Cowboys Cap Space for 2021

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Your first sentence really summed it up.
It reminds some people of when they failed math classes in High School.

The reason for starting this thread is that I honestly wanted to know how we could afford to offer Dak a second Tag when our CAP Space for next year will be so low.
If they restructure the top 7 contracts after the 2020 season, then they'll have $92.5M of cap space available to Franchise Dak and sign other players.

All I got was dismissive posts saying,' we'll find the money, we always do' or 'you cant work out the CAP', or the free agents are only back ups or minor positions.
It is much better these days with OverTheCap and Spotrac. I would post spreadsheets back in the day and that made for endless arguments by people that did not understand the cap.

I see we have $36m (+11m carry over) and a number of FA's that we need.....including a number of starters ....all with less that $10m if Dak is given the second TAG.
As stated previously: If they restructure the top 7 contracts after the 2020 season, then they'll have $92.5M of cap space available to Franchise Dak and sign other players.

I'm aware of restructuring (poor contracts), cutting and subsequent dead money.....but again I appreciate that restructuring bad deals makes money guaranteed and more difficult to cut in the future (im sure we'd be looking to cut DLaw, Zeke or Coop in 2022....because our CAP doesnt get any better).
Restructuring only guarantees the upcoming season's base salary because it is converted to a bonus that can be spread out over as many as 5 years.
- The base salary is guaranteed anyway once the season starts. Guaranteeing it in March is not much of a risk.
- A player can be cut and the team can incur dead money but actually still increase their cap space as compared to keeping the player (If the player's upcoming base salary is more than the dead money).

I get the restructuring good players for longer contracts, but we've run out on largish contracts that we can extend : Zack Martin, Tyron Smith are both paid until they are 33ish and to extend further at such physical positions is dangerous (and Collins starts getting paid top dollar in 2021)
- The Cowboys really only completely maxed out the cap once.
- That was in March of 2013 when Romo had a big base salary on his existing contract and they were negotiating to sign him to a new contract.
- Once Romo signed the new contract it freed up significant cap space.
- They had Franchised Spencer for a 2nd time and were literally out of cap space. They restructured the backup QB despite only getting 200K of cap space by doing it.

The Cowboys have been very good with the cap in the past several years. They improved the talent from 2014 to 2020 while improving the cap situation.

The only reason they don't show significant cap space in 2020 is because they have not restructured most of the big contracts.

Brilliant :flagwave:, that's clarified matters.

Yes it does appear that there's little guaranteed money vested in the 3 apparently damaging contracts (DLaw, Zeke and Coop) and so with your explanation and @jaythecowboy putting me right on the fact that even though restructured for CAP purposes (but still benefits the player as they are still being paid 'upfront') ....I suppose we arent in as much trouble I thought.

I suppose it takes Well-Known Members to put us Noobs in our place :laugh::clap: