Twitter: Cowboys break off contract talks with Anthony Spencer

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The difference here is that Kruger signed with Cleveland who had significant cap to spend. We don't have that kind of cap, which is why I was not in favor of Franchising him either. He's not going to see 8 million because the Romo deal will prevent that kind of contract for just about anybody on the team IMO. Until the cap goes up or we free up more money, we are going to be operating on a much more frugal budget IMO. I'm OK with that I guess.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So when was the last time we let one of our best players walk? I agree with the decision. Just a rarity in the JJ era.

I think this is a sign of the times with Garrett having more influence in personnel moves. A positive sign.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The difference here is that Kruger signed with Cleveland who had significant cap to spend. We don't have that kind of cap, which is why I was not in favor of Franchising him either. He's not going to see 8 million because the Romo deal will prevent that kind of contract for just about anybody on the team IMO. Until the cap goes up or we free up more money, we are going to be operating on a much more frugal budget IMO. I'm OK with that I guess.

Cowboys have money now to sign Lee and Carter if they wanted to.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Good. He is wanting way more than comparable players got this offseason and the team has Crawford and Wilber waiting in the wings. They will get more experience this year and hopefully one will emerge and be ready to take over next year. Given the salary cap situation, the team is not likely to sign any big name free agents next year so if they lose him, they will be in line for a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If all else fails, they can draft a DE to replace him. If his demands come down and the market for DEs remains in the $5-6 million range, then I'd say give him a 4 or 5 year deal. If he still wants $8-10 million a year, let him go and take the comp pick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Our one-year wonder wants a substantial raise. Only the Raiders would be dumb enough to give him what he wants, right Jerra? Jerra?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 44m
More on spencer: no disgruntlement on either side. #cowboys happy to have him, spencer fired up abt big year
Spencer agent @JordanWoy : ''We have a very positive relationship w #Cowboys. Anthony happy, will play to best of ability again this season'

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
.@JordanWoy, agent for #Cowboys pass-rusher Anthony Spencer, tells 105.3 The Fan extension talks are off: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/cowboys-suspend-spencer-talks-anticipate-playing-with-1-year-deal/…

[URL='https://twitter.com/calexmendez']Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 18m
No long-term deal for Spencer, agent Jordan Woy said "We tried hard but could not work out a deal" http://******/19zGyxU
[/URL]

burmafrd

Reaction score
the only reason to do a multi year deal frankly was to reduce his cap hit this year. After only one top year in 6 there is no other reason to spend serious money on him

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
What burmafrd said. Overall, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Would have wanted him back at the right price, but the right price (for me) was probably way too low.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Best to let him play it out and go from there.

It would be great if Crawford became a legit starter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Would have liked to have seen a deal get done but does not look to be in the cards. I still expect Spencer to go out this season and play hard after all if he wants the money he is asking for then he best go out and put up a season worthy of the contract he is looking for. Meantime I hope Crawford sees the opening in front of him, this is a great oppertunity for him to show the team he can be counted on to get the job done.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
yeah, he will put on a show now for the Cowboys being a contract year hopefully...

good move by Cowboys

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm ok with this move for sure. I like Spencer. I don't think he's amazing or anything but I've always thought he was a very good player who was vastly under-rated by the fan base based entirely off of sack numbers.

Either way I don't want to pay a ton of money to keep him. You can't keep every player whose deal comes up and I'd much rather they let Spencer walk, instead of paying big, especially when you consider that both Dez and Sean Lee will be coming up just around the corner.

reddyuta

Reaction score
spencer has nothing to complain,he has been paid handsomely for the last two years.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'm honestly ecstatic with this. He does not deserve a long term contract. If he does well next season then thank you but we can not resign him long term

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cowboys have money now to sign Lee and Carter if they wanted to.

I don't know if that's true or not. I have no idea what their contract demands will be. However, if they are 8 Million a season, as Spencer's appear to be, I'm thinking no.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap isn't projected to go up much again next year, which means the depressed contracts that were signed for most players this offseason is probably going to continue next offseason.

Bottom line Spencer probably isn't going to be worth what he thinks he will be in 2014.

Even if Spencer was in the fold for 2014, I think DE was already high on the list of Cowboy needs come next offseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I applaud the Cowboys for this move. Why compound the mistake of paying him $10 million plus when everybody else is getting less than $5 million with overpaying him long term?

Can't keep everybody.