Cowboys currently sit with the 3 overall draft pick

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone has a different opinion about tanking, but the Cowboys looked way better today than they have all season. Gallimore, Randy Gregory, LVE, Diggs, Aldon Smith look like players we can really build with on D and the offense was juiced with Dak on the field. The Oline should be back intact next year and they have 4 comp picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds respectively. Having the 2nd or 3rd overall pick is important because I think there will be a bidding war for Justin Fields and I think it would benefit the Cowboys more to trade the pick & add draft picks and have the flexibility to move around in the draft to get players they really want/need. I can really see this being one of those 3-13 to 13-3 teams in one year (similar to the 2015/2016 Cowboys).

The #2 pick will have 2x the value of the #3 pick...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys end up at the 3 spot, they will have to be careful because this is not a deep or great draft and they must come away with their guy and not allow another team to jump them.

If they are going forward with Prescott, Sewell is the best pick in the 1st round for them. No such thing as a sure thing but he's as close as any player and closer than 99%.

The hardest decision to make in the game, and particularly hard for this team, is knowing when it's time to move on from a player that's been great for them but can no longer play at that level. And man, if I knew some of these guys personally and knew what they did for me on that field and what they had to do just to take that field, I would find it difficult as well.

There's another element to this about this player. Big Smitty's relationship with the Joneses is unlike any other on the team. When he was going through that family hell with his siblings, they stood beside him and backed him up with support. That's why he gave them that sweetheart deal when a player regarded as one of the top 2 at his position could have really held them up. Smitty's deal wasn't a hometown discount, it was a family discount.

They need to err on the side of caution and not get cute because in a shallow draft, many teams wanting to move up for the blue chippers and with all of these QB's being taken, a stud LT is right behind them in importance. If that means sticking at 3 and taking him, so be it. CIN and MIA, with HOU's pick, are looking for a LT like him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Until today I was convinced the Cowboys wouldn't win another game but I think we are probably out of the running for a top 3 pick. Jets and Jags will probably be 1 and 2. Then the Cowboys probably beat the Giants and Football Team. We can still get a great player at 5 or 6 so not too upset. Just won't get the crazy haul for a trade down like we would have at pick 2.
Keep Gilbert out of the starting lineup and we got a serious chance to tank, so if Dalton starts showing life, how do they pull him?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep Gilbert out of the starting lineup and we got a serious chance to tank, so if Dalton starts showing life, how do they pull him?
Weird season, ain't it?

Cowboys fans be like "no, don't show us KC, GB, BAL and PIT, show us the Jags and Jets".

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's as close as they get too.
Never have said it before,, die hard forever it seems, but this year,, just tank for a better tomorrow.
Cant post about it or mention it here without banishment..lol,, and I understand...
But this team needs to keep losing .. first time in my life as a Cowboys fan have I ever said that.
Screw 2020.

Thomas82

Reaction score
You want more top-notch high drafted picks and expensive off lineman ehh?
Non-playmakers right???
Answer me this.....we had 4 no 1 picks and one # 2 pick on the line for years are you happy with the results this team produced???
If your answer is yes you are NOT a Cowboy fan.....

I see it like this: Tyron Smith's body is breaking down and it's time to find a successor for him. I personally think we should have started looking for one 2 years ago. I'm aware that this is a good class for OT's and that you could find a nice one later in the 1st round, but Sewell is a different animal and so far ahead of the next tier. As for our other positions of need that would warrant a 1st round pick, I can't say the same, unless you believe that LB is a significant need. In that case, Micah Parsons is head and shoulders above everybody else in that position group.

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of people are pushing for us to draft a corner with our top pick. If we stay in our current position, we would be picking twice within the first 36 selections. This is a very strong CB class, where the top tier (Farley & Surtain) are not that far ahead of the next 2 tiers. We could easily get another starting corner with a 1st round grade in the 2nd round. If we don't get Sewell with our top pick, I would happy with Parsons.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see it like this: Tyron Smith's body is breaking down and it's time to find a successor for him. I personally think we should have started looking for one 2 years ago. I'm aware that this is a good class for OT's and that you could find a nice one later in the 1st round, but Sewell is a different animal and so far ahead of the next tier. As for our other positions of need that would warrant a 1st round pick, I can't say the same, unless you believe that LB is a significant need. In that case, Micah Parsons is head and shoulders above everybody else in that position group.

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of people are pushing for us to draft a corner with our top pick. If we stay in our current position, we would be picking twice within the first 36 selections. This is a very strong CB class, where the top tier (Farley & Surtain) are not that far ahead of the next 2 tiers. We could easily get another starting corner with a 1st round grade in the 2nd round. If we don't get Sewell with our top pick, I would happy with Parsons.

Draft playmakers(QB-DE-DT-LB-WR-CB) and pick off lineman in the 3rd and 4th and coach them up.
Wasting picks and cap dollars on-off lineman is a losing formula!
I mean we are the perfect example for the above big time!!

Skillit

Reaction score
He only listed the players he felt lived up to expectations

Lol, then you see the point.

it’s not an exact science—even the best are just over 50%, but acting like getting one of the top 2 QBs in the draft is the sane as getting a ring.

-rookie qb’s don’t win super bowls
-QBs only give you a chance
-Trubisky and Mahomes were drafted close together with MY rated higher
-Mahomes was projected in the 2nd round

Organizational culture matters. Players have to care about your brand.

I wish I was a Buffalo fan right now.

Skillit

Reaction score
You want more top-notch high drafted picks and expensive off lineman ehh?
Non-playmakers right???
Answer me this.....we had 4 no 1 picks and one # 2 pick on the line for years are you happy with the results this team produced???
If your answer is yes you are NOT a Cowboy fan.....

I agree we shouldn’t spend a top 3 pick on OL—-but 4 or so years ago when We had unquestionably the most dominant offense line in the game, we had a Rookie quarterback in the playoffs who almost beat Aaron R with no defense.

If we build an elite I line again, our “playmakers” are interchangeable because they don’t have to do as much to find holes, get open...all that.

If all you’re going to do is draft flashy offensive players at the top of the draft, Jerry Jones of 10 years ago loves you.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

True but I wouldn't mind taking two corners. I wouldn't feel great about taking any of those corners top 10 though.