Cowboys could give up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up for Patrick Peterson

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869508 said:
Beating a team of backups in a meaningless game was definitely worth a 3rd and a 6th round pick, right?

:worthy2:

Bravo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If all it took was fans pulling for their team to win games we would not have been 6-10 on the season.

Yeah I was happy for McGee that he got a win under his belt. I have yet to watch a Cowboys game where I was pulling for the other team.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3869352 said:
I'm still happy we won that game, because it means our guys didn't lay down for the sake of a draft pick. Every guy picked in the top 5 this year might be a colossal bust for all we know, and there is no reason we can't draft an impact player at 9 anyway.

Give me a team that fights hard and a worse draft pick every day.

Totally agree. Play that scenario in your mind for a second, and tell me how you would feel:

Jerry: Hey Jason, great work so far turning the team around. They are really playing hard now.

Garrett: Thanks, Jerry. This is the fight that we've been looking for for a long.....

Jerry: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jason. I got what you are trying to say. But man, umm, if we lose this week, we get a higher pick. Have you thought about that?

Garrett: Um, no, not really. I'm trying to build a team of winners, not losers. Remember?

Jerry: Oh yeah, I love winning. But we can get a better pick and make all the fans happy.

Garrett: I thought fans only care about winning....

Jerry: Not those Madden players....they want wins AND high draft picks.

Garrett to team: Hey guys, I know you have played hard since the change, and I really appreciate that. But apparently there is a large number of armchair GMs out there that want us to get a high draft pick, because apparently top 10 isn't high enough. So let's go out there today and lose one for the fans!!

*crickets* *crickets*

Give me the winning team with a lower pick every day. The draft isn't just the top five picks.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think anyone said management should've thrown the game. And like Doomsday said, what we fans want has no impact on what happens.

The question is what is more valuable, that game or a 3rd round pick and more?

Tons of people claimed that win was worth whatever it cost. Frankly, I think -- no, I know -- that tons were rooting for it for Garrett's sake, so they could say all offseason he had a winning record and so he could get the permanent job. But we learned later that Jerry had already made up his mind anyway.

So in the end, that game accomplished nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869544 said:
I don't think anyone said management should've thrown the game. And like Doomsday said, what we fans want has no impact on what happens.

Tons of people claimed that win was worth whatever it cost. Frankly, I think -- no, I know -- that tons were rooting for it for Garrett's sake, so they could say all offseason he had a winning record and so he could get the permanent job. But we learned later that Jerry had already made up his mind anyway.

It accomplished a win. I get what your saying but I'm never going to feel bad over a win. I think the win helps McGee confidence, he still has a ton of work but to have 1 starts and have 1 wins under your belt means something at least to him.

johnnyd

Reaction score
i would absolutley do it . The guy is going to be a star we all know it . Everyone always assumes that you are going to hit on every pick it doesnt work that way, Now could PP be a bust? sure but i would wager that he will not be as i know many of you would as well.

Give me PP and go O-line in round 2 or we could get lucky and there are still are some qb's out there like a mallet or ponder and teams may desperate to jump the skins or viks right behind us, We should be able to recoup that 4 at the very least and possible more.

Im not going to get into round 1 trade downs because that is NOT what the OP asked when he started this thread nor did he ask for a poll on how everyone feels about winning that last game vs philly :D

Give me peterson in round 1 and in r 2 either Sherrod or wisnewski type my draft is already made. 2 studs starters. we could then grab some project type guy's late and in UFDA and as far a saftey is concerned we are signing huff so there. lol

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
johnnyd;3869556 said:
i would absolutley do it . The guy is going to be a star we all know it . Everyone always assumes that you are going to hit on every pick it doesnt work that way, Now could PP be a bust? sure but i would wager that he will not be as i know many of you would as well.

Give me PP and go O-line in round 2 or we could get lucky and there are still are some qb's out there like a mallet or ponder and teams may desperate to jump the skins or viks right behind us, We should be able to recoup that 4 at the very least and possible more.

Im not going to get into round 1 trade downs because that is NOT what the OP asked when he started this thread nor did he ask for a poll on how everyone feels about winning that last game vs philly :D

Give me peterson in round 1 and in r 2 either Sherrod or wisnewski type my draft is already made. 2 studs starters. we could then grab some project type guy's late and in UFDA and as far a saftey is concerned we are signing huff so there. lol

Great point. There will be a bunch of teams looking for a QB in that early 2nd round. We could easily re-coup that 3rd and 4th rounder if we traded down to the bottom of the 2nd round.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3869548 said:
It accomplished a win. I get what your saying but I'm never going to feel bad over a win. I think the win helps McGee confidence, he still has a ton of work but to have 1 starts and have 1 wins under your belt means something at least to him.

Yeah, but he played terrible and I'm sure he knows it.

Like I said at the time, I was hoping for a win going into that game and not even caring about the draft. But when Philly's complete team of scrubs played us even for three and a half quarters, I stopped caring so much if we won because it was so meaningless to the future of both teams.

Personally, I hope Peterson goes so early that this isn't even an option. Hopefully we stay put and draft a great player at 9 or even trade back a little and pick up a pick instead of giving one (or two) away.

TheSport said:
Great point. There will be a bunch of teams looking for a QB in that early 2nd round. We could easily re-coup that 3rd and 4th rounder if we traded down to the bottom of the 2nd round.

This "So what if we burn some picks to move up, we'll just trade back later and recoup them" was the genesis of that wonderful 2009 draft.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869568 said:
This "So what if we burn some picks to move up, we'll just trade back later and recoup them" was the genesis of that wonderful 2009 draft.

It's a lot different when you don't have a 1st round pick. That 09' draft was a failure to begin with (Roy Williams trade).

Better yet, if we could give our 3rd this year, and our 3rd rounder in 2012, that would essentially have the same value, it's just whether or not Cleveland would go for that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869568 said:
Yeah, but he played terrible and I'm sure he knows it.

Like I said at the time, I was hoping for a win going into that game and not even caring about the draft. But when Philly's complete team of scrubs played us even for three and a half quarters, I stopped caring so much if we won because it was so meaningless to the future of both teams.

Personally, I hope Peterson goes so early that this isn't even an option. Hopefully we stay put and draft a great player at 9 or even trade back a little and pick up a pick instead of giving one (or two) away.

True he was only 11 of 27 1 TD no ints. Not great

As for Peterson as I said I'm not going to be upset if we get him, I think he is the top prospect in the draft and I'm not going to feel bad about it if we make a move to get him. I'm not looking to fix the team with 1 draft but if I can add a player of his caliber who will be around for a good while I'm not going to be upset with it.

I also said within reason, I would not give up my 2nd but a 3rd and a 4th next year then yes I would.

If Dallas chooses to move back get a OL player and an additional pick I'm not going to be upset with that and yes if we stay at 9 pick up a top DL and get an OL player in the 2nd will not cry about that.

One thing I will not do is close my mind to options. Like so many here who if the Cowboys do not do what they want will throw a hissy.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3869586 said:
True he was only 11 of 27 1 TD no ints. Not great

As for Peterson as I said I'm not going to be upset if we get him, I think he is the top prospect in the draft and I'm not going to feel bad about it if we make a move to get him. I'm not looking to fix the team with 1 draft but if I can add a player of his caliber who will be around for a good while I'm not going to be upset with it.

I also said within reason, I would not give up my 2nd but a 3rd and a 4th next year then yes I would.

If Dallas chooses to move back get a OL player and an additional pick I'm not going to be upset with that and yes if we stay at 9 pick up a top DL and get an OL player in the 2nd will not cry about that.

One thing I will not do is close my mind to options. Like so many here who if the Cowboys do not do what they want will throw a hissy.

very well said . you get a chance to grab a stud like peterson you do it . the guy is this years dez bryant a beast a multi purpose threat that will be in the discussion for best cb for the next decade.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869544 said:

So no one was saying BEFORE the game that we should lose?? Come on, there were so many fans screaming for us to lose that game so we could get a higher pick. My post was how would you expect the team to go into the game and lose. If they played hard, and lost, fine. But some fans were wanting them to mail it in.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
This entire notion hinges on one big assumption: Peterson drops to #6

I simply don't think six teams will bypass him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's too much to give up up, imo. You can find some good and sometimes great players in Rd 3 and 4. I'd prefer the 3 picks vs the slight move up in Rd 1. Then again, it would be nice to have PP.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DFWJC;3869683 said:
That's too much to give up up, imo. You can find some good and sometimes great players in Rd 3 and 4. I'd prefer the 3 picks vs the slight move up in Rd 1. Then again, it would be nice to have PP.

I'm just looking at all option.

I recall when Dallas traded 4 picks to move up to the 2nd overall when we landed Dorsett so in my view if you have a chance to get a special player you do it. Tex wanted TD and was willing to do it and there was no regret.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jswalker1981;3869643 said:
So no one was saying BEFORE the game that we should lose?? Come on, there were so many fans screaming for us to lose that game so we could get a higher pick. My post was how would you expect the team to go into the game and lose. If they played hard, and lost, fine. But some fans were wanting them to mail it in.

I still say there's a difference in saying we're better off with a loss and saying we should throw the game. I suspect those "we should lose" remarks were more the former than the latter.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I don't think there's anyone in this draft I would trade multiple picks to go up and get. Its a weak draft to me. Stay at #9 and take the guy on your board you have rated the highest.

Sure Peterson looks like a talent, I wouldn't call him can't miss. That bowl game he played didn't do much for me.

johnnyd

Reaction score
parcells316;3869721 said:
I don't think there's anyone in this draft I would trade multiple picks to go up and get. Its a weak draft to me. Stay at #9 and take the guy on your board you have rated the highest.

Sure Peterson looks like a talent, I wouldn't call him can't miss. That bowl game he played didn't do much for me.

I totally understand this sentiment. And maybe it's all the mocks that have us picking Prince at 9 that has me all riled up but if we do then i already hate the pick.

There has a been a ton of mocks done by members of this board and mostly people are just dreaming up scenarios that we get PP or we trade down and get extra picks and grab o-line in round 1 . Very few have us sit tight and grab Prince and those who do get abused. I don't want him at 9 and most people here dont want him either.

You can get nice players in round 3 and 4 i get it but to me the difference between PP and Prince is worth it.