Cowboys Bringing back kicker Hajrullahu for competition

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How many times has this guy been signed and released? He can't think he has the best shot here....

He's had a pretty successful CFL career, so he likely feels he just needs a real opportunity. We didn't really give him (or anyone else) a real shot last year. I think Garibay will win the job (maybe because I was touting him before we signed him), but I don't really care who does as long as we find someone who can get the job done. It would be great to stumble into another Dan Bailey situation. I do think Garibay has that potential.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do you have a source?

This is not what McCarthy said several weeks ago.

Never said it was a fact or that it was reported, just made an observation. They’re bringing back a kicker they cut so they obviously aren’t totally sure about Garibay. By the way I only made it through a minute of that recording you posted the guy sounds like a complete idiot! Any word that has an “a” causes him to waiver.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We could have won a game or two last season if it were not for awful execution w/ FGs. At least they're trying to make it better. A game or two would have made quite a difference.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Never said it was a fact or that it was reported, just made an observation. They’re bringing back a kicker they cut so they obviously aren’t totally sure about Garibay. By the way I only made it through a minute of that recording you posted the guy sounds like a complete idiot!
Aww, does the guy's southern accent bother you that much? Sheesh

And, no, bringing in Hajrullahu isn't because the Cowboys aren't sure about Garibay. Instead, it's to provide Garibay some veteran assistance/teaching advice while giving Garibay a break from having to kick every kick during training camp and preseason. Also, practice competition makes for a better overall experience and environment.

Like ****NOT-AN-OFFICIAL-SOURCE*** says, "Iron sharpens Iron. Steel sharpens steel." The Cowboys are doing the right thing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We could have won a game or two last season if it were not for awful execution w/ FGs. At least they're trying to make it better. A game or two would have made quite a difference.
Correct!

A game or two more wins last year could have secured the #1 playoffs spot for the Cowboys, thus greatly increasing the team's chance to finally make at least an NFC Championship Game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It was having to settle for FGs that cost us some games. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties and we’ve had issues in the red zone.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was having to settle for FGs that cost us some games. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties and we’ve had issues in the red zone.
Why do we have an entire unit that specializes in kicking FGs? It's part of the game man. I'm not suggesting you lean on your kick game 24/7, but the teams that are well balanced have good special teams. You cannot expect the offense to be perfect.

Especially when you play a real solid team and find a way to get into FG range. I think there's a penalty problem for sure, but in my opinion that's a different subject. Good teams have good FG kickers regardless.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Correct!

A game or two more wins last year could have secured the #1 playoffs spot for the Cowboys, thus greatly increasing the team's chance to finally make at least an NFC Championship Game.
I'm pretty sure we could have used a week of rest and prep.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why do we have an entire unit that specializes in kicking FGs? It's part of the game man. I'm not suggesting you lean on your kick game 24/7, but the teams that are well balanced have good special teams. You cannot expect the offense to be perfect.

Especially when you play a real solid team and find a way to get into FG range. I think there's a penalty problem for sure, but in my opinion that's a different subject. Good teams have good FG kickers regardless.

It’s part of the game but you don’t want to be counting on a kicker every week that’s making a fraction of what your QB and skill position players are making to win football games. Against KC all we came up with was three FGs. Kickers go through ups and downs it happens with every team. If you rely on a kicker too heavily you’re going to get burned. McCarthy commented a number of times last season that we’re having to settle for too many FG attempts. We get a good drive going and bog down due mainly to penalties. Having to settle for too many FGs is going to cause you to come up short in some games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s part of the game but you don’t want to be counting on a kicker every week that’s making a fraction of what your QB and skill position players are making to win football games. Against KC all we came up with was three FGs. Kickers go through ups and downs it happens with every team. If you rely on a kicker too heavily you’re going to get burned. McCarthy commented a number of times last season that we’re having to settle for too many FG attempts.
Who said rely on the kicker every week?
I clearly said we could have won a game or two. 1 or 2 games is reasonable. Otherwise, why even fill the roster spot?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who said rely on the kicker every week?
I clearly said we could have won a game or two. 1 or 2 games is reasonable. Otherwise, why even fill the roster spot?

I’m saying we have to rely on our kicker every week and we usually do. I know what you’re saying and I don’t agree. I’m saying if we would’ve scored more TDs and not had to settle for field goals we would’ve won more games. You’re not going to beat Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs by kicking FGs all day. It’s not easy finding a kicker who’s real dependable. You’re not going to find one who’s going to make every kick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ever since Dan Bailey lost his mojo we’ve struggled finding a consistent kicker.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m saying we have to rely on our kicker every week and we usually do. I know what you’re saying and I don’t agree. I’m saying if we would’ve scored more TDs and not had to settle for field goals we would’ve won more games. You’re not going to beat Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs by kicking FGs all day. It’s not easy finding a kicker who’s real dependable. You’re not going to find one who’s going to make every kick.
1) Let's run through last season. What games did we definitively rely on the kick game?

2) Its a team sport, every game is different but in some games you need a dependable kicker. Ours was awful. I mean bad. I didn't say "every kick."

3) More TDs? We scored more TDs than every team in the NFL.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Cowboys were actually at 88 players after the release of safety La'Kendrick Van Zandt and kicker Chris Naggar. After they sign Hajrullahu they will still have an open roster spot.

And another will open up once they put Davante Bond on IR.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you lose a game or two by a couple of points, it would have been good to have a reliable kicker. So yes, some games you count on your kicker