RELEASED Cowboys cut Bailey and Keep Maher!

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Sooner or later, teams will start coming around to my point of view and do away with kickers and punters.

You either get a first down or turn the ball over no matter field position.

Least liked player on each team is forced to kick the ball over while wearing a single bar retro facemask.
least liked? maybe because people like you dont like them. The game is called "foot" ball and they are the only two who use their feet. Its been with the game going back the century before the last century. It is the game. Its a field position game and you punt to pin your opponent deep in their own territory. You kick off to establish beginning field position, you kick field goals to score points so not every drive has to be all or nothing. Oh but they are a little smaller than your big burly men at the other positions so you dont like them. Sorry man but this thinking is so dumb

glimmerman

Reaction score
Bailey.. Thanks bro. You were the only kicker in history that I could get up and walk away from the tv to go mix a drink or go to the bathroom and know that the FG was good.

Wish he didn’t hurt his groin. I was hearing during TC he was ok. But also heard some excuses. Maybe he missed a few a day at camp but there was winds. I believe we all wanted him to be ok. And someone will grab him and he will do fine but he may have lost the guaranteed edge.

Jipper

Reaction score
least liked? maybe because people like you dont like them. The game is called "foot" ball and they are the only two who use their feet. Its been with the game going back the century before the last century. It is the game. Its a field position game and you punt to pin your opponent deep in their own territory. You kick off to establish beginning field position, you kick field goals to score points so not every drive has to be all or nothing. Oh but they are a little smaller than your big burly men at the other positions so you dont like them. Sorry man but this thinking is so dumb

Holy crap we need real games to start

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Are you talking about Bailey or something else? Bailey clearly struggled with the mental part after the injury last season, and if it carried over to TC what were the Cowboys supposed to do?
Nah not really Dan he was overpaid and not kicking well. Every move they have made this off season is a head scratcher. It seems like they have no plan what so ever. It's like they were surprised that the season was coming and are just blindly grabbing at scrub FAs or just doing a lot of nothing

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I guess the 57 yarder in the last game kind of put the stamp on the envelope.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah it was not smartly planned out, they could have traded bailey during offseason, saying he had some issues with coaches, or something.
They could have got a 4th maybe for him, at least a 6th.
It seems like they just decided at the last minute.
So I wonder if maher misses that last fg, do they keep him or bailey ???
Bottom line is if handled better they could have got at least a low pick for 2019 draft.
now maybe they get a compensatory pick for him I dont know.

Unfortunately, you don't get comp picks for cuts. So, I wish they would've tried to trade him too. Maybe they did and nobody took him, but I'd have taken an extra pick.

trade a kicker?
really?

I think Arizona would have loved to have him along with Denver.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah not really Dan he was overpaid and not kicking well. Every move they have made this off season is a head scratcher. It seems like they have no plan what so ever. It's like they were surprised that the season was coming and are just blindly grabbing at scrub FAs or just doing a lot of nothing

You say Bailey was overpaid and not kicking well, yet you say realeasing him was a head scratcher? That doesn’t make much sense.

What was a head scratcher about drafting Williams and Gallup, or signing Flemming, or franchising Lawrence, or signing a guard and center after Frederick went down? All of us have thoughts on things maybe they could have done better - certainly most of us think safety depth is thin - but these were all very reasonable and understandable moves.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Another great player wasted by the Garrett Process. Make fun of kickers all you want but for several years he was the best in the league at his position and an incredible asset.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That would have meant making an early decision on both Bailey and Maher. Sometimes training camp and preseason have to play out to make a choice.
GOOD point, but they should have decided in TC , not that hard with kickers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Another great player wasted by the Garrett Process. Make fun of kickers all you want but for several years he was the best in the league at his position and an incredible asset.
garret is bad about settling for fg's, and with bailey that was not good, but ok.
With maher, it depends on how consistent he can be.

Carter

Reaction score
There has to be a bigger Problem with the Leg. Cowboys must have seen sth or not seen sth in Camp. Otherwise this makes no sense.

You dont give up the best Kicker in Franchise History, a Top 5 Kicker in the League if fit for a Bounce Around CFL Kicker just to save 3,5 Million.

Even if you spend that Money on a Player now you wont get the same Impact that Bailey had before the injury.

So my guess is that he hasnt recovered from the injury either physically or mentally or maybe both and was bad in TC.

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
I chose keeping Maher as the roster surprise on the thread I started on Saturday morning. The reason I was thinking this is:

Maher was getting nearly all the preseason kicks. Given Bailey's recent history, you'd think the Cowboys would have wanted to see him kick a few in game conditions to see if he was ok. Kickers don't suffer 'wear and tear' in preseason games. I'm wondering if the decision was made earlier than we think.

The 57 yarder - Bailey doesnt have this range.

One thing that struck me about the 57yarder was how comfortable Maher looked. Not just that he made it with ease, but his body language and demeanor was of someone who was comfortable in the environment. He didnt look like a nervous rookie or someone under pressure to win a job.

On his CFL percentage - bear in mind that kicking conditions in the CFL are a lot more difficult than NFL. Bad weather, large open windy stadia, wider hash marks, inferior blocking/long snaps etc. If you can hit 82% per season in the CFL you should have a higher percentage in the NFL.

Carter

Reaction score
The Thing that worries me more about Maher is that he isnt a rookie Sensation that no one saw coming.

He was already on the Cowboys Years ago and couldnt find a NFL Job so far. Its not like hes a unknown Newcomer.

So the worries are if he can hit consistant when 70.000+ ppl are screaming and looking.

Swagger

Reaction score

During his career, Bailey is 94% on field goals up to 50 yards - 156/166. That is insane. 68% over 50 yards.

I think his stats are distorted last season because he was rushed back when he clearly wasn't right and missed several kicks when he shouldn't have even been playing. He was still 84% in 2016 which is excellent - people claim he was dropping off etc when in reality he had previously set ridiculously high standards which were highly unlikely to be produced every single season. Mason Crosby came back from a couple of down years at Green Bay and as another poster highlighted, Adam Vinatieri had a few down years before coming back strongly.

In my view, they pulled the plug too early on this one. There is saving money and there is disposing of the second most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL...at aged 30.

I'm surprised at how many people are loving Maher - he knuckle heads a ball over from 57 yards in a pre season game and suddenly he is the best kicker in history. He had been kicking the leagues for several years - if he was that good then why did another team not take him in 3-4 years back and keep him...

Any way, i hope to be proved wrong.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GOOD point, but they should have decided in TC , not that hard with kickers.

It’s not that easy to reach the decision let go of a guy as good as Bailey had been. In any case, no team picked up Bailey off waivers, so they weren’t going to trade for him anyway.