Twitter: Cowboys close to signing Dontari Poe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not sure how many 'injury prone' conscious fans would agree with this signing. Poe had back issues and even surgery to repair a herniated disc. That sort of medical history is an automatic write-off for certain fans.

For others, they're giddy because it keeps the salary close to vet minimum. They'll still expect all-pro production though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know where you get this. Prior to last year (when he played 11 games and then tore a quad muscle), Poe played in 110 of a possible 112 games in his first 7 years.

Prior to getting hurt in 2019, he was PFF's #3 overall rated run defender. And he had 4 sacks in 11 games. At 6'3", 346 pounds.

He would be an outstanding addition.
Oh. I agree Poe would be an excellent signing for the defensive line.

However, there have been numerous postings over the years in which members have stated or inferred players with previous injury histories should be avoided. Logically, that line of thinking (for them) would also apply to Poe and his 2015 back surgery.

Reaction score
Thanks for this summary. Based on his 11 games last year, this sounds great. Why are the Panthers letting McCoy and Poe both walk?

New coaching staff. Hitting the reset button on defense. They let their entire defense go: CB James Bradberry, DL Vernon Butler, DE/OLB Bruce Irvin, DT Gerald McCoy, DT Dontari Poe. Only guy they re-signed was Tre Boston.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a write-off for a long term high money deal but for a low cost glorified camp body, no that's not a write off at all.

If anything it's low risk high reward
Again, I do not have an issue with the probable signing. It is just me reflecting on previous applied 'logic' for players with certain prior injuries.

RS12

Reaction score
The 4-3, a Landry creation, was designed for the four D Lineman to keep blockers off the LBs to clean up and make plays. Point being, LBs that are out of position and over run plays, dont make plays or stop the run.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And just as a reminder of this guy's strength and athleticism, here's his combine numbers:

6' 4"
346 lbs
32” reach
9 5/8” Hands

40 Yard Dash
4.98 Seconds!!!

Bench Press
44 Reps!!!!

Vertical Jump
29.5 INCHES

Broad Jump
105.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill
7.9 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle
4.56 Seconds

You had me at "346 lbs!"

JeV-q4.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For others, they're giddy because it keeps the salary close to vet minimum. They'll still expect all-pro production though.
Expectation may be misplaced but Poe's actual demonstrated level of play will determined if the expectation is deemed unfounded.

Reaction score
Oh. I agree Poe would be an excellent signing for the defensive line.

However, there have been numerous postings over the years in which members have stated or inferred players with previous injury histories should be avoided. Logically, that line of thinking (for them) would also apply to Poe and his 2015 back surgery.

Understood. But even the year he had offseason disk surgery, he played 15 games. And that was 5 years ago. He's still only 29. So I think physically, he should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.