Cowboys declare 4 practice-squad players protected for Week 3

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
are you considering his contract? I believe the answer is no. which would speak volumes to how bad he is relative to his contract.

It says nothing about his contract. It just says your belief, which isn't universally shared by the way.

I read a lot of hand-wringing here during the ATL game then I watched the replay Tuesday and wondered why there was so much complaining.

It's like once this board attaches a narrative to a player all they see is data that fits the narrative - everything else is filtered out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Bernard is not good enough to be on the active 53 with the problems we have at LB, is he worth even saving?

That is an honest question given the circumstances we are in, not sarcastic.

And no I don't really trust the coaching staff to make the right decision regarding our LB as Joe Thomas should start over Jaylon anyway!
Good points!

aikemirv

Reaction score
It says nothing about his contract. It just says your belief, which isn't universally shared by the way.

I read a lot of hand-wringing here during the ATL game then I watched the replay Tuesday and wondered why there was so much complaining.

It's like once this board attaches a narrative to a player all they see is data that fits the narrative - everything else is filtered out.

Because he flat out cannot change directions. He got absolutely burned by the TE's a couple of plays and he overuns plays a lot. Takes bad angles as well. I am pretty sure the wide open TE TD was his responsibility as well.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Well, hardly anything is universally agreed upon. But a lot of folks have learned that his performance won't be consistent from week to week. Atl may have put him in positions to play to his strength and thus he may have looked acceptable. When he has to deal with the other things (that all LBers have to deal with) he is a liability. Meanwhile an undrafted LBer making $1.75MM was generally regarded as the best defensive player last week by showing all the traits a LBer needs to possess. He's just not the player he was hyped to be. That should be clear to everyone. How far below that level he is subject to individual interpretation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Because he flat out cannot change directions. He got absolutely burned by the TE's a couple of plays and he overuns plays a lot. Takes bad angles as well. I am pretty sure the wide open TE TD was his responsibility as well.
Nope. It's people hated the draft pick on draft day and swore he'd never play a down and keep on crying even though he is the one consistent at LB after starting every game the last 3 seasons.
He is limited but so are ALL LBs.
He's a good TE man cover guy but he is pretty terrible in zone coverage and he plays great coming forward but poor going backwards.
He's an old school style come forward and strike LB.

The angle thing is legit. Most of the rest is nonsense.
He's not great at change of direction or stop start but most guys his size suck at it.
He's simply over analyzed by whiny media who didn't wanna admit they were wrong right and the fans who drink from their trough.
He's been an NFL top 100 guy the last 2 years and has a Pro Bowl to his credit.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fan narratives are great comedy.

Most fans never review a game but they had adamant opinions regardless.

The fan narrative about practice squad player Benard is a great example.
- None of us have even seen Benard but the narrative is that he is super awesome and that the coaches are stupid for not making him a starter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Fan narratives are great comedy.

Most fans never review a game but they had adamant opinions regardless.

The fan narrative about practice squad player Benard is a great example.
- None of us have even seen Benard but the narrative is that he is super awesome and that the coaches are stupid for not making him a starter.
Nothing demonstrates this more clearly than the fans unrequited lust for back ups who can't get on the field all while dogging the guy who is on the field.

Fans take a 5 minute speech by a media member and take it for the gospel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing demonstrates this more clearly than the fans unrequited lust for back ups who can't get on the field all while dogging the guy who is on the field.

Fans take a 5 minute speech by a media member and take it for the gospel.
It really is absurd.