Twitter: Cowboys create cap room with Zeke's contract

John813

Reaction score
I don’t get it…they cleared 6 million effortlessly. I think y’all picked the wrong time to say they are in salary hell lol.

We can rag on Jerry and Stephen all we want, but it takes a lot of stupidity to get into cap hell these days.
Teams like NO and Philly were looking at huge red numbers this offseason and still made it work.

And those guys+ the others in the Cowboys FO aren't close to being that dumb to let it happen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There will be a little more dead money if they part ways after 2022.

"Cap hell" is a bit of an over reaction.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More kicking bad contract money down the road as usual by this dumb organization.

New Zeke contract with cap hit and dead money:

2021: $6.82M cap hit $36.9M dead money

2022: $18.2M cap hit $30M dead money

2023: $16.7M cap hit $11.8M dead money

2024: $14.3M cap hit $6M dead money

2025: $17.1M cap hit $1.7M dead money

2026: $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So Zeke not going anywhere for at least the next 3 seasons when he turns 29 years old.

I would definitely say the next two years. 2023 still gives the team an ‘out’.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But but but we have tons of cap space?????????:huh:

That is how you create the cap space which is why some us were not freaking out over contracts like Dak. How will we ever sign players? by restructuring contracts as all teams do. It is not a new concept, it is how NFL team deal with the cap and Cowboys are no different in that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ya know, everyone used to act like Jerry and Co were such geniuses for doing things like this, but they literally never convert it into any big time FA signings or anything. They just use it t give guys like Tyron Crawford and Jaylon Smith huge contracts instead.
And there's the kicker. Poor player evaluation due to not being a "football man" always ends up being THE factor. Ick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We can rag on Jerry and Stephen all we want, but it takes a lot of stupidity to get into cap hell these days.
Teams like NO and Philly were looking at huge red numbers this offseason and still made it work.

And those guys+ the others in the Cowboys FO aren't close to being that dumb to let it happen.
Yeah I’ve always felt this way but to see Eagles go from the worst cap situation to signing guys like Steven Nelson…..

kskboys

Reaction score
That is how you create the cap space which is why some us were not freaking out over contracts like Dak. How will we ever sign players? by restructuring contracts as all teams do. It is not a new concept, it is how NFL team deal with the cap and Cowboys are no different in that.
It's not what we pay, it's who we pay. And how much.

If the cap was really this small of a problem for us, we'd have sniffed a super bowl the last 25 years.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry has to make cap room for when signs Anthony Brown to a top 5 CB contract this offseason because he's one of his fav guys.

It's just Jerry Jones things.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
More kicking bad contract money down the road as usual by this dumb organization.

New Zeke contract with cap hit and dead money:

2021: $6.82M cap hit $36.9M dead money

2022: $18.2M cap hit $30M dead money

2023: $16.7M cap hit $11.8M dead money

2024: $14.3M cap hit $6M dead money

2025: $17.1M cap hit $1.7M dead money

2026: $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So Zeke not going anywhere for at least the next 3 seasons when he turns 29 years old.
Based on what you posted….2023 they can still get out of it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I never understood caving to his 2nd contract and don’t get why they restructure when not needed. The quicker he is off the team, the better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I never understood caving to his 2nd contract and don’t get why they restructure when not needed. The quicker he is off the team, the better.
That’s an insane view to have…..at the end of the day he’s still one of the better backs in the league despite the claims by some of our resident mouth breathers Pollard is better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there are contracts the Cowboys have done that I disagree with such as Jaylon on the other hand we have put together in my view a pretty damn good roster.

Yes. It’s hard to say that there’s an absolute one way or another. But it sure feels as though they get few bargains. And when they do - as with a guy like Prescott- they squander the opportunity anyway.

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap isn’t why we haven’t sniffed a SB though lol.
Yes and no. It's using the cap room on the wrong players. Look at the guys we gave hefty salaries to: Jaylon, Crawford, Carr, DLaw. Not top players. And then we keep paying WR's huge salaries, even though an analysis shows that super bowl teams generally don't. Cooper and Zeke are both overpaid a bit.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure hasn’t helped things.
It hasnt….but if we are being realistic….I can’t say anyone who’s hired Jason Garrett, Chan Gailey, Wade Phillips and Dave Campo as head coaches is serious about winning. That’s more criminal than what they’ve done with the cap. Never mind they had Sean Payton in house….

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That’s an insane view to have…..at the end of the day he’s still one of the better backs in the league despite the claims by some of our resident mouth breathers Pollard is better.

This ‘mouth breather’ prefers Pollard.