Cowboys Cap Outlook and Potential Cuts/Restructures

Tussinman

Reaction score
What are you looking at to arrive at this conclusion?
both the length of the deal (10 years total) with less than 25% of it being guranteed means it offered the team extreme flexibility with restructure (which they've done twice so far)

The contract from the get-go screamed restructured which to no surprise they have restructured the deal twice with 4 years still left on it.........

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Much has been made about the number of FA the Cowboys have and who will get deals, etc.

According to Over the Cap, the Cowboys have approximately 81 million in cap space. Assuming deals for Cooper and Dak (either by tag or extension), will probably eat 50 million or more of that. A little less if extensions as the hit can be spread out a little more. I do think the Cowboys can keep both of those and still keep at least one of Collins or Jones if they choose. But where could the Cowboys get some savings if they wanted. Here are my top contenders.

1. Tyrone Crawford. Crawford is due to count 9.1 million to the cap in 2020, but could be cut and save 8 million. I really can't see the Cowboys bringing him back at the 8 million base salary. He's coming off injury and aging. Crawford is well-respected in the locker room and does bring some versatility along the line. That being said, his money could be used in other areas. I could see a restructure to a base of 4-5 million getting the Cowboys back 3 million is space.

2. Tyron Smith. In 2020, Smith is due to count 13.5 million to the cap. I do not believe Smith will be cut, but he could be due for a restructure. He has four more years on his deal and the last two of those he has no more of his prorated bonus. The Cowboys could convert as much as 6-7 million of his salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining four years. This restructure would make him more expensive down the road and push a cap charge later if we decided to cut him. This move would only happen if the Cowboys find themselves in a cap crunch to keep the players they would like.

3. Chris Jones. Jones counts 2.4 million to the 2020 cap. The Cowboys could save 1.4 cutting Jones or even more post June 1. Jones has declined as a punter in recent years and replacement punters can be found cheaply. Personally, I do not believe Jones's performance warrants the investment. I don't see the Cowboys cutting Jones outright, but if a replacement is found he could easily be cut to find space if needed.

Personally, I believe the Cowboys can create enough cap space to keep Dak, Cooper, and at least one of Collins or Jones if they desire and maybe even fit all of them.

As this forum’s most respected poster, I just want to say thank you for the work.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Much has been made about the number of FA the Cowboys have and who will get deals, etc.

According to Over the Cap, the Cowboys have approximately 81 million in cap space. Assuming deals for Cooper and Dak (either by tag or extension), will probably eat 50 million or more of that. A little less if extensions as the hit can be spread out a little more. I do think the Cowboys can keep both of those and still keep at least one of Collins or Jones if they choose. But where could the Cowboys get some savings if they wanted. Here are my top contenders.

1. Tyrone Crawford. Crawford is due to count 9.1 million to the cap in 2020, but could be cut and save 8 million. I really can't see the Cowboys bringing him back at the 8 million base salary. He's coming off injury and aging. Crawford is well-respected in the locker room and does bring some versatility along the line. That being said, his money could be used in other areas. I could see a restructure to a base of 4-5 million getting the Cowboys back 3 million is space.

2. Tyron Smith. In 2020, Smith is due to count 13.5 million to the cap. I do not believe Smith will be cut, but he could be due for a restructure. He has four more years on his deal and the last two of those he has no more of his prorated bonus. The Cowboys could convert as much as 6-7 million of his salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining four years. This restructure would make him more expensive down the road and push a cap charge later if we decided to cut him. This move would only happen if the Cowboys find themselves in a cap crunch to keep the players they would like.

3. Chris Jones. Jones counts 2.4 million to the 2020 cap. The Cowboys could save 1.4 cutting Jones or even more post June 1. Jones has declined as a punter in recent years and replacement punters can be found cheaply. Personally, I do not believe Jones's performance warrants the investment. I don't see the Cowboys cutting Jones outright, but if a replacement is found he could easily be cut to find space if needed.

Personally, I believe the Cowboys can create enough cap space to keep Dak, Cooper, and at least one of Collins or Jones if they desire and maybe even fit all of them.

They don't need to create cap room to keep Dak, Amari, and another player. Really we are talking a small portion of the cap here.

Bring in some competition for Jones. Work out something with Crawford (e.g., I'd guarantee 8 mill over two years if he takes a 2 year, 10 mill deal or something similar). Do not in any circumstance convert salary to bonus on Smith - with his back issues, pay as you go is the best approach.

The real moves to look for are:

1. Conversion of D-Law's salary to bonus. His 2020 salary is guaranteed, we almost always convert those to bonuses if we need space.

2. We can potentially squeeze 5-6 mill out of La'el and Jaylon's deals. They both are fully guaranteed for 2020 but neither is a giant salary.

I can see us doing all three of these if there is no CBA agreement reached and we end up tagging both Dak and Amari - otherwise, the money is there if we need it for a third or 4th deal.

Kaiser

Reaction score
1. Conversion of D-Law's salary to bonus. His 2020 salary is guaranteed, we almost always convert those to bonuses if we need space.

They probably won't even get to the point of needing it but DLaw has 17 Million in Salary, Zack Martin 10 and Frederick 7. They can easily free up 25 Million in cap space from those three deals if they want to do it.

Sandyf

Reaction score

A good try but we have already signed Collins to a 5 year deal that is already in the cap number. We are 81 million under the cap but if we resign Dak, Cooper and Jones they actually will probably not eat up anymore than $40 million this year in cap space. It is all in how they structure the contracts, in fact it is possible they all together would be less than $40 mil. With the new CBA and some of the projections with the gambling money, it actually may turn out to be a drop in the bucket.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
A good try but we have already signed Collins to a 5 year deal that is already in the cap number. We are 81 million under the cap but if we resign Dak, Cooper and Jones they actually will probably not eat up anymore than $40 million this year in cap space. It is all in how they structure the contracts, in fact it is possible they all together would be less than $40 mil. With the new CBA and some of the projections with the gambling money, it actually may turn out to be a drop in the bucket.
Wrong Collins homie.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
They probably won't even get to the point of needing it but DLaw has 17 Million in Salary, Zack Martin 10 and Frederick 7. They can easily free up 25 Million in cap space from those three deals if they want to do it.

They'd likely keep off Zak and Fred's deals unless there is a real need (i.e., no CBA and have to use both franchise and transition tags). Particularly Fred as he didn't really look like himself in 2019

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Jones to me is replaceable. His average was way down and I think we can find someone who can help get us better field position.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jones to me is replaceable. His average was way down and I think we can find someone who can help get us better field position.
Yeah...
He was a pure mensch for a minute though.
That dude would go after you.
americaspunter.0.gif

faaake.0.gif

Creeper

Reaction score
I would only restructure Tyron Smith as a last resort. I don;t rust he is going to get any healthier and they may wind up doing a Demarcus Ware to him because he will not be the player he once was, but he will be making a lot of money against the cap. I think Byron Jones is gone. I am sure the Cowboys would love to sign him, but I think some foolish teams are going to blow our minds with the deals they offer him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was looking at this the other day and the Cowboys have about 20 players who are FAs so that cap space isnt really as large as it appears. Smith has been restructured a couple times already and he is boat anchor dragging this offensive line down. Every season we hear about how his back feels great and about 4 weeks into the season he is managing his reps then at 8 weeks his isnt practicing and he playing the rest of the season hurt. And when he is out there he is just a shell of a player compared to what he was. This team needs to move on from him. Crawford needs to go also. The Cowboys need to look at the draft to add for help at LT and DT

2nd Team Pro Bowl. We could use more anchors like that. At 10 mil salary, he's positive value for the next couple of years. There's no hurry to move on from him.

Reports are that Crawford will take a pay cut. Given our desperate need at 3T, we have to take a look at that.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They guys who pull in big bucks are always draft casualty targets. I think this year could be different. Yea Dallas could use a new 1st round LT or DT. Cooper might not make the cut at his cost, so those positions are prob draft targets along with the normal DE, LB, DB.

I want the trade down for next years first, draft the Clemson QB, trade up with 2 1sts...so tag Dak. They prob have to let Cooper go. Let Mcarthy start with a cheap QB and no 20m a year WR. Then use rounds 2 and 3 wisely, I would look for OL/DL/WR