Twitter: Cowboys can begin Dak's contract now

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it's pocket presence that gets him to the next level. He needs to understand that his footwork and mechanics are everything for him. He doesn't do a real good job of putting the ball on guys so that they can make those extra yards. It's the difference between looking at 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 1 or 2nd and long and 3rd and 5. Look at the statistics of success between those down and distances in the NFL and it will show you how Dak gets to the next level. He needs to get a lot better in the Red Zone, as well. We are horrible there and we really shouldn't be. He needs to figure out how to get more out of those opportunities.

JMO

I said pocket passing, not pocket presence. While they are related, I was referring to accuracy, etc. not feeling the rush, etc. which is more precisely pocket presence, which I don't see at this point he can improve, either you have it or you don't, imho...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It’s still rare. It does happen but as I said, it’s rare. And was that investment worth it instead of just drafting a QB who is already “elite” in that metric?

For the Cowboys? Absolutely, but they wasted the opportunity by not bringing in the Coaching that could have won a Championship. I mean, they literally got an All Pro quality QB as an undrafted free agent player. The Cowboys, at that time, weren't exactly loaded with Draft Picks or Cap Space so yeah, because of the situation, it was worth it. Having said that, the way the NFL has evolved since then, I'm not sure I wouldn't move on from Dak if I could get the right compensation for him. If I could get a pick that would give me Lawrence or Wilson and maybe a starter or another 1st round pick, I'd probably do that. I mean, lets face it, it's just not as hard to play QB in the NFL today as it was a few years ago. The Offenses are easier and QBs are better suited to play in them so they don't take 4 or 5 years to win. They can do it in a couple of seasons. Has to be the right deal though. But doesn't really matter. Cowboys are sticking with Dak, I've a feeling. They are going to ride this ship down and if that ends up being another year of tag and then just losing him in FA, they will do that IMO.

They've done it before, I can see them doing it again. Don't ask me why.

Swagger

Reaction score
I just said he had a few bad throws.

I don't have a problem with how Dalton played.. Especially at his cost.

Dak would provide a similar result to Dalton like he did in Philly last year but he wants me to pay him like he is an elite football player.

That's the difference.
It's no good man. Those who bury their hands in the sand will have to learn the hard way with Dak should he be given a long term contract. Four years on we will have won sweet FA although the Dak fluffers will blame the weather, coaching, starting field position, a glove, defense, special teams, anyone and everything except hey maybe Dak is basically Derek Carr and he is only able to manage games yet is being paid like he's Aaron Rodgers. As a result the team is knee capped.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I said pocket passing, not pocket presence. While they are related, I was referring to accuracy, etc. not feeling the rush, etc. which is more precisely pocket presence, which I don't see at this point he can improve, either you have it or you don't, imho...

OK

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And Dak has plenty of those too? The point is, these people shut the hell up the last few weeks, and now they want to pretend yesterday proves something. It's stupid.
But its not just yesterday....I'd say he had one great game....a few average and a few bad games. I'm not overly critical of him because he's a backup caliber quarterback so I expect this from him. He showed us what he was.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
For the Cowboys? Absolutely, but they wasted the opportunity by not bringing in the Coaching that could have won a Championship. I mean, they literally got an All Pro quality QB as an undrafted free agent player. The Cowboys, at that time, weren't exactly loaded with Draft Picks or Cap Space so yeah, because of the situation, it was worth it. Having said that, the way the NFL has evolved since then, I'm not sure I wouldn't move on from Dak if I could get the right compensation for him. If I could get a pick that would give me Lawrence or Wilson and maybe a starter or another 1st round pick, I'd probably do that. I mean, lets face it, it's just not as hard to play QB in the NFL today as it was a few years ago. The Offenses are easier and QBs are better suited to play in them so they don't take 4 or 5 years to win. They can do it in a couple of seasons. Has to be the right deal though. But doesn't really matter. Cowboys are sticking with Dak, I've a feeling. They are going to ride this ship down and if that ends up being another year of tag and then just losing him in FA, they will do that IMO.

I’ve been saying for a month now that DAL is doing EXACTLY what WASH did with Cousins.
Every team that has ever tagged a QB in the history of the NFL has released that QB and taken steps to either through the draft, FA or a trade acquired another QB.
And there’s 3 QBs in this draft with LETHAL pocket accuracy and extremely good pocket awareness.

Swagger

Reaction score
But its not just yesterday....I'd say he had one great game....a few average and a few bad games. I'm not overly critical of him because he's a backup caliber quarterback so I expect this from him. He showed us what he was.
* behind the third string offensive line.

Needs to be added to your final sentence.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's because Romo put in the time. He was reported to be the last player to leave the facility every day. Where's dak at? I've never heard of him putting in this time. I could be wrong but I haven't heard that. All I ever heard was how Garrett use to beat him in throwing challenges.

I honestly don't know enough about Dak's practice habits to comment one way or the other but yeah, I agree that if Dak were practicing like Tony did, it would have been wall to wall news. That's a pretty safe bet IMO.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he showed us that with no preseason snaps or regular-season snaps with the WR's and playing behind a 3rd string offensive line he can be productive and win games in a no-win situation.

Swagger

Reaction score
The reality is that there are those who want Dak to be paid a contract of 35-40 million a year over the next 4-5 years and there are those like myself who don't. Neither side will change their mind so why bother debating it...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
let's hurry up and do it, maybe it will turn out as good as the Jacklin smith contract. we don't need to see if he's going to be okay. We can rehab him like drop foot.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Jerry's getting along in age, is why they're doing it this time. Jerry doesn't have many more years, probably, to get that non-Jimmy tainted SB win. And this team was said to be in the win now mode before the Covid arrived. Drafting a quarterback, even one that develops in a couple of years, is risky business for a 78 year old man, even these days. (Though you can't go by appearances, Jerry may live to be 100).

But agreed on your take on playing qb in the NFL, college teams use more of the "pro set" offense than ever before, it's not the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense any more. Who'd have thought you'd have college teams playing 14-15 games in a season, and throwing for 60 touchdowns? That's more than the NFL record for 16 games!

But still, we've never seen a rookie qb win the SB, at least to this point, though I'd not think it impossible, given the right circumstances....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The reality is that there are those who want Dak to be paid a contract of 35-40 million a year over the next 4-5 years and there are those like myself who don't. Neither side will change their mind so why bother debating it...

Because we can. Besides, it's a long off season.

Again...

dckid

Reaction score
The faster they can get this done, the better.......helps the cap, big-time.

Oh if we only would have been smart like Atlanta, they can be smart and now move off of Matt Arya and save money at the QB position but I guess winning 6 games was worth it. What an idiotic franchise. Our head coach sounds like he is eating a salami sandwich every time he speaks. Take a cliffs notes analytic class doesn’t mean a thing when you don’t understand situational football.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Oh if we only would have been smart like Atlanta, they can be smart and now move off of Matt Arya and save money at the QB position but I guess winning 6 games was worth it. What an idiotic franchise. Our head coach sounds like he is eating a salami sandwich every time he speaks. Take a cliffs notes analytic class doesn’t mean a thing when you don’t understand situational football.

If ATL released or traded Ryan this year it’s a 34 MIL dead cap hit. In 2021 they can move him and they have a 20 MIL out on the cap hit.

dckid

Reaction score
If Jerry gives Dak a massive multi year deal after that injury, he’s the dumbest GM in the history of sports. Dak will play on the franchise tag again. FACT
Don’t pay him or Dalton. If the Cowboys are not smart enough to draft a Qb then sign Jameis, trade for Stafford.
Stafford is looking for a change and could be had for probably a 2nd or 3rd.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I honestly don't know enough about Dak's practice habits to comment one way or the other but yeah, I agree that if Dak were practicing like Tony did, it would have been wall to wall news. That's a pretty safe bet IMO.

Well there's this: from a Jan 25, 2017 four letter network story: "Combine that loyalty with his work ethic ...".

Darren Woodson from a May 2020 interview:
"Great ones show up every day to work. I've seen Dak Prescott in June with the fifth guy, one of the special teams players running routes by himself. His work ethic is tremendous. "

Last edited:

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I’ll say one thing....after seeing the wentz and Haskins situations in the nfc east.... daks leadership and respect around the game is underrated at times.

I still don’t know if he’ll ever be top 5 in football.... but if we can put a competent team around him I like our chances at winning