Cowboys could look into 'dynamic duo'

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
dbair1967;1332559 said:
how do you know Singletary is an up and coming coach? his current boss is reluctant to even make him a defensive coordinator

he might be a great coach one day...but right now he is a huge unknown

David

cmon his coach has one of the games premier defensive coordinator why mess with a good thing?

1000th woot!

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Pottsville Maroons;1332588 said:
Here's a better idea: A coaching trifecta

Rex Ryan as HC
Singletary as DC (they worked together in BAL)
Garret as OC
I would imagine w/ the talent and potential this defense has, despite their misuse and underachieving in 06, a guy would be excited about coming into Dallas to work with those guys.

On offense...again, talent and potential. This team really can be molded by whoever comes in to be what THEY want it to be. It doesn't have to be Bill's leftovers...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Artie Lange;1332693 said:
Let him crawl before he can walk.
That's what fans said about the Eagles hiring Andy Reid from QB Coach to HC instead of him being an OC.

Ready is ready.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
rcaldw;1332700 said:
Wade Phillips HC + Jason Garrett OC = Jerry Jones HC, Wade Phillips DC, Jason Garrett OC.

That is the reality of it.

That will make the Anti-Bledsoe crowd happy, remember a lot of them wanted Jones to step in and tell Parcells to start Romo and lift Bledsoe. They want Jones to be the HC.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1332698 said:
Isn't Garrett an Ivy League grad?

I remember when he started for us those few games in 1998 and the 1994 game on US Thanksgiving, his wife told him, Jason your best attribute is the long ball. She was right, couldn't do much else but man he could chuck it down the field with good results
Yes, he is. Troy Aikman once compared him to a Coach while he was his backup. He's brilliant. I believe the son of a Coach too.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1332712 said:
Yes, he is. Troy Aikman once compared him to a Coach while he was his backup. He's brilliant. I believe the son of a Coach too.

his dad is a longtime scout...might have been a coach before then, cant recall

David

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1332710 said:
That's what fans said about the Eagles hiring Andy Reid from QB Coach to HC instead of him being an OC.

Ready is ready.

Good point.
I still think he's the exception,not the norm.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw;1332700 said:
Wade Phillips HC + Jason Garrett OC = Jerry Jones HC, Wade Phillips DC, Jason Garrett OC.

That is the reality of it.

I really dont think thats the way it would be

but in all honesty, other than a few teams what you could say above could apply for virtually every team in the NFL in regards to who their owner or GM is

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1332726 said:
Pedigree. I'm sold.

here ya go...

Jim Garrett
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
James W. (Jim) Garrett was a football player, coach, and scout. He starred as a fullback and linebacker for Rutherford High School (NJ) (1944-48) and as a running back in college at Utah State University. He had a short-lived pro career as a fullback with the Philadelphia Eagles (1954) and New York Giants (1956). He began coaching at the Coast Guard Academy and Lehigh University and found success as head coach at Susquehanna University (1960-65), leading them to a 39-11-1 record which included undefeated seasons in 1961 and 1962. He spent most of the next forty years in the NFL as an assistant coach with the New York Giants (1970-73), New Orleans Saints (1976-77), and Cleveland Browns (running backs 1978-84), as well as head coach of the Houston Texans of the fledgling WFL (1974). His last coaching job as head coach of Columbia University in 1985 was fraught with controversy as the team went 0-10 and accusations of verbal and physical abuse surfaced.[1]. After the season, his sons John, Jason and Judd transferred to Princeton University.[2] From 1987-2003, and also in 1969, he served as a scout for the Dallas Cowboys.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
abersonc;1332548 said:
Screw that.

You want a duo? Hire Singletary and Garrett. Get an up and coming coach. Not a great coordinator who is a HC retread.

I like the way you are thinking.......:starspin

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1332548 said:
Screw that.

You want a duo? Hire Singletary and Garrett. Get an up and coming coach. Not a great coordinator who is a HC retread.

yeah...good thing the Pats didnt take your advice a few yrs back huh?

David

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
An NFL retread just thankful to have another chance and a guy completely unworthy of the job who only gets it because of his ties to the "glory days". Sounds like a textbook Jerry tandem.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
why is Jason Garrett so attractive as a coach? is it because he was a real smart backup QB? ok, that's overdoing it, but really, why is everyone hot and heavy for him?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1332792 said:
why is Jason Garrett so attractive as a coach? is it because he was a real smart backup QB? ok, that's overdoing it, but really, why is everyone hot and heavy for him?
:bang2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1332798 said:
I'm asking for a lesson on Garrett, not a snide emoticon ;)

btw, Drew Bledsoe's dad is a coach too, why don't we just hire Bledsoe to coach the O?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1332799 said:
I'm asking for a lesson on Garrett, not a snide emoticon ;)

btw, Drew Bledsoe's dad is a coach too, why don't we just hire Bledsoe to coach the O?
If you've read Garrett's name then you've obviously skipped over the explanations about him. Most of them, not just his dad being a coach, have been offered. It's amazing you could miss some of them.

Adam Shefter in the original post even makes mention of his name as an exciting one in league circles.

Google.com

Personally, I liked the snide emoticon response.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;1332670 said:
Give me a trio.

HC...either Singletary or Rivera

DC..Greg Manusky, LB coach from San Diego.

OC...Jason Garrett, QB Coach from Miami.

Instant passion.

I like it, but no Rivera. Singletary or Rex Ryan for HC. Need to stick with a 3-4 guy or someone like Ryan who changes defenses depending upon his personnel.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Pottsville Maroons;1332588 said:
Here's a better idea: A coaching trifecta

Rex Ryan as HC
Singletary as DC (they worked together in BAL)
Garret as OC

That's way more attractive to me- but book it- it's the Wade & Jason era in Dallas.

hank2k

Reaction score
dbair1967;1332559 said:
how do you know Singletary is an up and coming coach? his current boss is reluctant to even make him a defensive coordinator

he might be a great coach one day...but right now he is a huge unknown

David

I agree. Let these guys prove themselves as coordinators first. We dont want
the Dallas Cowboys to be a training ground for unproven playcallers.