Video: Cowboys DC Quinn found another Micah Parsons. Ole Miss DE Sam Williams

baltcowboy

Reaction score
All kidding aside Willams looks like he has talent. Where is he rated in the top 100?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Interesting.
He might fall due to some off the field issue that was dropped.
I'm surprised that he is not rated higher.

The nfl.com draft reported does not match what I see in his 2021 game footage.
- They say he is weak vs the run.
- Draft reports on Seniors were often done when the player was a Junior and don't get updated.
- Also, they might have failed to consider the position that he often played (4i and 5 tech).
- Basically a 3-4 Strong Side DE alignment/technique. That's normally a 285+ pound type player.
- He did move around even playing some snaps at off-ball LB (MLB) and a position similar to 3-4 OLB or stand-up 4-3 DE.

Sam Williams
6-4, 261
Arm Length: 33-1/8"
Forty: 4.46

cnuball21

Reaction score
Good pass rusher, equally bad against the run. Not on the same planet as Parsons was as a prospect.

I like him and a few other DEs in the 2nd that would be similar. Give you pass rush juice year 1 and you just hope they can develop against the run.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dc1c6462-d4a2-4e61-aeeb-fa03e9a697c1

SAM WILLIAMS
MISSISSIPPI - EDGE

Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Mississippi

HOMETOWN
Montgomery, AL

CLASS
Senior

HEIGHT
6'4"

WEIGHT
261 lbs

ARMS
33 1/8

HANDS
9 7/8"

Prospect Grade
Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

NFL Comparison
Shaun Phillips

Overview
Despite his troubling performance versus the run, Williams' pass-rush flashes tend to leave a more lasting impression. He was often overmatched and pummeled at the point of attack, failing to play with the effort and grit needed to stand up to SEC linemen. As a rusher, he gets off the ball quickly and attacks the pocket with the bend and hand work to gain entry into the backfield from a variety of angles. He projects as a potentially dangerous sub-package rusher who will need to get stronger and more competitive against the run if he wants to be considered for early down snaps.

Strengths
  • Snap quickness to fire into B-gap.
  • Agility and acceleration pursuing in space.
  • Races upfield low and with lean.
  • Flexibility to bend and flatten the edge.
  • Alters speeds, attack angles and entry points in his rush.
  • Inside transitions are sharp but fluid.
  • Tremendous upper-body twitch and flexibility.
  • Active hands stack slaps and counters when needed.
  • Edge-to-edge rush quickness will make blockers work hard.
Weaknesses
  • Fails to diagnose and match lateral block movement.
  • Consistently reached and caved by lesser talent.
  • Lacks grit and physicality against the run.
  • Struggles to drop an anchor and set an edge.
  • Rush gets upended by a stern punch.
  • Lacks lower-body strength to pair with counters inside.

Sources Tell Us

"Draft the rush and worry about the rest of it later. He has the talent to get after quarterbacks and that will always have value in the league. Always." -- Personnel director for AFC team

morasp

Reaction score
dc1c6462-d4a2-4e61-aeeb-fa03e9a697c1

SAM WILLIAMS
MISSISSIPPI - EDGE

Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Mississippi

HOMETOWN
Montgomery, AL

CLASS
Senior

HEIGHT
6'4"

WEIGHT
261 lbs

ARMS
33 1/8

HANDS
9 7/8"

Prospect Grade
Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

NFL Comparison
Shaun Phillips

Overview
Despite his troubling performance versus the run, Williams' pass-rush flashes tend to leave a more lasting impression. He was often overmatched and pummeled at the point of attack, failing to play with the effort and grit needed to stand up to SEC linemen. As a rusher, he gets off the ball quickly and attacks the pocket with the bend and hand work to gain entry into the backfield from a variety of angles. He projects as a potentially dangerous sub-package rusher who will need to get stronger and more competitive against the run if he wants to be considered for early down snaps.

Strengths
  • Snap quickness to fire into B-gap.
  • Agility and acceleration pursuing in space.
  • Races upfield low and with lean.
  • Flexibility to bend and flatten the edge.
  • Alters speeds, attack angles and entry points in his rush.
  • Inside transitions are sharp but fluid.
  • Tremendous upper-body twitch and flexibility.
  • Active hands stack slaps and counters when needed.
  • Edge-to-edge rush quickness will make blockers work hard.
Weaknesses
  • Fails to diagnose and match lateral block movement.
  • Consistently reached and caved by lesser talent.
  • Lacks grit and physicality against the run.
  • Struggles to drop an anchor and set an edge.
  • Rush gets upended by a stern punch.
  • Lacks lower-body strength to pair with counters inside.

Sources Tell Us

"Draft the rush and worry about the rest of it later. He has the talent to get after quarterbacks and that will always have value in the league. Always." -- Personnel director for AFC team
He'll need a 3X helmet

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I don't really get him being labeled as weak against the run. He's an edge rusher not a DT and his tackle #s are every bit as good as the top rated DEs in this draft.

Williams 57 tackles and 16 TFL
Hutchinson 62 tackles and 16.5 TFL
Thibodeaux 49 tackles and 12 TFL
Johnson 70 tackles and 17.5 TFL
Walker 37 tackles and 7.5 TFL

On top of those #s he also has more career sacks at 22.5 and more forced fumbles at 6 than any player mentioned above. He's a disruptive player and I don't see what Lance is seeing in the run game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Sam Williams won't make it to our 56th spot. Need to take him in the 1st round at 24th. If not, trade down a few picks to get an extra 3rd, plus still draft him even later in the 1st.

There isn't one media scout that has him rated as a 1st rd prospect and he doesn't have character concerns.

Gaede

Reaction score

Sam Williams won't make it to our 56th spot. Need to take him in the 1st round at 24th. If not, trade down a few picks to get an extra 3rd, plus still draft him even later in the 1st.

I believe it. Unless this dude really is a headcase, pass rushers with top production at a big school, top football instincts, AND top athletic metrics don't last long.

Look at Jaelan Phillips. Dude actually RETIRED due to severe head injuries and still went in the first because he could get sacks

I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams start to be mocked in Rd one, especially after Ojabos injury

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I believe it. Unless this dude really is a headcase, pass rushers with top production at a big school, top football instincts, AND top athletic metrics don't last long.

Look at Jaelan Phillips. Dude actually RETIRED due to severe head injuries and still went in the first because he could get sacks

I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams start to be mocked in Rd one, especially after Ojabos injury

Williams and Logan Hall are the two DL I could see going much higher than the "media scouts" have them. I think both could go end of day 1.