Twitter: Cowboys create cap room with Zeke's contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have waited a month or so to see if he looked better this season before doing this. The timing doesn't make sense. Make all the excuses you want for why, but he wasn't much more than average last year. I do fully expect him to bounce back, but why not wait to see it?

With this restructure it looks like Zeke will be here until after the 2024 season with $1.7M dead money in 2025.I doubt we pay him that 2025 or 2026 salary. Personally I liked the option (doesn't mean he had to do it) of cutting him after 2022. Now if we did that it's almost $12M in dead money. I guess we could still cut him after 2023 with reasonable dead money if no longer performing. Hopefully Zeke bounces back to what we all know he can be.

I don’t think they could restructure his contract once the season started.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They’re gonna do something 12m a year gets you a starter. That’s kind of scary though because see how the season starts off before you trade for someone. It might be a current player wants a new contract, or they’re just getting ready in case some other team cuts a good player due to cap reasons

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would have waited a month or so to see if he looked better this season before doing this. The timing doesn't make sense. Make all the excuses you want for why, but he wasn't much more than average last year. I do fully expect him to bounce back, but why not wait to see it?

With this restructure it looks like Zeke will be here until after the 2024 season with $1.7M dead money in 2025.I doubt we pay him that 2025 or 2026 salary. Personally I liked the option (doesn't mean he had to do it) of cutting him after 2022. Now if we did that it's almost $12M in dead money. I guess we could still cut him after 2023 with reasonable dead money if no longer performing. Hopefully Zeke bounces back to what we all know he can be.
You need to account for spreading dead money over two seasons and the effect of losing the base salary.

They will save over 10m on the 2023 cap by cutting him after 2022, which is already guaranteed anyway.

Yes, there is now 12m in total dead money, up from about 10m.

For 6.8m in cap space now in a season with a very low overall cap, a few extra dollars in 2024 dead money isn't a big deal. The cap will probably increase significantly by then, and if anyone knows league business, it's Jerry.

No worries. Our favorite running back is still on track to be elsewhere in 2023.

Loso86

Reaction score
That's what the Dak fans say any time someone brings up Dak's stupid contract.

Jerry wouldn't need this flexibility if he would grow the nads to tell these spoiled jackwagons 'no'.
Umm lol nevermind

MyFairLady

Reaction score
For better or for worse the Cowboys have fully adopted this policy. I really do not know if other teams use it to the extent that we do. I would guess that if you looked at other teams cap restructure charges you would see a lot for teams that have big money QBs. We use it for our high cost people all the time. If a base salary is guaranteed you can almost guarantee that it will get restructured. Zeke is due 12 million in base salary next year that I believe is guaranteed. We will almost certainly restructure it. He will be gone the next year and we will eat the dead money (almost 12 million).

Of course Jerry will probably pay him another 10 million in base salary because that is what Jerry does. Then we will have an old declining RB on the roster that counts for 17 million against the cap but sells a lot of jerseys. Go Cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dumb.

Pushing money into future years for a TB.

This franchise really never learns.

Sydla

Reaction score
For better or for worse the Cowboys have fully adopted this policy. I really do not know if other teams use it to the extent that we do. I would guess that if you looked at other teams cap restructure charges you would see a lot for teams that have big money QBs. We use it for our high cost people all the time. If a base salary is guaranteed you can almost guarantee that it will get restructured. Zeke is due 12 million in base salary next year that I believe is guaranteed. We will almost certainly restructure it. He will be gone the next year and we will eat the dead money (almost 12 million).

Of course Jerry will probably pay him another 10 million in base salary because that is what Jerry does. Then we will have an old declining RB on the roster that counts for 17 million against the cap but sells a lot of jerseys. Go Cowboys.

All teams do this. I doubt many teams would push cap hits for a running back though into future years. We are one of just a handful of franchises that still thinks paying big bucks for a TB is smart, especially after we saw the Rams and Cards get rid of their big contract TBs because they choked on those contracts.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every single team does it…..

Not every team does it with the TB position, a position that tends to see quicker drop off in production, higher rate of injuries, etc.

So sure, restructuring isn't necessarily dumb. Doing it with a high priced TB? Ehhhh.................

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I feel like the smart move is restructuring for a franchise QB. If you have a stud you try to win now. make his cap charge as low as possible and build a team around him and try to win now. Push all the cap money down the road. When the window closes you eat a trillion in dead money. Tear it down and start over.

Hardline

Reaction score
They created enough cap space to sign three third tier free agents.

NotForLong

Reaction score
It hasnt….but if we are being realistic….I can’t say anyone who’s hired Jason Garrett, Chan Gailey, Wade Phillips and Dave Campo as head coaches is serious about winning. That’s more criminal than what they’ve done with the cap. Never mind they had Sean Payton in house….
:hammer:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
anyone who says Pollard is better is nuts.what Pollard is though is better value in terms of production vs cost. You don't pay running backs like they paid Zeke. Period! That don't take anything away from him he's top 5 in the league and I don't blame him. I blame organization. As much as I don't like zeke jerry is the buffoon in this matter.
I don't disagree there. If anyone says they'd rather have Pollard and pay him as opposed to Zeke I can respect that. But anyone trying to convince me that Pollard is a better overall player than Zeke...that's an agenda.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's what the Dak fans say any time someone brings up Dak's stupid contract.

Jerry wouldn't need this flexibility if he would grow the nads to tell these spoiled jackwagons 'no'.
We can’t find a back up. So what’s your suggestion with . What should we have done with Prescott