Cowboys book reveals Jerry Jones is 'averse to starting over with a new coach'

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh please. Garrett knew he had a special relationship with Jerry, so he'd get every possible break here.

And he was right. Any other team would have fired him years ago.
You’re basing that speculation on the results he’s had here.

What blows me away is what did Jerry promise to him to not only pass on the Falcon and Ravens job but to hang around and be his puppet?

Why would anyone put up with Jerry’s meddling Unless your an offspring waiting for inheritance?

And why I believe there has to be something in store for Garrett down the road if he can survive.

GenoT

Reaction score
I have to believe there’s a bigger plan for Garrett. Why else would he have stayed here when better opportunities knocked??

The Cowboys HC job under Jerry’s meddling has to be the least attractive job in the NFL and basically a dead end.

Never really thought about this, but gotta agree.

Except for a few seasons as a QB coach elsewhere (Miami?), Garrett’s been in the “family” since he was backing up Troy.

How about Permanent Latrine Orderly at JerryWorld?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course there is in the context I was referring to.

No, there really isn't. Not even close. At no time did I ever express any satisfaction with Jerry as the GM, I merely said Cleveland's organization has been significantly worse than the Cowboys, despite your claim to the contrary. That was the context, and your response was to indicate that by making that point I was expressing that I am happy with the way Jerry runs the Cowboys. Again, not one grain of logic.

I have no problem with anyone pointing to Jerry's stubbornness, and poor decisions, but I do expect some tie to reality and fairness. Jerry has not been a good GM, but to suggest that a team that has averaged 3.8 wins per season for the last 10 years, and has had losing seasons in 22 of the last 25 is somehow a better run team is nonsense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re basing that speculation on the results he’s had here.

What blows me away is what did Jerry promise to him to not only pass on the Falcon and Ravens job but to hang around and be his puppet?

Why would anyone put up with Jerry’s meddling Unless your an offspring waiting for inheritance?

And why I believe there has to be something in store for Garrett down the road if he can survive.

You are acting as if he still has the opportunity to go to another team and be the head coach, and is making the decision to stay with Dallas anyway. That's not the case. Once he passed on other jobs and chose the Cowboys his potential to be a head coach with another team became tied to his results with the Cowboys. Other head coaching jobs aren't available now, so naturally he is staying where he still has a head coaching job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, there really isn't. Not even close. At no time did I ever express any satisfaction with Jerry as the GM, I merely said Cleveland's organization has been significantly worse than the Cowboys, despite your claim to the contrary. That was the context, and your response was to indicate that by making that point I was expressing that I am happy with the way Jerry runs the Cowboys. Again, not one grain of logic.

I have no problem with anyone pointing to Jerry's stubbornness, and poor decisions, but I do expect some tie to reality and fairness. Jerry has not been a good GM, but to suggest that a team that has averaged 3.8 wins per season for the last 10 years, and has had losing seasons in 22 of the last 25 is somehow a better run team is nonsense.
I simply stated the Cowboys have been the joke of the NFL.

You disputed by arguing since Browns had a worse record they were a bigger joke. I wasn’t referring to who had more success.

And why you interpreted my comment out of the context I intended.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are acting as if he still has the opportunity to go to another team and be the head coach, and is making the decision to stay with Dallas anyway. That's not the case. Once he passed on other jobs and chose the Cowboys his potential to be a head coach with another team became tied to his results with the Cowboys. Other head coaching jobs aren't available now, so naturally he is staying where he still has a head coaching job.
Of course he doesn’t while he’s under contract.

How do you arrive that I was insinuating this from my post?

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I simply stated the Cowboys have been the joke of the NFL.

You disputed by arguing since Browns had a worse record they were a bigger joke. I wasn’t referring to who had more success.

And why you interpreted my comment out of the context I intended.

Interesting that you have backed away from discussing your claim that I somehow expressed my happiness with Jerry at the helm by saying Cleveland has been worse ... but we'll move on from that.

You said the Cowboys have been the biggest joke in the NFL in this era. They are not by any remotely reasonable measure. And like it or not, success and failure is the measuring stick. As frustrating as the Cowboys have been for Cowboy fans, they have been to the playoffs 14 times and won 2 Super Bowls since the last time Cleveland won it's division (1989). Cleveland's absolute futility is the face of failure and incompetence in American professional sports. You tried to cover for this and support your claim by saying Cleveland isn't as big a joke because they have more potential to overcome problems since they have a more normal organizational structure, but 22 losing seasons in 25 years pretty much blows that theory out of the water.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he doesn’t while he’s under contract.

How do you arrive that I was insinuating this from my post?

lol - this cracks me up. You were the one wondering why he didn't go to another team, and now you think you are refuting me by saying he can't go to another team while he is under contract. You just bashed your own argument.

What I assumed you meant was letting his contract run out and then leaving for another head coaching position, which is what I'm talking about, but my point is he doesn't have the chance to do that because he hasn't been successful enough in the head coaching gig he is in to have other teams clamoring over him. You are assuming there are other head coaching gigs he could leave for, and that just doesn't make sense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Interesting that you have backed away from discussing your claim that I somehow expressed my happiness with Jerry at the helm by saying Cleveland has been worse ... but we'll move on from that.

You said the Cowboys have been the biggest joke in the NFL in this era. They are not by any remotely reasonable measure. And like it or not, success and failure is the measuring stick. As frustrating as the Cowboys have been for Cowboy fans, they have been to the playoffs 14 times and won 2 Super Bowls since the last time Cleveland won it's division (1989). Cleveland's absolute futility is the face of failure and incompetence in American professional sports. You tried to cover for this and support your claim by saying Cleveland isn't as big a joke because they have more potential to overcome problems since they have a more normal organizational structure, but 22 losing seasons in 25 years pretty much blows that theory out of the water.
You at least get part of what Im referring to with our dysfunctional franchise I call the biggest joke in the NFL.

Have other teams had less success? Of course. You’re taking my claim too literally wanting to define it specifically. It wasn’t meant to be a factual summarization.

yesfan

Reaction score
Never really thought about this, but gotta agree.

Except for a few seasons as a QB coach elsewhere (Miami?), Garrett’s been in the “family” since he was backing up Troy.

How about Permanent Latrine Orderly at JerryWorld?
PLO!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol - this cracks me up. You were the one wondering why he didn't go to another team, and now you think you are refuting me by saying he can't go to another team while he is under contract. You just bashed your own argument.

What I assumed you meant was letting his contract run out and then leaving for another head coaching position, which is what I'm talking about, but my point is he doesn't have the chance to do that because he hasn't been successful enough in the head coaching gig he is in to have other teams clamoring over him. You are assuming there are other head coaching gigs he could leave for, and that just doesn't make sense.
I was referring to when he was OC and had offers for HC. I thought I said that. Not sure why you continue reading more into my post?

yimyammer

Reaction score
RKa74TW.jpg

I'll still take Cleveland's ownership and trajectory in a New York minute!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Uh, Jerry, promote him to the already dysfunctional FO, and have order the pizza"s, keep the coffee fresh and full, keep the water bottles at the water coolers full, something more in line with his skill level and hire a legit HC and back off and let them put a team together.

cern

Reaction score
I have to believe there’s a bigger plan for Garrett. Why else would he have stayed here when better opportunities knocked??

The Cowboys HC job under Jerry’s meddling has to be the least attractive job in the NFL and basically a dead end.
Of what better opportunities do you refer. I've heard of none. Garrett earns 5.5 million yearly. You really think he'd leave that. If you do you're as bright as you claim jerry to be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of what better opportunities do you refer. I've heard of none. Garrett earns 5.5 million yearly. You really think he'd leave that. If you do you're as bright as you claim jerry to be.
I was referring to when he was OC and offered other HC jobs.