RELEASED Cowboys cut Bailey and Keep Maher!

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Bailey may have signed with the Jets this morning. I am very confused by this move, and I really wish the team would make some kind of statement as to why they cut him.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He better be really injured, other wise dumbest move ever made by Jerry cutting a future HOF who can still perform

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Bailey may have signed with the Jets this morning. I am very confused by this move, and I really wish the team would make some kind of statement as to why they cut him.

Jerry told me to tell you that they had to cut him so they could make room for a certain basketball player because they don't want to admit they made a mistake. They need to try and save a little face now.

khiladi

Reaction score
Absolutely stupid move.

The alleged drops in his percentages are overblown:

1. 50 yards plus and 2 makes a year as opposed to two misses isn’t that statistically significant

2. Last year, he had the groin injury and again, the misses (less kicks meaning any miss has more impact on percentage drops) were plus 50 yard kicks.

From 20 to 50, he’s basically the same Dan Bailey. The last two years he’s just not been other world Bailey from plus 50.

They chose leg strength over consistency and accuracy, meaning they went cheap based on the fact A guy kicked a 57 yarder.

Dan Bailey is so precise he even knows his limitations for the night

As fate would have it, Bailey’s attempt hit the bottom crossbar landing it literally one yard short of being a successful field goal... proving that Dan Bailey is incredible even in misses. He is a football-kicking machine, knowing his maximum distance in all sorts of environments.

Of course this type of kicker is amazingly useful for any real coach, especially as he has to make decisions in the course of a game as it what to do regarding field positions, but we got Red Ginger and this cast of buffoons.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...n-inaccuracy-and-potential-distance-threshold

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I keep hearing how Bailey's kicking percentage was 75% last year and was dropping...So I had to do some homework. The guy missed 5 FGs last year. 5...total. 15 for 20 in 12 games. And 2 of those misses were from 50+....While playing injured.

I'm sorry...you just don't throw the most accurate kicker in the history of the league...into the trash ...because of injury. He just turned 30.

The guy is gonna kick until he's 35 or older...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Also, I wish some people would get the difference between going through waivers and becoming a free agent. Bailey's situation wasn't even close.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Thing that worries me more about Maher is that he isnt a rookie Sensation that no one saw coming.

He was already on the Cowboys Years ago and couldnt find a NFL Job so far. Its not like hes a unknown Newcomer.

So the worries are if he can hit consistant when 70.000+ ppl are screaming and looking.
I had to look him up to see what his track record was and he couldn't make the Cleveland Browns squad last year. In Canada he's had an up and down track record and he's never played an NFL game.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I am not a fan of kickers, but Bailey was my favorite player on the team. He was absolutely money.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Pretty sure Bailey doesn't qualify for waivers. He was a FA immediately.
You are correct

I was really talking that his 3.4m salary is pretty steep and it won't matched in FA imo

This wasn't a 'cheap' move by DAL...... Kickers get old faster than RBs in some cases

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is gone guys. We have to let him go. Whether it was a dumb move or not? We will find out soon. If he goes to the jets and starts missing kicks then we will all breath a sigh and the staff will be genius. If our new kicker starts missing then they are idiots.

He only missed a few in TC. I think the jets are getting a damn good kicker.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
It's gonna take a long time before I can feel comfortable again every time our kicker lines up for a field goal. I really think this was a mistake. I hope the kid proves me wrong. Time will tell.

Nexx

Reaction score
He’s working out with the Jets today.

right still no claimed him off waivers meaning he passed through waivers and now he is getting possibly signed as a free agent meaning no team thought enough of him to just snatch him up at 3.4 million without having to compete with other teams for his services is what the guy you quoted was trying to emphasis

hairic

Reaction score
right still no claimed him off waivers meaning he passed through waivers and now he is getting possibly signed as a free agent meaning no team thought enough of him to just snatch him up at 3.4 million without having to compete with other teams for his services is what the guy you quoted was trying to emphasis

Any player with less than four years of playing time is subject to waivers when released (i.e. rookie, ERFA, RFA players). If they played for 4+ years, they are a free agent. The only time waivers come into play on veteran releases is when it happens after the trade deadline, IIRC.

Bailey stopped being subject to waivers at the completion of the 2014 season, unless he gets released after the trade deadline.