Cowboys Cap Outlook and Potential Cuts/Restructures

StuckMojo

Reaction score
We had Dak, Cooper and Jones at a small percentage of the cap to have more around them, finished 8-8. What happens when they take up a larger percentage? Of course I’m a lot more optimistic with the new staff in charge.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Much has been made about the number of FA the Cowboys have and who will get deals, etc.

According to Over the Cap, the Cowboys have approximately 81 million in cap space. Assuming deals for Cooper and Dak (either by tag or extension), will probably eat 50 million or more of that. A little less if extensions as the hit can be spread out a little more. I do think the Cowboys can keep both of those and still keep at least one of Collins or Jones if they choose. But where could the Cowboys get some savings if they wanted. Here are my top contenders.

1. Tyrone Crawford. Crawford is due to count 9.1 million to the cap in 2020, but could be cut and save 8 million. I really can't see the Cowboys bringing him back at the 8 million base salary. He's coming off injury and aging. Crawford is well-respected in the locker room and does bring some versatility along the line. That being said, his money could be used in other areas. I could see a restructure to a base of 4-5 million getting the Cowboys back 3 million is space.

2. Tyron Smith. In 2020, Smith is due to count 13.5 million to the cap. I do not believe Smith will be cut, but he could be due for a restructure. He has four more years on his deal and the last two of those he has no more of his prorated bonus. The Cowboys could convert as much as 6-7 million of his salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining four years. This restructure would make him more expensive down the road and push a cap charge later if we decided to cut him. This move would only happen if the Cowboys find themselves in a cap crunch to keep the players they would like.

3. Chris Jones. Jones counts 2.4 million to the 2020 cap. The Cowboys could save 1.4 cutting Jones or even more post June 1. Jones has declined as a punter in recent years and replacement punters can be found cheaply. Personally, I do not believe Jones's performance warrants the investment. I don't see the Cowboys cutting Jones outright, but if a replacement is found he could easily be cut to find space if needed.

Personally, I believe the Cowboys can create enough cap space to keep Dak, Cooper, and at least one of Collins or Jones if they desire and maybe even fit all of them.
We already signed the Collins the O-Lineman.

Loso86

Reaction score
that bar was very low.

More importantly, what happened to Chris Jones!?!?
He was our best player not long ago....
Wasnt that low you still had 3 all pro players out there playing. Plus the contract he took will help this team later very cheap for his play and age. Lol chris jones needs to go, time to get cheaper and younger there

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Much has been made about the number of FA the Cowboys have and who will get deals, etc.

According to Over the Cap, the Cowboys have approximately 81 million in cap space. Assuming deals for Cooper and Dak (either by tag or extension), will probably eat 50 million or more of that. A little less if extensions as the hit can be spread out a little more. I do think the Cowboys can keep both of those and still keep at least one of Collins or Jones if they choose. But where could the Cowboys get some savings if they wanted. Here are my top contenders.

1. Tyrone Crawford. Crawford is due to count 9.1 million to the cap in 2020, but could be cut and save 8 million. I really can't see the Cowboys bringing him back at the 8 million base salary. He's coming off injury and aging. Crawford is well-respected in the locker room and does bring some versatility along the line. That being said, his money could be used in other areas. I could see a restructure to a base of 4-5 million getting the Cowboys back 3 million is space.

2. Tyron Smith. In 2020, Smith is due to count 13.5 million to the cap. I do not believe Smith will be cut, but he could be due for a restructure. He has four more years on his deal and the last two of those he has no more of his prorated bonus. The Cowboys could convert as much as 6-7 million of his salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining four years. This restructure would make him more expensive down the road and push a cap charge later if we decided to cut him. This move would only happen if the Cowboys find themselves in a cap crunch to keep the players they would like.

3. Chris Jones. Jones counts 2.4 million to the 2020 cap. The Cowboys could save 1.4 cutting Jones or even more post June 1. Jones has declined as a punter in recent years and replacement punters can be found cheaply. Personally, I do not believe Jones's performance warrants the investment. I don't see the Cowboys cutting Jones outright, but if a replacement is found he could easily be cut to find space if needed.

Personally, I believe the Cowboys can create enough cap space to keep Dak, Cooper, and at least one of Collins or Jones if they desire and maybe even fit all of them.

Yeah let's go scrambling for dollars so we can keep this 8-8 group together.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dak and Cooper will not take 50MM in cap space in the 2020-2021 season. Extreme lack of understanding.

It is then I stopped reading.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I was looking at this the other day and the Cowboys have about 20 players who are FAs so that cap space isnt really as large as it appears. Smith has been restructured a couple times already and he is boat anchor dragging this offensive line down. Every season we hear about how his back feels great and about 4 weeks into the season he is managing his reps then at 8 weeks his isnt practicing and he playing the rest of the season hurt. And when he is out there he is just a shell of a player compared to what he was. This team needs to move on from him. Crawford needs to go also. The Cowboys need to look at the draft to add for help at LT and DT
I read you guys wanting to cut all these guys to play the cap rullett game.

Tyron Smith?

At 70% he is still better than 80% in the league at his position.

We are already dealing with injures at LG and RG, LT and RG and TE is totally in limbo.

Beard seems improved

ghst187

Reaction score
Wasnt that low you still had 3 all pro players out there playing. Plus the contract he took will help this team later very cheap for his play and age. Lol chris jones needs to go, time to get cheaper and younger there

3 all pro players that didn’t play like all pro players...or close.
Agree Jones leg died or something, easily replaceable.

Loso86

Reaction score
3 all pro players that didn’t play like all pro players...or close.
Agree Jones leg died or something, easily replaceable.
Yet still tanked top 3 or 5 at the position . They havent been great but do you remember how the line looked before them?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What about signing DT Hargrave from the Steelers and DT Phillips ? Let Crawford walk save 5 million and invest in two DT's
I think thats a bit much with adding Dak, cooper and Byron but if they can do it im fine

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Stephen has learned one thing the past few seasons and that is renegotiating contracts may free up some cap space now but also adds dead money down the road. Stephen has greatly reduced the number of contracts he's done that on knowing that vicious cycle has to end and that is why the Cowboys have approximately 81 mil in cap space this year. He's been breaking the cycle and the cap space is the results.

garyv

Reaction score
Stephen has learned one thing the past few seasons and that is renegotiating contracts may free up some cap space now but also adds dead money down the road. Stephen has greatly reduced the number of contracts he's done that on knowing that vicious cycle has to end and that is why the Cowboys have approximately 81 mil in cap space this year. He's been breaking the cycle and the cap space is the results.

True statement but if you dont stay active in free agency you cant compete with teams like SF that are adding players in FA

FanSince71

Reaction score
Seeing how much Green Bay’s defense improved after such a strong offseason in free agency, I find myself wanting to land some real help before the draft. A couple of potential starters/impact players this time, not just depth and rotational guys. I hope Stephen and Jerry are open to the concept - and assuming the coaching staff/scouts identify players they really want. Also, if we get a few pieces before the draft it helps us not have to reach for players to fill holes in the roster.

As much as I’d love to acquire two BIG, bad defensive tackles, I’d rather get one and grab some help at LB, safety and cornerback. They can’t all be first wave free agents, because we could never afford it with having to pay Dak & Amari. But a stud DT, some LB depth with potential, a safety who could come in and start (which shouldn’t be too hard to find, considering) and a couple of CB’s who can play and be options in case guys like Chido don’t elevate their game.

I’m sure I have “pie in the sky” mentality and we might not be able to accomplish all of this in one offseason, but in my eyes, everything we’ve done so far has been to WIN NOW. I don’t want to have to rely on more than one or two rookies, TOPS, to start for us and be able to win.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Great post :bow::bow::bow::bow::welcome: want to see #1 cut Crawford yesterday:laugh: