Twitter: Cowboys create cap room with Zeke's contract

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
He's likely getting cut next year. The Cowboys are slated to be $25 million over the cap in 2022, and they can save $14M by cutting Cooper before June 1 next year, $18M if done as a post-June 1. His salary has an injury guarantee, and fully guarantees after the fifth day of the 2022 league year.

I don't think you can use a June 1 designation on someone who's salary guarantees before then. I mean, you can, but it's no different than cutting them outright at that point except you have to wait even longer for the savings.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
More kicking bad contract money down the road as usual by this dumb organization.

New Zeke contract with cap hit and dead money:

2021: $6.82M cap hit $36.9M dead money

2022: $18.2M cap hit $30M dead money

2023: $16.7M cap hit $11.8M dead money

2024: $14.3M cap hit $6M dead money

2025: $17.1M cap hit $1.7M dead money

2026: $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So Zeke not going anywhere for at least the next 3 seasons when he turns 29 years old.

So please explain to me, a dumb Jarhead, the meaning of "dead money" in this post. I am honestly asking, not trying to stir the pot or be a troll.

Jstopper

Reaction score
So please explain to me, a dumb Jarhead, the meaning of "dead money" in this post. I am honestly asking, not trying to stir the pot or be a troll.

Dead money is the amount of money that a player will still count on your cap even though the player isn’t on your team anymore. You never want to cut a player in a year where their dead money is higher than their actual cap hit. That would imply you lose the player and are paying them even more than you would if they were actually on the team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Does it materially change anything with Zeke?

Zeke's salary next year was already guaranteed, and unlike Jaylon, he's still worth having on the field. He wasn't going anywhere.

I think the story is more about why they're clearing cap space for this year than Zeke. Why?

Making cap room to drop Jaylon?
May have their eyes on a QB2.
What concerns me about Zeke's contract tweak is deferring money into an already loaded future payout schedule, Jerry's potential to do it again and Zeke's final year becoming a huge dead cap hit with no upside in parting ways.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have read repeatedly that the salary cap is no issue and it can be manipulated to sign any player that they want to sign.
Then we've done a horrific job at S, DT, and backup OLine.

conner01

Reaction score
Really? You don't think $12M in dead money significantly change the thought process on keeping a guy an additional year or not? Sounds like the decision has already been made with this restructure
It’s not 12 mil more than it would have been
Post June cut is 6 now

DanA

Reaction score
You can complain all you want about the dead money but really this is just COVID cap shuffling. The cap for 2021 and 2022 has been significantly reduced and we need to create room in the 2022 salary cap, this does that via carry over. It really doesn't matter if it's Zeke, Amari, or Lawrence and it has minimal impact on how long we keep him on the roster in future years. We can afford to absorb a bit of dead money if we feel the savings from base salary are beneficial.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Dead money is the amount of money that a player will still count on your cap even though the player isn’t on your team anymore. You never want to cut a player in a year where their dead money is higher than their actual cap hit. That would imply you lose the player and are paying them even more than you would if they were actually on the team.

That's actually what I thought it was. So why is that Dogface saying that Zeke is costing the Cowboys any dead money this season and next? Again, just a dumb old Jarhead asking. :grin:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm thinking they are creating space so they can absorb cutting Jaylon...and signing KJ Wright.

basel90

Reaction score
More kicking bad contract money down the road as usual by this dumb organization.

So Zeke not going anywhere for at least the next 3 seasons when he turns 29 years old.
How wasteful and repetitive by the FO . I am sure Stephen hated this one but Jerry decided to pay his star . They should have left zeke In Cabo . This all started when they drafted a damn running back 4th overall . No one does that .

rambo2

Reaction score
Funny how a simple move to create cap space that helps the team brings out the idiots to post crap up and down this thread.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

Good