Cowboys Cap Space for 2021

conner01

Reaction score
OK, so using that criteria you CAN work out a projected CAP figure.

We'd have - $19m (+ whatever we carry over from 2020, atm $11M)

= CAP SPACE= maximum of $30m ............Without signing DAK, or any other Free Agent.
True but how many players do you have under contract
Last year we had 25 or so FA
If the cap stays the same then your growth is from players leaving
Those players with the exception of Dak’s contract are fairly cheap players
In the end what ever we do at QB is what is going to determine what we have to spend because it’s gonna cost most of the money or most of your picks which means more players have to be bought instead of drafted

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking for some clarity on roughly how much we have available to spend in 2021.

I'm new to NFL finances, but cannot accept some posts that say that "we dont know"....every business has an an idea.

Using OVER THE CAP, this is what I think we've got (will have):

1) 2020 - we've under spent by $11.25m which can be carried over to 2021.

2) The CAP is calculated each March, based on 48% of certain NFL revenues.

3) Before the virus hit, OVER THE CAP calculated that there would be an increase of $17m in 2021 to $215m

4) Using these pre virus calculations, we only have $36m (plus whatever's carried over of the 2020 $11m).

5) Whilst some positions can possibly be filled in the draft, we are lacking:
- 2 Safeties
- 3 LB's (hoping Gifford develops)
- 2 CB's
-1 Center
- 2 DE's
-2 QB's

All out of the $47m........is that basically correct?

I appreciate the following but is it wishful thinking?
- Extend but aging contracts (Martin / Smith) until they're in the late 30,s
- Restructure bad contracts (guaranteeing money to DLaw/Zeke and Coops)
- Release bad contracts - cant happen in 2021 .... the cheapest would be Zeke (Dead Money = $13m)
- Deferred contracts to FA's - BUT ..... limited CAP Space (with increases) 2022 = $54m and 2023 = $84m (last in the NFL)

The salary cap is a touchy subject at CZ.

They have not under spent yet, because the season has not started.
- The rule of 51 is in place during the off-season (only the top 51 contracts count against the cap).
- When the season starts the 52nd and 53rd contracts plus the practice squad plus any players on IR.
- There are normally a few players cut after training camp that had some (usually small amounts) of guaranteed money. That hits the cap also.

Projecting the cap in future years become very difficult.
- Comparing future cap space of different teams is almost meaningless because some have more players under contract for those future years than others.
- Teams like the Cowboys don't have any cap hit shown in future years for certain big contracts like Dak.
- Other teams (Chiefs) do have their big contract on the books now.

I'm not clear how much you understand out restructuring contracts to push money into future years.
- If Dak signs a 5 year contract for 35M per year, but the cap hit in year 1 is 10M, then that means they've pushed 25M into future years.

Looking at this year's cap or even next year's cap space gives limited information because you con't know how much cap space was pushed forward.
- The pushed forward amount can be calculated for each player but doing it for all players on a roster would be difficult.

Example of calculating money pushed forward (Zack Martin's contract):
If he plays to the end of his contract, his total career earning will have been: 102.33M
His current contract is 6 years, 84M and the 1st of the 6 years started in 2019.
That means that 102.33M - 84M = 18.33M was the amount he earned in the first 5 seasons (rookie contract plus 5th year option).

Prior to 2019, they had taking cap hits of 14.99M on his contract.
That means they pushed forward 18.33M - 14.99M = 3.34M from his first 5 years into the the future.

Starting in 2019 with the new contract averaging 14M per plus 3.34M of cap hit from the previous contract.

If they wanted to "pay as you go" then they would take a cap hit for the new contract of 14M per season.

In 2019 they did take a cap hit of 14M. That means they only pushed forward the 3.34M from his previous contract again.

In 2020 they're scheduled to take a cap hit of 15M on this contract. That means they're taking the 14M cap hit for his new contract and paying off 1M of the 3.34M they "owe" to the cap bank.

That is the scheduled cap hit for 2020. They could at anytime, restructure his contract to push more money forward.
- They could convert his 2020 base salary of 11M into a 1M base salary plus a 10M restructure bonus.
- The bonus cap hit would be divided over 2020 to 2024 (5 years) for a cap hit of 2M per year.
- His 2020 cap hit would then be reduced by replace in the 11M salary with a 1M salary plus 2M cap hit for the bonus. That's 11M - 3M = 8M "saved".
- His 2020 cap hit would then be 15M - 8M = 7M.

You would need to do the calculations for all players on all rosters in order to really be able to compare the cap situations of all teams.

Recap:
Other than the QB position, the Cowboys and Chiefs might have the exact same number of players under contract at all of the exact same positions.
If UnderTheCap had the Cowboys and Chiefs both with 35M of cap space in 2021, it would be misleading because the Cowboys would be missing the 35M average salary for Dak.

Verdict

Reaction score
So we can fill those spaces with $10m ...... ?????
So we can fill those spaces with decent FA's when we cant compete with other teams financially.
We've attempted to cover ourselves with the CB draftees. [/QUOTE]

Ive already factored in Diggs....still need two more.

[/QUOTE]Safeties aren't expensive, and we can get serviceable ones in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Spent $6m this year on them

[/QUOTE]My main concern is defensive end.[/QUOTE]

You've already over spent and you'll need two and at least two Linebackers and a Center.

So youve got us drafting a CB, a Safety and possibly a DE .....oh and we'll need to cover ourselves with a QB, in case Dak doesnt sign.

Go look at our history of how many players make it from draft.
[/QUOTE]
A center? We just drafted the Wisconsin center and a couple of other guys who can play center. I would think it would be reasonable to think that we may be ok at center.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Looking for some clarity on roughly how much we have available to spend in 2021.

I'm new to NFL finances, but cannot accept some posts that say that "we dont know"....every business has an an idea.

Using OVER THE CAP, this is what I think we've got (will have):

1) 2020 - we've under spent by $11.25m which can be carried over to 2021.

2) The CAP is calculated each March, based on 48% of certain NFL revenues.

3) Before the virus hit, OVER THE CAP calculated that there would be an increase of $17m in 2021 to $215m

4) Using these pre virus calculations, we only have $36m (plus whatever's carried over of the 2020 $11m).

5) Whilst some positions can possibly be filled in the draft, we are lacking:
- 2 Safeties
- 3 LB's (hoping Gifford develops)
- 2 CB's
-1 Center
- 2 DE's
-2 QB's

All out of the $47m........is that basically correct?

I appreciate the following but is it wishful thinking?
- Extend but aging contracts (Martin / Smith) until they're in the late 30,s
- Restructure bad contracts (guaranteeing money to DLaw/Zeke and Coops)
- Release bad contracts - cant happen in 2021 .... the cheapest would be Zeke (Dead Money = $13m)
- Deferred contracts to FA's - BUT ..... limited CAP Space (with increases) 2022 = $54m and 2023 = $84m (last in the NFL)
Good forecast in uncertain times.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The salary cap is a touchy subject at CZ.

They have not under spent yet, because the season has not started.
- The rule of 51 is in place during the off-season (only the top 51 contracts count against the cap).
- When the season starts the 52nd and 53rd contracts plus the practice squad plus any players on IR.
- There are normally a few players cut after training camp that had some (usually small amounts) of guaranteed money. That hits the cap also.

Projecting the cap in future years become very difficult.
- Comparing future cap space of different teams is almost meaningless because some have more players under contract for those future years than others.
- Teams like the Cowboys don't have any cap hit shown in future years for certain big contracts like Dak.
- Other teams (Chiefs) do have their big contract on the books now.

I'm not clear how much you understand out restructuring contracts to push money into future years.
- If Dak signs a 5 year contract for 35M per year, but the cap hit in year 1 is 10M, then that means they've pushed 25M into future years.

Looking at this year's cap or even next year's cap space gives limited information because you con't know how much cap space was pushed forward.
- The pushed forward amount can be calculated for each player but doing it for all players on a roster would be difficult.

Example of calculating money pushed forward (Zack Martin's contract):
If he plays to the end of his contract, his total career earning will have been: 102.33M
His current contract is 6 years, 84M and the 1st of the 6 years started in 2019.
That means that 102.33M - 84M = 18.33M was the amount he earned in the first 5 seasons (rookie contract plus 5th year option).

Prior to 2019, they had taking cap hits of 14.99M on his contract.
That means they pushed forward 18.33M - 14.99M = 3.34M from his first 5 years into the the future.

Starting in 2019 with the new contract averaging 14M per plus 3.34M of cap hit from the previous contract.

If they wanted to "pay as you go" then they would take a cap hit for the new contract of 14M per season.

In 2019 they did take a cap hit of 14M. That means they only pushed forward the 3.34M from his previous contract again.

In 2020 they're scheduled to take a cap hit of 15M on this contract. That means they're taking the 14M cap hit for his new contract and paying off 1M of the 3.34M they "owe" to the cap bank.

That is the scheduled cap hit for 2020. They could at anytime, restructure his contract to push more money forward.
- They could convert his 2020 base salary of 11M into a 1M base salary plus a 10M restructure bonus.
- The bonus cap hit would be divided over 2020 to 2024 (5 years) for a cap hit of 2M per year.
- His 2020 cap hit would then be reduced by replace in the 11M salary with a 1M salary plus 2M cap hit for the bonus. That's 11M - 3M = 8M "saved".
- His 2020 cap hit would then be 15M - 8M = 7M.

You would need to do the calculations for all players on all rosters in order to really be able to compare the cap situations of all teams.

Recap:
Other than the QB position, the Cowboys and Chiefs might have the exact same number of players under contract at all of the exact same positions.
If UnderTheCap had the Cowboys and Chiefs both with 35M of cap space in 2021, it would be misleading because the Cowboys would be missing the 35M average salary for Dak.

Thanks for the post, appreciated.

Your first sentence really summed it up.

The reason for starting this thread is that I honestly wanted to know how we could afford to offer Dak a second Tag when our CAP Space for next year will be so low.

All I got was dismissive posts saying,' we'll find the money, we always do' or 'you cant work out the CAP', or the free agents are only back ups or minor positions.

I see we have $36m (+11m carry over) and a number of FA's that we need.....including a number of starters ....all with less that $10m if Dak is given the second TAG.

I'm aware of restructuring (poor contracts), cutting and subsequent dead money.....but again I appreciate that restructuring bad deals makes money guaranteed and more difficult to cut in the future (im sure we'd be looking to cut DLaw, Zeke or Coop in 2022....because our CAP doesnt get any better).

I get the restructuring good players for longer contracts, but we've run out on largish contracts that we can extend : Zack Martin, Tyron Smith are both paid until they are 33ish and to extend further at such physical positions is dangerous (and Collins starts getting paid top dollar in 2021).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith isn't under contract?
Gregory only has 2 years of service time. He is a ERFA at best. He is going nowhere.
I'll grant Woods.

My point still stands.

Thought you meant Aldon Smith. Gregory's contract isnt included in the CAP roster.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith isn't under contract?
Gregory only has 2 years of service time. He is a ERFA at best. He is going nowhere.
I'll grant Woods.

My point still stands.

He's talking about Aldon Smith. He isn't getting re-signed regardless. Either he plays bad and the Cowboys don't want him, or he plays well in which case the Cowboys will gladly take a comp pick for him. I don't think the contract situation is as bleak as the op thinks. None of those guys are core players and the Cowboys have 10 draft picks. They should be able to fill out the roster. Plus if Donovan Wilson or Reggie Robinson are capable enough to play meaningful snaps that's one less need for the team. If I were the Cowboys I would address DE, CB, and safety first three rounds, then they should have a 3rd round comp pick they could use at linebacker. Then get backups with the rest of the picks. The only real loss is Sean Lee which was a bit of a luxury anyway. SAM linebacker isn't a position you generally put a lot of resources in.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He's talking about Aldon Smith. He isn't getting re-signed regardless. Either he plays bad and the Cowboys don't want him, or he plays well in which case the Cowboys will gladly take a comp pick for him. I don't think the contract situation is as bleak as the op thinks. None of those guys are core players and the Cowboys have 10 draft picks. They should be able to fill out the roster. Plus if Donovan Wilson or Reggie Robinson are capable enough to play meaningful snaps that's one less need for the team. If I were the Cowboys I would address DE, CB, and safety first three rounds, then they should have a 3rd round comp pick they could use at linebacker. Then get backups with the rest of the picks. The only real loss is Sean Lee which was a bit of a luxury anyway. SAM linebacker isn't a position you generally put a lot of resources in.

If Dak doesnt sign by the 15th wouldnt we need to draft a QB. We probably wont be able to afford Dalton as back up.

My concern with relying on the draft is how many make it in the first season as regular starters?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If Dak doesnt sign by the 15th wouldnt we need to draft a QB. We probably wont be able to afford Dalton as back up.

My concern with relying on the draft is how many make it in the first season as regular starters?

Are you talking about starting qb or backup? They would still be able to franchise tag Dak again. If you mean backup you can grab another late round guy to compete with Dinucci.

I think there is a pretty solid track record of the top 3 round being somewhat productive. They hit those positions early in the draft and they should be fine. And worst comes to worse, they can restructure a contract to get another $10 million or so if they need it.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Are you talking about starting qb or backup? They would still be able to franchise tag Dak again. If you mean backup you can grab another late round guy to compete with Dinucci.

I think there is a pretty solid track record of the top 3 round being somewhat productive. They hit those positions early in the draft and they should be fine. And worst comes to worse, they can restructure a contract to get another $10 million or so if they need it.

If Dak doesnt sign we need to draft a QB to potentially start in 2021.

There's nothing stopping Dak from not signing the second Tag and if he see's we have no viable alternative (Dinucci or later round draft pick) it will strengthen his negotiating position......similarly this year, the only reason he didnt threaten to sit out was that Dalton is a reasonable replacement.

Who are you referring to when you say restructuring a contract to get another $10m or so? The nuances about contracts is where I really struggle.

Do you look at the three 'poor' contracts (DLaw, Zeke, Coop) and say:

1) They are all over paid
2) All could be cut in 2022 for minimal dead money (i think we'd save $19m, $12m and $20m if cut after 1st June) .....which would free up money for cheaper Gallup and Pollard and some left over.
3) We'll offer (Dlaw, Zeke and/or Coop) guaranteed money in the future (in exchange for a reduction in 2021 salary).

I dont see how we could restructure the Tyron Smith and Zack Martin contracts as would we want even more money tied up in playeres in their mid 30's?

Flamma

Reaction score
The reason for starting this thread is that I honestly wanted to know how we could afford to offer Dak a second Tag when our CAP Space for next year will be so low.

I don't know why people keep bringing up a 2nd tag. I don't see that happening. He'll either sign a new deal this year or next year. A second tag isn't happening. If there's any truth to the contract dispute being over length of contract, there's a reason for that. A second tag counters that reason. So for the same reason Jerry doesn't want to sign Dak to 4 years will be the same reason he's not getting tagged a 2nd time!

As far as cap space goes. You get a general idea of how much it goes up every year. I think it is around 10-12 mil a year over the last 5 years. This 2021 might be different. It may not go up. As far as the players go, it's not that complicated. You can get a general idea just by looking at 10-15 player contracts and see where they go. Or have a pretty good idea of who will not be resigned and who will retire. None of this considers restructures however.

fivetwos

Reaction score

There's nothing stopping Dak from not signing the second Tag and if he see's we have no viable alternative (Dinucci or later round draft pick) it will strengthen his negotiating position......similarly this year, the only reason he didnt threaten to sit out was that Dalton is a reasonable replacement.

Who are you referring to when you say restructuring a contract to get another $10m or so? The nuances about contracts is where I really struggle.

2) All could be cut in 2022 for minimal dead money (i think we'd save $19m, $12m and $20m if cut after 1st June) .....which would free up money for cheaper Gallup and Pollard and some left over.
3) We'll offer (Dlaw, Zeke and/or Coop) guaranteed money in the future (in exchange for a reduction in 2021 salary).

I dont see how we could restructure the Tyron Smith and Zack Martin contracts as would we want even more money tied up in playeres in their mid 30's?
Dont know about the other two, but Elliott will be here for 2022. His salary for 2021 is already guaranteed, and needs to be cut in March 2021 if 2022 is not also guaranteed.

Theres no doing anything with that contract until the final two bogus years come up.

The good news is he is an extremely upstanding citizen and has a serious passion about football. His team first attitude and ability to stay in shape are something younger players can look up to.

He sets a fine example, and his desire to win is unmatched by any player I've seen in some time.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I would consider La'el Collins first for restructure. He has a $12 million cap hit in 2021. His cap hit is actually pretty low for how well he played last season. Dak was never going to sit out regardless of whether Dalton was here or not. He wasn't leaving $31 million on the table, and I don't see him leaving $38 million on the table next year. Also like I said if Dak doesn't sign the tag and the Cowboys draft a qb, they can rescind the tag and use that cap elsewhere.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would consider La'el Collins first for restructure. He has a $12 million cap hit in 2021. His cap hit is actually pretty low for how well he played last season. Dak was never going to sit out regardless of whether Dalton was here or not. He wasn't leaving $31 million on the table, and I don't see him leaving $38 million on the table next year. Also like I said if Dak doesn't sign the tag and the Cowboys draft a qb, they can rescind the tag and use that cap elsewhere.

Explain why (and who) the restructuring of Collins contract actually benefits.... as this is what I dont really get.

He's young, well regarded good player on an escalating contract (which can be cut with a minimum of dead money) and paid as a top 5 RT in the NFL

Is it that the Cowboys would go to Collins and offer him less money in 2021 and in exchange guarantee more money in the future?

If so couldnt Collins just reply ...."no thanks, i'll stick to what im getting, I want the money now".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the post, appreciated.

Your first sentence really summed it up.
It reminds some people of when they failed math classes in High School.

If they restructure the top 7 contracts after the 2020 season, then they'll have $92.5M of cap space available to Franchise Dak and sign other players.

All I got was dismissive posts saying,' we'll find the money, we always do' or 'you cant work out the CAP', or the free agents are only back ups or minor positions.
It is much better these days with OverTheCap and Spotrac. I would post spreadsheets back in the day and that made for endless arguments by people that did not understand the cap.

I see we have $36m (+11m carry over) and a number of FA's that we need.....including a number of starters ....all with less that $10m if Dak is given the second TAG.
As stated previously: If they restructure the top 7 contracts after the 2020 season, then they'll have $92.5M of cap space available to Franchise Dak and sign other players.

I'm aware of restructuring (poor contracts), cutting and subsequent dead money.....but again I appreciate that restructuring bad deals makes money guaranteed and more difficult to cut in the future (im sure we'd be looking to cut DLaw, Zeke or Coop in 2022....because our CAP doesnt get any better).
Restructuring only guarantees the upcoming season's base salary because it is converted to a bonus that can be spread out over as many as 5 years.
- The base salary is guaranteed anyway once the season starts. Guaranteeing it in March is not much of a risk.
- A player can be cut and the team can incur dead money but actually still increase their cap space as compared to keeping the player (If the player's upcoming base salary is more than the dead money).

I get the restructuring good players for longer contracts, but we've run out on largish contracts that we can extend : Zack Martin, Tyron Smith are both paid until they are 33ish and to extend further at such physical positions is dangerous (and Collins starts getting paid top dollar in 2021)
- The Cowboys really only completely maxed out the cap once.
- That was in March of 2013 when Romo had a big base salary on his existing contract and they were negotiating to sign him to a new contract.
- Once Romo signed the new contract it freed up significant cap space.
- They had Franchised Spencer for a 2nd time and were literally out of cap space. They restructured the backup QB despite only getting 200K of cap space by doing it.

The Cowboys have been very good with the cap in the past several years. They improved the talent from 2014 to 2020 while improving the cap situation.

The only reason they don't show significant cap space in 2020 is because they have not restructured most of the big contracts.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Explain why (and who) the restructuring of Collins contract actually benefits.... as this is what I dont really get.

He's young, well regarded good player on an escalating contract (which can be cut with a minimum of dead money) and paid as a top 5 RT in the NFL

Is it that the Cowboys would go to Collins and offer him less money in 2021 and in exchange guarantee more money in the future?

If so couldnt Collins just reply ...."no thanks, i'll stick to what im getting, I want the money now".

Restructuring generally lowers the cap hit in the current year by turning the money into bonus and splitting it up in future years of the deal. So it lowers a players cap hit for that year and increases it for future years. It is an advantage for the player because they get their money sooner. It's not a pay cut.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Restructuring generally lowers the cap hit in the current year by turning the money into bonus and splitting it up in future years of the deal. So it lowers a players cap hit for that year and increases it for future years. It is an advantage for the player because they get their money sooner. It's not a pay cut.

I didnt say it was a pay cut.

They dont get their money sooner, they get it later, but, its guaranteed.