Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

links18

Reaction score
Deuce Vaughn was a Jerry engineered publicity stunt last season. I doubt he even makes the team this year. Although, you never know with how sentimental Jerry is for some players.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Deuce is very intriguing. He definitely has juice.
He would be a great weapon on the screen and short passing game.

But he simply cannot pass block. It is cruel and unusual punishment to ask him to.
So the team has to define how to use him in a way that doesn't give play calls away and makes him the threat he is at the same time.
I could see him used in the old school slot back role. Motion him around but near the backfield. Have him leak into areas vacated by bliztzers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
MM doesnt like small fast rb's like duece, and he is not innovative enough to know how to use him.
MM liked the bigger power backs at GB.
So I doubt you see him much, as MM doesnt know how to use him.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
If they were counting on Duece would they have signed Zeke? Hopefully it is a true committee and everyone gets some touches.

My guess is it will be Rico and Zeke splitting time.

Top 2 RB's for NE last year had 1,261 yards.

Top 2 RB's for Dallas last year had 1,366 yards.

Rico 600 yards - fresh legs 4.0 yards per carry.
Zeke 600 yards - short yardage back 3.5 yards a carry.
yeah you might be onto something with the splitting carries

500 - 700 yards for each RB1/2 + thrown in some 200 - 400 yards for others and you will have a viable running game. Uncle Rico proved last year if there is a crease in the line he can get through it in a hurry + everyones forgetting about Davis (Makli -SP?) hes got some break away game. zeke can be our power pound the rock guy and thrown in mighty mouse or davis you might have something.

Mark

Reaction score
"name" rb? lol. some of the best guys in the draft were available and who could probably feast here. "name" rb is picking up zeke.
I'm fine with the current squad of ball carriers, and a run-game-by-committee scheme. RBs have become all-but-fungible in today's League. If there is a real emphasis on run-blocking this season - with O-line personnel to execute - any of these guys can get through a hole & make a play.

We needed a LB a lot more than a "name" RB in the third-round.

There are Amazon delivery-men who can "feast" on gaping holes created by a monster O-line. It's stupid to waste valuable draft capital on a RB in today's NFL. Not necessarily on board with the decision to create a roster spot for Zeke, but am okay with the decision to grab a LB (over a RB) in the third round.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Deuce is very intriguing. He definitely has juice.
He would be a great weapon on the screen and short passing game.

But he simply cannot pass block. It is cruel and unusual punishment to ask him to.
So the team has to define how to use him in a way that doesn't give play calls away and makes him the threat he is at the same time.
I could see him used in the old school slot back role. Motion him around but near the backfield. Have him leak into areas vacated by bliztzers.
Right. I think the role for him might be longer third downs where we could run a draw to him or screen or short pass and let him operate in space. But he also has to be able to pass block to play on third downs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
MM doesnt like small fast rb's like duece, and he is not innovative enough to know how to use him.
The scheme that McCarthy showed last year is definitely power-based (primarily between the tackles), so that definitely doesn't look like a good fit for Vaughn (just as it wasn't for Pollard last year).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Right. I think the role for him might be longer third downs where we could run a draw to him or screen or short pass and let him operate in space. But he also has to be able to pass block to play on third downs.
I'd see a role much different than that tbh.
I see him at a slot back with a bigger back like Zeke/Lueke in the game.
DV becomes the move player.
You can set up screens or counter runs based off that.
Lots of cool play action gadget stuff.
It takes a 3rd WR off the field but can offer some interesting things especially versus teams who use zone heavily.

DV is a marginal NFL player but how you make those kinds of players work to create mismatches is what offensive coaching is all about.
A LB blitzing has a major advantage over DV but DV in space with the ball versus a LB is a major mismatch in Dallas' favor about 75% of the time.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I think they keep him but I don’t think his role will be much different than last year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The scheme that McCarthy showed last year is definitely power-based (primarily between the tackles), so that definitely doesn't look like a good fit for Vaughn (just as it wasn't for Pollard last year).
Only if you are talking about him as a solo back.
DV is easily the quickest and most agile RB on this team. He's not as quick as CeeDee but there may only be CeeDee and 1/2 more guys who are as quick.
You can definitely use that skillset or you simply can't coach offense.

McCarthy actually wanted that quickness in the backfield thus he motioned CeeDee there a decent amount.

TP's issue was minus Zeke he had to block a lot more and all those collisions slow you down.
But CeeDee didn't get motioned there to block.

dupree89

Reaction score
I totally agree. I dont think that MM is overly bright....at least when it comes to creativity and innovation.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm fine with the current squad of ball carriers, and a run-game-by-committee scheme. RBs have become all-but-fungible in today's League. If there is a real emphasis on run-blocking this season - with O-line personnel to execute - any of these guys can get through a hole & make a play.

We needed a LB a lot more than a "name" RB in the third-round.

There are Amazon delivery-men who can "feast" on gaping holes created by a monster O-line. It's stupid to waste valuable draft capital on a RB in today's NFL. Not necessarily on board with the decision to create a roster spot for Zeke, but am okay with the decision to grab a LB (over a RB) in the third round.
we’ll see. i don’t particularly disagree with your logic, so much as the specific players

gimmesix

Reaction score
Only if you are talking about him as a solo back.
DV is easily the quickest and most agile RB on this team. He's not as quick as CeeDee but there may only be CeeDee and 1/2 more guys who are as quick.
You can definitely use that skillset or you simply can't coach offense.

McCarthy actually wanted that quickness in the backfield thus he motioned CeeDee there a decent amount.

TP's issue was minus Zeke he had to block a lot more and all those collisions slow you down.
But CeeDee didn't get motioned there to block.
I think we would be more likely to use Turpin for that than Vaughn because of his speed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they keep him but I don’t think his role will be much different than last year.
He didn't have a role last year. That is 100% of the problem. Big Mike said they had something for him. It never materialized.

Never had any plays designed for him. Never used properly in the very little playing time he got. Wasted year.