, we go back outside and hunt or fish. I know my limitations. and I actually like the bad gm, jerry. just wish he'd let Stephen and will mcclay take total control of on the field decisions. jerry can still book the boxing events and rock concerts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not provide advice. I did not claim something should or should not be done. I stated the fact viewing games supports the league and its franchises.

What I say next is not meant to change your mind or anyone's mind. Businesses' profit potential is based on all revenue sources. Dodge sink $100K on a 30-second commercial seen by anonymous people sitting on their couch. NFL.com sells a $125 jersey to Joe Six-Pack in New Jersey. A father decides $15K should go to a PSL instead of his 9-year old daughter's college fund. Every cent is all valued the same by those whose pockets it ends up filling. Only consumers differentiate between one penny and the next.

And only you apparently don't see the difference between one person's TV tuned into a particular channel and spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on merchandise and PSL's and tickets.

If those things look the same to you, that's on you.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I make money off jerry. I have 4 season tickets which I sell to a ready mix concrete supplier to take guests to the game. and even if they're winning, I prefer watching games on the large screen tv with friends and hunting pals. if the game sucks, we go back outside and hunt or fish. I know my limitations. and I actually like the bad gm, jerry. just wish he'd let Stephen and will mcclay take total control of on the field decisions. jerry can still book the boxing events and rock concerts.
[Bold]> Nice mentionable. Jones makes millions hosting non-football related events. Just another source of revenue for him I believe is not taken into account normally.

cern

Reaction score
[Bold]> Nice mentionable. Jones makes millions hosting non-football related events. Just another source of revenue for him I believe is not taken into account normally.
he makes far more in real estate. "the star" and surrounding complex make him a fortune.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And only you apparently don't see the difference between one person's TV tuned into a particular channel and spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on merchandise and PSL's and tickets.

If those things look the same to you, that's on you.
The difference is perceived by consumers. It is not differentiated by the business accumulating the revenue.

The prevailing argument (which I acknowledge has not been made by you necessarily) is that consumers supporting Jones financially has a negative effect on his ability to do what is best for his franchise. It cannot be argued that Jones's business ventures, just like any other in a free enterprise economy, receives equal levels of revenue from various sources. What cannot logically argued as well is picking-and-choosing which penny Jones profits from most since all revenue is accounted for one and the same from the business' perspective.

Brax

Reaction score
So you're going to try to write the "do's and don'ts" for this now? Great. More "advice" I neither want nor need.

I know one thing, a sheep who's paying for a PSL, season tickets, merchandise, and concessions is putting a whole lot more into Jerry Jones wallet than me - a guy who's turned down opportunities to go to the games - does.
Have to agree , no fans in stadium means reduced prime time games, fans with bags on head who can't resist going means less prime time games. JJ know that the DC are living on the Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson years and the only thing that will hurt him is a decline in fan base. Low fan involvement means lower rating lower ratings equal lower network deals and the bottom line. Just my lowly opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he makes far more in real estate. "the star" and surrounding complex make him a fortune.
Thanks. I know. I occasionally do a cursory review of what I can find on the internet of Jones' various revenue sources. My review is usually prompted whenever I read or hear someone say or infer the word 'boycott'.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have to agree , no fans in stadium means reduced prime time games, fans with bags on head who can't resist going means less prime time games. JJ know that the DC are living on the Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson years and the only thing that will hurt him is a decline in fan base. Low fan involvement means lower rating lower ratings equal lower network deals and the bottom line. Just my lowly opinion.
I have occasionally suggested in boycott threads that a concerted effort to organize fans into wearing paper bags at games was a viable goal but have always had the idea shot down for questionable reasons.

The 'lower network deals' is a more complicated matter however. The Dallas Cowboys share television revenue from the league's multiple network contracts. Incidentially, it will be interesting seeing how the networks will negotiate their next contracts with the league and if the compensation will remain essentially the same, be reduced or exceed the current agreements.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Have to wonder if his lack of interest in changing coach hes has to do with finding a coach he can run over and the process would be revealed by the coaches he interviewed that he wants a puppet and not a winner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference is perceived by consumers. It is not differentiated by the business accumulating the revenue.

Nonsense. Yours is an apples to oranges comparison, and it fails miserably.

The prevailing argument (which I acknowledge has not been made by you necessarily) is that consumers supporting Jones financially has a negative effect on his ability to do what is best for his franchise. It cannot be argued that Jones's business ventures, just like any other in a free enterprise economy, receives equal levels of revenue from various sources. What cannot logically argued as well is picking-and-choosing which penny Jones profits from most since all revenue is accounted for one and the same from the business' perspective.

It most certainly can. As a viewer, I am one of millions, taking zero money out of my pocket to watch a game on broadcast television. As a purchaser of merchandise or tickets, one of tens of thousands, spending thousands to do so. I don't particularly care what Jones or his accountant sees. What I see is my impact on the bottom line.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have to wonder if his lack of interest in changing coach hes has to do with finding a coach he can run over and the process would be revealed by the coaches he interviewed that he wants a puppet and not a winner.
Not sure there is a single coach at the pro, college or even high school level who has not formed an opinion concerning Jones' perceived hiring preference. The allegation has been discussed by many parties--media, fans, etc.--for decades now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nonsense. Yours is an apples to oranges comparison, and it fails miserably.
Okay.
It most certainly can. As a viewer, I am one of millions, taking zero money out of my pocket to watch a game on broadcast television. As a purchaser of merchandise or tickets, one of tens of thousands, spending thousands to do so. I don't particularly care what Jones or his accountant sees. What I see is my impact on the bottom line.
[Bold]>That is not how advertising revenue originates...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your "lowly" opinion carries as much weight as anyone of ours. Never forget that.

I'm not preaching to anyone else about what they should do. It's their time, their money, their opinion. I don't have either the time, energy, or interest I nor any sort of fan revolt or revolution. I'd rather walk away completely than too invest more of my time and effort in something I no longer believed in. Doing so, would lessen the impact on me, not increase it. I'd never have to deal with Jerry Jones or the Cowboys again.

But what I refuse to go for is indifference, or apathy being attempted by some people in this thread. As if I don't matter. Go pound sand with that crap, and anyone who believes it is a fool for listening to it. If they want to think that they have no value, that's on them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay.
[Bold]>That is not how advertising revenue originates...

Again, don't care. One guy not watching a game? Minimal impact. One guy not buying any of the product? Much larger impact.

It obviously takes a much bigger impact to move the TV needle, and as a result the ad revenues. I've never suggested otherwise. In fact, you're the guy that tried to make a big deal out of that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, don't care. One guy not watching a game? Minimal impact. One guy not buying any of the product? Much larger impact.

It obviously takes a much bigger impact to move the TV needle, and as a result the ad revenues. I've never suggested otherwise. In fact, you're the guy that tried to make a big deal out of that.
This has been an interesting discussion.

Back in 2008 I along with other long time season ticket holders begun lobbying other season ticket holders and protesting the move to new stadium. Such an uproar Jerry addressed us . In the end we had over tens of thousands season ticket holders who refused to make the move because of highly increased prices and PSL investment.

Jerry turned a deaf ear to our concerns. Initially Jerry struggled selling all of the season tickets which led him to lobbying the league to not only reduce the 72 hour black out rule to 24 hours with Jerry’s concern to avoid local TV blackouts which led to the Cowboys financial struggles in late 80’s with the poor attendance.

Jerry also lobbied to allow franchises to broker their remaining seats out. In the past when there were remaining seats local tv affiliates would purchase to avoid the blackouts. So, while Jerry did not cater to our concerns he did take measures in response to the obstacles we attempted to present.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Back in 2008 I along with other long time season ticket holders begun lobbying other season ticket holders and protesting the move to new stadium. Such an uproar Jerry addressed us . In the end we had over tens of thousands season ticket holders who refused to make the move because of highly increased prices and PSL investment.

Jerry turned a deaf ear to our concerns. Initially Jerry struggled selling all of the season tickets which led him to lobbying the league to not only reduce the 72 hour black out rule to 24 hours with Jerry’s concern to avoid local TV blackouts which led to the Cowboys financial struggles in late 80’s with the poor attendance.

Jerry also lobbied to allow franchises to broker their remaining seats out. In the past when there were remaining seats local tv affiliates would purchase to avoid the blackouts. So, while Jerry did not cater to our concerns he did take measures in response to the obstacles we attempted to present.

Good for you guys.
:thumbup:

I guess that's some proof against any claims that fans have no power.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Was the organized season ticket holders effort aimed at persuading Jones from moving the team from Texas Stadium to ATT Stadium?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good for you guys.
:thumbup:

I guess that's some proof against any claims that fans have no power.
We have power in numbers.

Unfortunately, Jerry circumvented our intents and the NFL accommodated his request. And with the corporate stadium sponsorship and the PSL season ticket holders are locked in with their only option brokering out their seats.

Local support and tv viewership hasn’t had any effects as Cowboys revenue continues to grow despite less merchandise being sold and local fan participation. The enormous influx of citizens across the country moving to Texas for jobs and retirement since the recession in 2007( close to a million a year) our economy is bustling and they’ve brought their fandom with them as has become common at AT&T with sometimes half opposing fans in attendance.

Empty seats and half empty stadium was really only means in the past to make an impact as we did in the 80’s. I’m afraid Jerry’s moving of the goal post has locked himself in as the record revenue would reflect despite the mediocre product and frustration from the fanbase.

Unless you’re going to totally boycott viewership of the NFL then with the Equal Revenue Sharing it doesn’t matter what games you view Jerry will recieve his cut.

I waved my white flag years ago and simply are part of the Apathetic base he’s often mentioned here locally. We no longer attend games( although I have a couple) or directly contribute but as viewers are still contributing indirectly. It is what it is. Like we argued when we were in full blown boycott mode. Do what you can. Obviously it’s had little impact.

So, we decided to start cashing in and begun investing in the sponsors since the NFL and of course the Cowboys aren’t publicly traded. We feel much better now . At least our check is in the mail too. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Was the organized season ticket holders effort aimed at persuading Jones from moving the team from Texas Stadium to ATT Stadium?
We protested the PSL mainly and enormous price increase.

No, by this time the construction of the stadium had already begun. But we didn’t know until 2007 what the details were going to be applied to us. I actually gave up my seats after 2007. My last game there was Giants playoff loss. Some kept theirs thru 2008 season.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
"All he wants to do is win"

Biggest lie ever told.

He'd like to win. He hopes to win.

If it was all he wants, he would sacrifice his own ego and make decisions that make it much more possible.
Brother, sigh...it is who we have become...don't know about the rest here, but in truth anyone who has followed this team going back to the days of Tex Shram and Landry, knows this is NOT who the Dallas cowboys are, or were ever. Yes JJ came, and Jimmy J won 2 SB's, and that putz Switzer won 1(with Jimmy's players) Jerry ain't about to EVER allow anyone to steal his football thunder ever. Winning be damned.