Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
I think him and Pollard brought a lot of the same element to the running game. Bringing bruisers and bigger backs leaves Deuce as the shifty change of pace back now with a full offseason to his body!

_sturt_

Reaction score
Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB
I do. I think he'll get a lot of the preseason carries, and with that, the chance to establish himself as one of the options. They'll be willing to go with three options at RB, imo, if indeed Deuce can force himself into that mix.

Proof

Reaction score
I think you always have to follow the money. We're paying Dowdle to be a backup. What we're paying Elliott is what this front office thinks a starting RB is worth.
yeah i understand your point, he was just already on the roster at that price and dallas desperately needed another body / name. so personally i don’t make too much of it even if i also expect zeke to be defacto number 1

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?

If they are counting on Deuce, it shows how incapable this team is at determining talent. Deuce is okay but not starter material. He lacks breakaway speed and is easily tackled. This is one of those things where Jerry is meddling, thinking he is smarter than the fans. But he is nothing more than an old man who is dumb as a rock.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I still believe. His highlights are as good or better than anyone in this draft class. The issue is he looked really small when he got playing time last year. If he get met at or behind the line, it is pretty much a wasted play. But give him a crease and he is as good as almost anyone in the league in open space. Pass blocking is also going to be a real weakness. I hope he gets a chance though. On the other hand, he needs to earn a roster spot as well.
Imo those are too many weaknesses for a leading or even backup RB. I mean how many times will he get an open path? I mean good RBs make yards after contact (s). How will he do that?

Now I'm not saying he can't, Imo we haven't seen enough last year to make that decision yet. But IF those are his weaknesses, I wouldn't even keep him on the roster.

So let's hope he's worked on that and actually can get through traffic.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yeah i understand your point, he was just already on the roster at that price and dallas desperately needed another body / name. so personally i don’t make too much of it even if i also expect zeke to be defacto number 1
Fair enough. I also expect him to be No. 1 because Jerry Jones pretty much named him the starter.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Deuce will be lucky to make the team IMO........

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
we saw him play behind the b and c team line when teams were keyed in on the run. i don’t have a ton of faith in him, but he is talented and the line is vastly improved. i think there’s going to be some wrinkles in the playbook for him and hunter
no, we saw him during the season. if our b and c players were in at the end of games, so were the opponents.

he is talented college player which may not translate to NFL. who cares? we are talking about a 3rd/4th string RB. he is not a difference maker.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm dead serious. He only got a handful of carries in a poor blocking scheme and horrible play calling when he was in there. He was given no chance to succeed. NONE. There was no scheme for him like Big Mike said there would be. They put him in obvious run plays and consistently got hit at the LOS. It was ridiculous the situation they put him in. It was extremely disappointing the lack of plan the Cowboys had for him. It's the HC's job to put players in a position to be their best and he screwed the pooch with Deuce.

Watch some his games at K-St and see how he is to properly be used. Had the Cowboys done that with Deuce last year everything would have been different.
sorry, you are arguing about a 3rd, 4th string RB, who can't carry the load and is only good for some gimmikie plays.....why are we even worried about Deuce!!!! who cares? what's the point. he is not the difference between making a playoff run or not. if he is starter and playing major minutes in playoffs, its probably because the other 3 RBs got injured.

Reaction score
I still believe in Deuce. I don’t think he got much of an opportunity last year.

Half the time when he carried the ball last year, tacklers were instantly in the backfield. He was being met before the LOS.

Deuce needs a hole to run through that allows him to get up to speed, and then he can break guys ankles. His side to side ability in the open field is where he shines.
That's really it, it's difficult to assess backs (and the QB for that matter) when your OL isn't doing its job. Give those guys a hole and seal the edge so they can at least get beyond the LOS before getting dragged down. Vaughn never had a chance. That said, not having a punishing RB on this team last year was just plain stupid. If given a choice between the two I'll take the big back.

Proof

Reaction score
no, we saw him during the season. if our b and c players were in at the end of games, so were the opponents.

he is talented college player which may not translate to NFL. who cares? we are talking about a 3rd/4th string RB. he is not a difference maker.
you didn't say anything i didn't say. we saw him in less than ideal situations. the dynamics have changed, so there's room for improvement. as far as who cares? me. fans who want to see success lol.

Mark

Reaction score
I'm fine with the current squad of ball carriers, and a run-game-by-committee scheme. RBs have become all-but-fungible in today's League. If there is a real emphasis on run-blocking this season - with O-line personnel to execute - any of these guys can get through a hole & make a play.

We needed a LB a lot more than a "name" RB in the third-round.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm fine with the current squad of ball carriers, and a run-game-by-committee scheme. RBs have become all-but-fungible in today's League. If there is a real emphasis on run-blocking this season - with O-line personnel to execute - any of these guys can get through a hole & make a play.

We needed a LB a lot more than a "name" RB in the third-round.
"name" rb? lol. some of the best guys in the draft were available and who could probably feast here. "name" rb is picking up zeke.