Cowboys combine interviews so far

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
I prefer David Johnson from Univ. of Northern Iowa. He's opening a lot of eyes. Scouts raving about him from Senior Bowl. Mayock likes him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...radar-player-created-most-buzz-at-senior-bowl
  • David Johnson turned plenty of scouting heads during the practice week with an outstanding combination of vision and power. A panel of scouts also named Johnson as the Senior Bowl's top back during the practice week. He supported that decision in the game, rushing 10 times for 43 yards, including a 19-yard touchdown and a 16-yard reception. He needs to learn to run behind his pads better -- his upright style makes him too easy a target for defenders -- but no small-school player helped himself more in Mobile.

fishspill

Reaction score
I like a lot of these backs. Still think Gordon gets undersold on here though. He's got a lot of DeMarco about him, IMO.

ghst187

Reaction score
I like Malcolm Brown...tough, powerful north/south runner with adequate speed. He is a good blocker. Always seems to get positive yds. Very good ball control. Very little wear on the tread, thanks to sharing carries at Texas. Can probably be had in the 5th round (an absolute steele of a pick).

agree, probably even later than 5th round. There's also Hilliard from LSU who is a big bruiser that could be an interesting 7th RDer or UDFA

CCBoy

Reaction score
CBS RankNamePOSCollegeSource
9Dante Fowler*DEFloridaJon Machota
14T.J. ClemmingsOTPittsburghJeff Cavanaugh
15Vic BeasleyDEClemsonJon Machota
17Bud Dupree*DEKentuckyJon Machota
20Malcom BrownDTTexasCharean Williams
21Melvin GordonRBWisconsinWalter Football
34Owamagbe Odighizuwa*DEUCLAJon Machota
47Ameer AbdullahRBNebraskaDMN
52Jay AjayiRBBoise StateDMN
128Cameron Artis-PayneRBAuburnDMN
179Karlos WilliamsRBFlorida StateDMN
216Blake SimsQBAlabamaJon Machota
237Connor HallidayQBWashington StateCBSSports
* has not yet met with the Cowboys but interview scheduled
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...nterview-list-includes-vic-beasley-bud-dupree

ccb04

Reaction score
While it can be a legitimate problem...the 'runs too high' thing can also be a bit overblown at times. It was a criticism of Murray coming out.

Weaknesses
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

Some of the other criticisms of Murray turned out to be inaccurate...while some of the listed strengths (pass pro, etc.), were accurate.

I like several of the backs in a seemingly very solid class...with Tevin Coleman being among my favorites if selecting one earlier (if unable to retain Murray).

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
While it can be a legitimate problem...the 'runs too high' thing can also be a bit overblown at times. It was a criticism of Murray coming out.

Weaknesses
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

Some of the other criticisms of Murray turned out to be inaccurate...while some of the listed strengths (pass pro, etc.), were accurate.

I like several of the backs in a seemingly very solid class...with Tevin Coleman being among my favorites if selecting one earlier (if unable to retain Murray).

I agree the run too high thing was a big knock on Murray. I like Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi, and Coleman - just would rather we spend the first two picks on defense. I think David Johnson in the 3rd round would be a great pick up.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
apparently gurley is on our list of interviewees per todd archer
met with Vic beasley last night per machota

RS12

Reaction score
UCLA defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa is a projected late first-round pick that also has an interview scheduled with the Cowboys.

“Talked to them a lot at the Senior Bowl,” Odighizuwa said.

Although he’s projected to be more of a 3-4 outside linebacker at the pro level, Clemson defensive end Vic Beasley has already met with the Cowboys this week. “I really like them,” he said.

Eddie Goldman is regarded as one of the top defensive tackles in this draft class and a likely first round pick. However, he is a Commanders fan. Would he have a problem playingfor the rival Cowboys?

“I don’t really care,” Goldman said. “I’ll put that rivalry aside and do what I have to do.”

Asked for the NFL player he compares to most, Goldman said Jay Ratliff — when Ratliff played in Dallas. The former Cowboy and current Chicago Bear is also the reason Goldman wore No. 90 at Florida State.

Why Ratliff?

“He’s hard-nosed,” Goldman said. “He’s so physical. I believe one time he was mic’d up in a game and one thing he kept saying is ‘They aren’t going to win the physical part of the game.’ That’s a thing I try to pride myself on, is being physical.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...pree-odighizuwa-planning-to-do-the-same.html/

RS12

Reaction score
21Melvin Gordon*RBWisconsinESPN Dallas
22Todd Gurley*RBGeorgiaESPN Dallas
36Eli Harold*OLBVirginiaJeff Cavanaugh
55Mario Edwards Jr.DEFlorida stateJon Machota
72Chris HackettFSTCUCharean Williams

manster4ever

Reaction score
Anybody else think Abdullah is perfect for what we do here? Everyone keeps talking about the top two backs at 27 or duke, or ajayi later. Im glad to know the cowboys at least want to know more.

With all due respect, I absolutely do not think he's a good fit. Great kid, and a GOOD football player but not in our system. He's small and ran a 4.6 today. I like the bigger, more physical RB's and there are a ton of them in the draft.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Yeah I dig Brown too. This draft is loaded at RB and I'd be real upset if Dallas takes one in the first couple of rounds. I'm a big fan of Yeldon/Alabama, Langford/Michigan State, Brown/Louisville, and Brown/Texas. All these guys could be had in round 3+ and could perform well behind the Cowboys O-Line.

You know it.....especially Langford of MSU. He ran behind a college version of our Oline. Maulers one and all. That said, he's fast (4.43 forty today) and surprisingly physical for 209 lbs. He could be had in the 4th or 5th round...steal.

manster4ever

Reaction score
I like a lot of these backs. Still think Gordon gets undersold on here though. He's got a lot of DeMarco about him, IMO.

Yes, yes and YES. Saw him alot at UW and he's the real deal. No questions except pass pro and that's because he didn't have to do it too much. I think he'll be gone but if not....I think we have to.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
21Melvin Gordon*RBWisconsinESPN Dallas
22Todd Gurley*RBGeorgiaESPN Dallas
36Eli Harold*OLBVirginiaJeff Cavanaugh
55Mario Edwards Jr.DEFlorida stateJon Machota
72Chris HackettFSTCUCharean Williams

So, I hope the Blake Sims interview was just Garrett doing Saban a solid.

rkell87

Reaction score
With all due respect, I absolutely do not think he's a good fit. Great kid, and a GOOD football player but not in our system. He's small and ran a 4.6 today. I like the bigger, more physical RB's and there are a ton of them in the draft.

I see a guy who fits every non football criteria that the Cowboys love and a guy that can read a block and feel where the the hole will be, one cut and gets up field. Looks plenty fast on the field, can be had possibly with a non premium pick, and the type of person he is tells me he will be able to handle protection assignments sooner than you think.