Twitter: Cowboys break off contract talks with Anthony Spencer

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 1m
.@1053TheFan Exclusive: #Cowboys break off contract talks w DE Anthony Spencer.

Spencer gap: $8M (like Kruger) v $5M (like Dumervil/Bennett). #Cowboys don't plan on budging. July 15 deadline will come and go

Spencer agent @JordanWoy has worked contract miracles w #Cowboys & many others. 'Both sides worked really hard to reach a deal,' tells me

Part of #Cowboys bet: Spencer kills it in contract year, then @TCrawford_40 becomes LDE stalwart

105.3 The FAN ‏@1053thefan 4m
#BREAKING @DallasCowboys suspend Spencer contract talks, anticipate playing with 1-year deal http://cbsloc.al/11Fn890 @fishsports @1053thefan

Last edited:

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Spencer will never see $8 million, regardless of who he plays for next year. The big money goes to left tackles, then maybe right tackles, quarterbacks, tight ends, and cornerbacks. Five million per would be a good salary for Spencer, and he'll be lucky to get that if he doesn't have an outstanding year.

basstapp

Reaction score
I think this is best case scenario, even if spencer blows up and becomes one of the better DE in the league you can't invest in every good player you have. If you have a serviceable guy thats young then let him take over and give the contracts to Dez, Lee and Carter.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
So when was the last time we let one of our best players walk? I agree with the decision. Just a rarity in the JJ era.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spencer won't leave....

At worst case Dallas will match next year.
Very rare we lose a great player in their prime.

5 or 6m a year? For a guy making 18m combined the past and current season? Riiiiighhhhtttt!
Spencer isn't stupid.

6 years 45 or so mil is about right. Last year obviously just filler money.
5 years 35 real money.

al124

Reaction score
Makes you wonder if Crawford has been playing well enough that they think he might compete for the starting LDE position next year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Spencer won't leave....

At worst case Dallas will match next year.
Very rare we lose a great player in their prime.

5 or 6m a year? For a guy making 18m combined the past and current season? Riiiiighhhhtttt!
Spencer isn't stupid.

6 years 45 or so mil is about right. Last year obviously just filler money.
5 years 35 real money.

Normally that would be true, but the salary cap didn't go up much this year and is unlikely to next either. That has affected contracts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The message is clear. "We aren't budging." I still hope we can lock him up

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Its the right choice, cant keep eveyone, they can look for a younger replacement next year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Normally that would be true, but the salary cap didn't go up much this year and is unlikely to next either. That has affected contracts.

Ellerbee and Kruger disagree - and the idea that "the cap not going up" has any bearing is really off base. That really makes no difference when you talk about longer term deals.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i wish we'd not have tagged him again to be honest. i like spencer, i understand his role vs. the run and don't get too tied up in his "lack" of sacks. i think he's a solid player on the team and does in fact help.

but he's not worth the cash for us right now. so many others ways we could have done more than to just tag him again.

is it too late to take the tag off and just let him go *this* year? not clamoring for that, just curious about the rules.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i wish we'd not have tagged him again to be honest. i like spencer, i understand his role vs. the run and don't get too tied up in his "lack" of sacks. i think he's a solid player on the team and does in fact help.

but he's not worth the cash for us right now. so many others ways we could have done more than to just tag him again.

is it too late to take the tag off and just let him go *this* year? not clamoring for that, just curious about the rules.

He already signed the tag...

RS12

Reaction score
FO wised up after taking a look at Cliff Avril's deal.