Cowboys could give up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up for Patrick Peterson

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Looked up the draft value chart, and when it comes to trading up for Patrick Peterson, here's what it would take if PP fell to the #6 overall spot (Cleveland)

#9 overall (DAL) is worth 1,350 points

to trade to #6 overall, it would take, obviously, our 1st rounder (1,350 points) a 3rd rounder (225 points) and a 4th rounder (84 points) to get to 1,659 points, where the #6 overall spot is worth 1,650 points.

So it would take our 3rd and 4th rounder to move from 9 to 6, and if PP falls that far, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Another question is, what are Cleveland's needs? They certainly need a WR, and I have no doubt that Julio Jones would still be on the board at #9. Cincinnati will either take a QB or WR, so if AJ Green is off the board, CLE could trade down, stock pile a couple picks and still get the 2nd best WR in the draft, while the Cowboys get their man in Patrick Peterson.

Would you pull the trigger? I would.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Going by that the 9th pick(1350) and our 3rd(225) is just 75 points away from the 6th pick(1650)

The deal would probably have to be based around that. With the Cowboys possibly giving up a 2012 mid round pick.

Or our 1st, 3rd, and 5th for their 1st and 6th

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
No. There is talent to be had in the first, and we have holes in the team to fill. Don't trade away the house for one player.

I would on the other hand, trade my 2nd, 4th, and 5th to move back into the 1st round. (which could produce around the 31st pick in the draft)

If Peterson wasn't available, we could land Tyron Smith at #9, and maybe Pouncy around #31.

Granted this doesn't help us on the DL, but it would make major difference on our aging OL.

(Free, Kosier, Gurode, Pouncy, Smith) Eject Colombo and make BIGG a backup or cut him for cash if that is possible.

You could trade back in the first (NE) and do the 2nd round trade up and have 3 picks in the first round grabbing OL and DL help.

visionary

Reaction score
absolutely, positively not

the cowboys would have to be a little soft in the head to even give up a third and would have to be completely crazy to give up a 3 and 4.

rule of thumb: dont trade up in the top 10 unless you have a great need for franchise QB, franchise LT, or OLB/DE and you really feel that the person up there is "the one"

but then we are talking about JJ so it is quite possible that we might do it.

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
PP won't be available at 6. He is top 3 and possibly 1 depending on a rookie wage scale.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Still happy we won the Philly game? The damage lingers.

garyv

Reaction score
NO Thanks I'll stay at #9 take the best Player and keep my other Picks.

JBS

Reaction score
Bwareinrings94;3869338 said:
PP won't be available at 6. He is top 3 and possibly 1 depending on a rookie wage scale.

I'll make any wager you want Peterson doesn't go top 3

Reaction score
I'm still happy we won that game, because it means our guys didn't lay down for the sake of a draft pick. Every guy picked in the top 5 this year might be a colossal bust for all we know, and there is no reason we can't draft an impact player at 9 anyway.

Give me a team that fights hard and a worse draft pick every day.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
bbgun;3869345 said:
Still happy we won the Philly game? The damage lingers.

So true! Philly did almost everything they could do to lose and almost won. So, that "great" victory may only cost a 3rd and a 4th. Brilliant!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dallas had to give up a 3rd in order to get Peterson I would have no problem with it. Then again I think he may be the top prospect in the draft. I have posted in other threads that I would like to see the Cowboys move back in the draft to take a top OL player and get an extra pick but I'm not going to be upset should we end up with a player that I feel could be the best in the draft.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I would love to have peterson if all its going to cost is swap of 1st and this years 5th and next years 3rd. But I don't see Peterson falling to 6 and if so I wouldn't think they would pass on him. They could have Haden and peterson and t.j. ward in that secondary and would be great for years.

I do not want to stay at 9. Either trade up for PAeterson but don't give up the entire draft to do it. OR trade back a few times and get a mid-late 1st round pick and then package a few picks to move into the late 1st.

you can get Carmi and Harris by doing that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3869451 said:
I would love to have peterson if all its going to cost is swap of 1st and this years 5th and next years 3rd. But I don't see Peterson falling to 6 and if so I wouldn't think they would pass on him. They could have Haden and peterson and t.j. ward in that secondary and would be great for years.

I do not want to stay at 9. Either trade up for PAeterson but don't give up the entire draft to do it. OR trade back a few times and get a mid-late 1st round pick and then package a few picks to move into the late 1st.

you can get Carmi and Harris by doing that.

I think the 6 spot is the entire key I do not see the Cowboys making any move on Peterson unless it is 6th spot or higher. Like you I doubt he will be there but then you never know on draft day what may happen. I think the Cowboys will be prepared for all possibilities.

TheSport78

Reaction score
The thing that concerns me, is that Dallas has been so poor at drafting players in the middle rounds, that a 3rd and 4th round pick would be worth it to trade up and select a SURE THING in Patrick Peterson. PP would be the leader of our defense for a decade. We're going to pass on a player like PP because we may draft a James Marten or a Skylar Green?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheSport78;3869465 said:
The thing that concerns me, is that Dallas has been so poor at drafting players in the middle rounds, that a 3rd and 4th round pick would be worth it to trade up and select a SURE THING in Patrick Peterson. PP would be the leader of our defense for a decade. We're going to pass on a player like PP because we may draft a James Marten or a Skylar Green?

I understand some concerns that other have but I don't look at the draft as a 1 year fix. If anything I see FA more of the short term fix for team. I would not give up my 2nd rd pick to move up but I would give serious consideration to give up a 3rd this season

TheSport78

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3869487 said:
I understand some concerns that other have but I don't look at the draft as a 1 year fix. If anything I see FA more of the short term fix for team. I would not give up my 2nd rd pick to move up but I would give serious consideration to give up a 3rd this season

I'm with you, man. I agree. Everybody ratted on the Bears for trading away their draft picks for players like Jay Cutler. Heck, the Bears didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick, but signed key free agents like Julius Peppers and they were in the NFC Championship.

I think it's the OL with the Cowboys. They've been so poor lately, with the exception of Free, with drafting OL in the entire draft. You're right with the draft being a crapshoot, but PP is the closest to a sure thing you're going to get in the draft and if it's only going to take a 3rd and a 4th (or a 3rd in 2012), I'm all over that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bbgun;3869345 said:
Still happy we won the Philly game?

Beating a team of backups in a meaningless game was definitely worth a 3rd and a 6th round pick, right?