Twitter: Cowboys break off contract talks with Anthony Spencer

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He will already be 31 next year . Let him go draft a new de to battle with Crawford next year .

ragman

Reaction score
With Spencer turning 30 in January, he and his agent should have known that the Cowboys weren't going to give him $8 million a year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will already be 31 next year . Let him go draft a new de to battle with Crawford next year .

Yep. This ankle clinging to every player who can remotely play needs to stop. We're too old on the DL and we've got cap issues. Don't add to it by inking Spencer to a long term deal. It's a bad contract waiting to happen.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I have no problem paying an effective starting DE that much, but if that's the top of the scale, you might as well wait and pay that AFTER he gets it done this year. My biggest issue is that Ware has been a little fragile recently, and I actually view Spencer as the #1 guy to move to LDE if Ware is injured, with Crawford coming in at RDE.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Good stuff. If Crawford can step AND if we spend a premium draft pick on the DLine next season, our "aging" DLine suddenly becomes much younger.

iceman117

Reaction score
Spencer is a good player, but signing a 30 year old pass rusher to a long term contract is a big mistake. We have no choice but to let him walk unless he is willing to take a 3 year 15 million dollar contract which I don't think he will

iceman117

Reaction score
And even in the scenario I just posted our first round pick needs to be a DE so we can use a rotation and not burn our guys out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep. This ankle clinging to every player who can remotely play needs to stop. We're too old on the DL and we've got cap issues. Don't add to it by inking Spencer to a long term deal. It's a bad contract waiting to happen.

If by remotely play you mean one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL last season then I agree with you.

Put your money where your mouth is. He was our best 'trenches' guy last season. Or do you just save that ardor for OG?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If by remotely play you mean one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL last season then I agree with you.

Put your money where your mouth is. He was our best 'trenches' guy last season. Or do you just save that ardor for OG?

Pretty sure all trench players are at a premium. As near as I can tell, the objective is to field a team full of trench players, none of them over 25 years old, and yet none of them are allowed to start until they're ready to step in and outplay a veteran. They have to all be OGs or DLs, and then we have to let them walk before they turn 30 because we don't want to end up paying market rate for any of them. We're not supposed to trade up to get these players, and if we trade down in order to get enough picks to find 53 of them, we have to make sure we get better than expected value according to Jimmy Johnson's trade charts or else our front office are complete doddering morons.

If a player is young and plays great, his team still has to win, because we're the Dallas Cowboys, or else he's a choker and his contract should not be renewed.

burmafrd

Reaction score

yeah one year out of 6 he was our best. You would make a worse GM then Jerruh and that is saying a lot

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Pretty sure all trench players are at a premium. As near as I can tell, the objective is to field a team full of trench players, none of them over 25 years old, and yet none of them are allowed to start until they're ready to step in and outplay a veteran. They have to all be OGs or DLs, and then we have to let them walk before they turn 30 because we don't want to end up paying market rate for any of them. We're not supposed to trade up to get these players, and if we trade down in order to get enough picks to find 53 of them, we have to make sure we get better than expected value according to Jimmy Johnson's trade charts or else our front office are complete doddering morons.

If a player is young and plays great, his team still has to win, because we're the Dallas Cowboys, or else he's a choker and his contract should not be renewed.

There ya go!

The key is to trade your 1st round pick for two 2nds and two 3rds. Then you draft four All-Pro starting DLmen who step in immediately after being drafted. After their rookie contract expires, you release all four of them and draft four new ones. Repeat this cycle every 3-4 years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
yeah one year out of 6 he was our best. You would make a worse GM then Jerruh and that is saying a lot

He was quite good the year before and only outplayed by Ware. He improved this past year. It's an upward trend and he has no injury history.

It's all about what kind of contract to me. There is no question in my mind that we should want to keep him. Making completely inflexible positions like sign at all costs or the opposite is bad management in general. I have no interest in untestable hypothesis such as how good of a GM I would be compared to Jones.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...There is no question in my mind that we should want to keep him. Making completely inflexible positions like sign at all costs or the opposite is bad management in general. I have no interest in untestable hypothesis such as how good of a GM I would be compared to Jones.

Fortunately, this seems to be the general direction we're taking, overall. In this case, there wasn't a middle ground this season. There may be next, though, once Spencer gets some more opportunity on the field and he's able to test FA directly.

Section446

Reaction score
While I'd like to keep Spencer long-term, I applaud the Cowboys for not making an illogical move and overpaying a guy who has not quite lived up to the expectations.