Twitter: Cowboys close to signing Dontari Poe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plankton

Reaction score
It's true, they are close. Here's Stephen Jones reaching for the contract to sign it and make it official:

giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
600+ posts, no signing.
Cowboys!
Blame the media for jumping the gun and fans who believed it was close..lol maybe between 2-3 DT they are having internal discussions on whos the better choice and weighing the Crawford cut or restructure etc..the Covid dal is slowing the process..they cant do physicals etc or even work out layers so theres that..

Proof

Reaction score
Blame the media for jumping the gun and fans who believed it was close..lol maybe between 2-3 DT they are having internal discussions on whos the better choice and weighing the Crawford cut or restructure etc..the Covid dal is slowing the process..they cant do physicals etc or even work out layers so theres that..

Yeah, just funny.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
weed isn’t gonna get him suspended anymore. So there literally 0 reason to be against him being here, his talent is undeniable
From what I heard about the CBA, those with prior suspensions are not exempt. And can still be subject to testing ?
Which means, although they may reinstate him, it's not clear sailing yet.
And yes, it's just weed and would far rather have smoking that then painkillers etc.
I just am not ready to give him the RDE position cause he says he's ready.
His talent is/was undeniable, his head - not so much.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From what I heard about the CBA, those with prior suspensions are not exempt. And can still be subject to testing ?
Which means, although they may reinstate him, it's not clear sailing yet.
And yes, it's just weed and would far rather have smoking that then painkillers etc.
I just am not ready to give him the RDE position cause he says he's ready.
His talent is/was undeniable, his head - not so much.

can you provide a link to that? Because that’s the opposite of what I’ve been hearing. But again his head is not a problem if the weed suspension isn’t looming over him. I think some forget that he played the whole 2018 season and was a damn good player

Knotamus

Reaction score
You said it all when you admitted we'll still take a hit. That directly answered the question that was posted. The other things that you mentioned weren't directly related to the loss that Fred's retirement incurred but merely listed other measures to recoupe the damage that his loss caused.

:huh:

I’m not arguing here, but the cap hit doesn’t exactly haunt us. I mean if this ‘haunts’ us.. then we can say the same thing about any player that’s injured, suspended, or retires. Frederick is a big loss, of course. Yet, unlike most on this board I’m looking at it through a different lens.

Optimistically, Dallas actually gains cap space this year because they can spread it out over two years..Which for a team that has a ton of holes to fill, this can be a good thing.. that’s all I’m saying. And I stated the numbers for those that don’t know.

please don’t be upset bc I have a different opinion

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I’m not arguing here, but the cap hit doesn’t exactly haunt us. I mean if this ‘haunts’ us.. then we can say the same thing about any player that’s injured, suspended, or retires. Frederick is a big loss, of course. Yet, unlike most on this board I’m looking at it through a different lens.

Optimistically, Dallas actually gains cap space this year because they can spread it out over two years..Which for a team that has a ton of holes to fill, this can be a good thing.. that’s all I’m saying. And I stated the numbers for those that don’t know.

No problem -- I'm not upset in the least but just basically unsure whether you were disputing my point or not. I do agree that Fred's loss can be overcome, however. Nevertheless, the cap hit left us with financial loss to overcome, although, I'm certainly pleased that it wouldn't necessarily be harmful over an unduly long period of time. I agree that the fact that it can be overcome without lingering problems is certainly comforting. Point taken. ;)

Last edited:

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
can you provide a link to that? Because that’s the opposite of what I’ve been hearing. But again his head is not a problem if the weed suspension isn’t looming over him. I think some forget that he played the whole 2018 season and was a damn good player
No sorry I cant, believe it was reported on one of these threads or by one of the Twitter people - which I'm not. Just that it caught my attention because it specifically spoke to this very subject about players with a prior history of weed suspensions. And sited 2 players not just Gregory, and that they don't automatically get a clean slate.
He is a good player, loved him when he came out of Nebraska. And his whole spiel about giving the Cowboys everything and was gonna reward their trust in him blah, blah, blah. (Draft night).
My whole contention about him is not his reluctance on weed, its that I believe it is foolish to go into this year penciling him in as the RDE starter. Just can't imagine that's the plan. Bring him back into the fold by all means, put him in the rotation and if he proves he can play, and be counted on - then move forward with him. But just to have no other plan then Gregory /Crawford is a disaster waiting to happen.

Plankton

Reaction score

The only way Frederick's money gets split over two years is if they release him and designate him as a June 1st cut. If he is put on the reserve/retired list, which is more than likely what will happen, the cost rolls up into this year. By putting him on the reserve/retired list, if he decides to come back, the Cowboys retain his rights. If they release him, he's a free agent.

For both accounting and rights purposes, taking the hit this year makes the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.