CFZ Cowboys Defense 1 In Points Allowed

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense is currently #1 in points allowed. They are #9 in yards allowed. This is powered by the fact that they are the #1 passing defense in the league allowing an average of 175 passing yards.

Their run defense is dragging them down to their #9 spot in total yards given up. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile, the offense had vaulted to #7 in scoring while being #14 in yardage. They have the 2nd fewest turnovers in the league while the defense has the 3rd most takeaways. This leads to a #3 rank in turnover/takeaway margin.

Overall, the Cowboys are ranked #2 in the league for points margin

The Cowboys have scored an average of 35.25 points a game since Dak's return compared to 21.4 points a game with Cooper Rush. Throughout the entire season, the Cowboys defense has given up an average of 16.7 points a game.

Dak has squeezed into the top ten rank for passer rating. He is at #10 currently. His 68 yard pass to Pollard is the 9th longest in the league so far this season. Yes, the quarterback is often the recipient of impressive numbers due to the dynamic play of their teammates but the 88% accuracy in the Viking game was impressive.

In fact, Dak is ranked #8 in completion percentage, higher than Kyler Muray, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers among others.

Bret Maher has now made 7 field goals of 50 or more yards this season. Three of them came yesterday.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We have a good defense but still not elite IMO. Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run which worked to our strength.

I’ll be a believer when I see multiple games of us having to stop the run for 4 quarters against good teams.

pitt33

Reaction score
Thanks Plastic Man.

Those are some tasty stats indeed. Especially scoring defense. I’m all about that one.

Man if this team gets in the playoffs they must advance with those current defensive statistics. NFL history tells us as much.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We have a good defense but still not elite IMO. Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run which worked to our strength.

I’ll be a believer when I see multiple games of us having to stop the run for 4 quarters against good teams.
The true test for the defense will be back to back Eagles and Tennessee. Two power run teams.

Bagman

Reaction score
The true test for the defense will be back to back Eagles and Tennessee. Two power run teams.
It could be a true test for the Eagles and Tennessee also. Can those running teams keep up with Dallas scoring 35 pts on them ? Dak (hopefully) will be the QB facing them, with a full complement of weapons.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Cowboys defense is currently #1 in points allowed. They are #9 in yards allowed. This is powered by the fact that they are the #1 passing defense in the league allowing an average of 175 passing yards.

Their run defense is dragging them down to their #9 spot in total yards given up. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile, the offense had vaulted to #7 in scoring while being #14 in yardage. They have the 2nd fewest turnovers in the league while the defense has the 3rd most takeaways. This leads to a #3 rank in turnover/takeaway margin.

The Cowboys have scored an average of 35.25 points a game since Dak's return compared to 21.4 points a game with Cooper Rush. Throughout the entire season, the Cowboys defense has given up an average of 16.7 points a game.

Dak has squeezed into the top ten rank for passer rating. He is at #10 currently. His 68 yard pass to Pollard is the 9th longest in the league so far this season. Yes, the quarterback is often the recipient of impressive numbers due to the dynamic play of their teammates but the 88% accuracy in the Viking game was impressive.

In fact, Dak is ranked #8 in completion percentage, higher than Kyler Muray, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers among others.

Bret Maher has now made 7 field goals of 50 or more yards this season. Three of them came yesterday.
Their run defense looked much improved yesterday.
That is all that is keeping them from being really special.

Sydla

Reaction score
Very simple recipe for us. Get the lead, let the edge players feast.

If this team is in a tight game with a good team that can run the ball, this defense will be exposed a bit. And it likely will be this way for as long as Jerry and Stephen continue to ignore the need for a dominant interior DL or two. Contrast us to Philly. They place serious value in the DT position. They still have Cox and Hargrave but after Davis got hurt and they lost a backup, they went out and grabbed Joseph and Suh and both were factors Sunday for them. And Jordan Davis is due back against the Titans. So that would give them an interior DT rotation of Cox, Hargrave, Davis, Suh and Joseph. While we are running out the likes of Gallimore and Watkins. LOL.

Offense finding itself will be an important development for this team as if they can get points on the board early in games, it helps the D.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

Please list the elite defenses in football as well as the defenses that are better than the Cowboys. I’d be interested in seeing your list.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Very simple recipe for us. Get the lead, let the edge players feast.

If this team is in a tight game with a good team that can run the ball, this defense will be exposed a bit. And it likely will be this way for as long as Jerry and Stephen continue to ignore the need for a dominant interior DL or two. Contrast us to Philly. They place serious value in the DT position. They still have Cox and Hargrave but after Davis got hurt and they lost a backup, they went out and grabbed Joseph and Suh and both were factors Sunday for them. And Jordan Davis is due back against the Titans. So that would give them an interior DT rotation of Cox, Hargrave, Davis, Suh and Joseph. While we are running out the likes of Gallimore and Watkins. LOL.

Offense finding itself will be an important development for this team as if they can get points on the board early in games, it helps the D.
Things never change with you. Joseph and Suh are old as dirt. Davis is a 350lb plus human being with a high ankle sprain. The Eagles also lost another backup tackle. That is why they picked up Suh. Like Tyron, I would like to see Davis in a uniform before I make him the best tackle in the league.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+100
Kind of stats and/or ranking associated with the Super Bowl. My favorite......#1 in points allowed. Many here have seen me post the two team stats that matter ( Belichick ), points, and turnovers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Things never change with you. Joseph and Suh are old as dirt. Davis is a 350lb plus human being with a high ankle sprain. The Eagles also lost another backup tackle. That is why they picked up Suh. Like Tyron, I would like to see Davis in a uniform before I make him the best tackle in the league.

Joseph and Suh both played really well yesterday for them. They helped hold Taylor to less than 4 yards per carry. Nowhere did I claim they were great (or claim Davis could be the best). But they are still effective and showed it yesterday in helping the Eagles hold one of the leagues best backs in check when the Eagles D had been getting run each week. Their DT rotation is significantly better than ours right now.

Things will NEVER change with me when it comes to the DT position and this team. I wil continue to call out Jerry and Stephen if they continue to nickel and dime the DT position and then wonder why we find teams that can bully ball us to death with their run games. It's going to be the thing that coud potentially hold us back as we make our run through the rest of the season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Joseph and Suh both played really well yesterday for them. They helped hold Taylor to less than 4 yards per carry. Nowhere did I claim they were great (or claim Davis could be the best). But they are still effective and showed it yesterday in helping the Eagles hold one of the leagues best backs in check when the Eagles D had been getting run each week. Their DT rotation is significantly better than ours right now.

Things will NEVER change with me when it comes to the DT position and this team. I wil continue to call out Jerry and Stephen if they continue to nickel and dime the DT position and then wonder why we find teams that can bully ball us to death with their run games. It's going to be the thing that coud potentially hold us back as we make our run through the rest of the season.
With Dallas it is more about Quinn with the defensive tackles. He wants pass rushers and big athletic linebackers. Big boys can’t get after the quarterback. I agree with Quinn but we will always have problems with the run.

blueblood70

Reaction score

too bad that defense didn't show up in the GB game, im not letting that go, 14 poin t collapse OT loss they scoulsdnt stop a wheeless car from moving the ball!! same inthe bears game gave up 29 and 246 yards rushing.. Just saying, great game but..... lets see 3 or 4 in row

Zman5

Reaction score
If Tyron comes back and be his usual self rest of the season, the offense will be even better with him at LT and Tyler Smith at LG.
We will also have great depth at OL with Peters and McGovern as backups.

Washington coming back will also improve the offense as he will be a much better option than Tolbert.