CFZ Cowboys Defense 1 In Points Allowed

lukin2006

Reaction score
Anytime you only give up 3 is fantastic. Holding Minnesota to only 3 in Minnesota is special performance. They got weapons. I expected Cook or Jefferson to break a long one…

rambo2

Reaction score
too bad that defense didn't show up in the GB game, im not letting that go, 14 poin t collapse OT loss they scoulsdnt stop a wheeless car from moving the ball!! same inthe bears game gave up 29 and 246 yards rushing.. Just saying, great game but..... lets see 3 or 4 in row
You could see 8 in a row.

plasticman

Reaction score
I once did some statistical research on Super Bowl champions and their common traits.

In looking at only the 2000's, here are the averages for certain categories as compared to the rest of the league.

The average points scored for Super Bowl champions ranked #8.4. That is, the average rank for Super Bowl champions in their particular season was 8.4.

Offensive yardage was ranked 11.6

Points allowed:7.7.

Yards allowed: 10.6.

turnover/takeaway ratio 7.0

This tells us that the most common attribute was the ability to limit turnovers while being very opportunistic on offense after the defense often creates takeaways.

Yardage is not important and I don't see why many use yardage when ranking teams statistically. It comes down to taking advantage of opportunities and scoring.

A defense ranked high in takeaways give great field position for their offenses and those offenses capitalizes on this. This is why an offense ranked high in scoring but lower in yardage is actually an example of great efficiency.

Obviously there will be a few exceptions, whose numbers actually reduce the overall average of Super Bowl champions. The Giants had no business winning in 2011 and their numbers are an absolute anomaly.

It is interesting to note that the worse offenses had defenses that were ranked #1 in both points and yards allowed as well as a very high score in turnover/takeaway ratio. Their offenses were not very productive. However, they made few mistakes that cost them.

Examples:

2008 Steelers ranked #20 that season in points scored but ranked #1 in both defensive categories.

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers ranked #18 in points scored, #24 in offensive yardage but #1 in both points and yards allowed as well as #1 in the turnover ratio.

2000 Baltimore ravens ranked #14 in points, but #1 in points allowed, #2 in yards allowed, and #1 in the turnover ratio.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which is why I earlier stated not sure if there are any elite defenses this year.

Alright well if thats the case, whether we call it elite or great regardless our defense is arguably the best in the NFL.

pitt33

Reaction score
+100
Kind of stats and/or ranking associated with the Super Bowl. My favorite......#1 in points allowed. Many here have seen me post the two team stats that matter ( Belichick ), points, and turnovers.
Couldn’t agree more.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It was reported on one of the Morning sport's shows that of the 17 TD passes the Cowboys have thrown, 11 of them were in multiple tight end sets.

Their stats, not mine.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Joseph and Suh both played really well yesterday for them. They helped hold Taylor to less than 4 yards per carry. Nowhere did I claim they were great (or claim Davis could be the best). But they are still effective and showed it yesterday in helping the Eagles hold one of the leagues best backs in check when the Eagles D had been getting run each week. Their DT rotation is significantly better than ours right now.

Things will NEVER change with me when it comes to the DT position and this team. I wil continue to call out Jerry and Stephen if they continue to nickel and dime the DT position and then wonder why we find teams that can bully ball us to death with their run games. It's going to be the thing that coud potentially hold us back as we make our run through the rest of the season.
Spot on!!

We needed a run stuffing DT more than Philly, but we sat on our hands allowing Philly to grab both Joseph and Suh. They both made an immediate impact after only a couple days of practice. The Colts made it inside the 10 late in the 4th quarter and Philly’s D line absolutely stoned their running game with Suh and Joseph in the middle. Really good chance Philly losses that game if the Colts would have scored a TD there!!!

We DEFINITELY should have picked up Suh before Philly. Really dumb we didn’t !!!!

CWR

Reaction score
100%. Throw the Giants in there as well.

With how good our pass rush is Id settle for average run defense as I think that’d be more than enough to win.

To be fair Minny was also a true test. They just got whipped so soundly that desperation mode came early.

coult44

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense is currently #1 in points allowed. They are #9 in yards allowed. This is powered by the fact that they are the #1 passing defense in the league allowing an average of 175 passing yards.

Their run defense is dragging them down to their #9 spot in total yards given up. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile, the offense had vaulted to #7 in scoring while being #14 in yardage. They have the 2nd fewest turnovers in the league while the defense has the 3rd most takeaways. This leads to a #3 rank in turnover/takeaway margin.

Overall, the Cowboys are ranked #2 in the league for points margin

The Cowboys have scored an average of 35.25 points a game since Dak's return compared to 21.4 points a game with Cooper Rush. Throughout the entire season, the Cowboys defense has given up an average of 16.7 points a game.

Dak has squeezed into the top ten rank for passer rating. He is at #10 currently. His 68 yard pass to Pollard is the 9th longest in the league so far this season. Yes, the quarterback is often the recipient of impressive numbers due to the dynamic play of their teammates but the 88% accuracy in the Viking game was impressive.

In fact, Dak is ranked #8 in completion percentage, higher than Kyler Muray, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers among others.

Bret Maher has now made 7 field goals of 50 or more yards this season. Three of them came yesterday.
Good work. Only one I care about is scoring defense. I couldn’t give a rats butt as to how many yards anyone gets running or passing. If they don’t score, who cares.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You could see 8 in a row.
coulda woulda shoulda:facepalm:, we saw 6 last year and it didnt help down the stretch. this team has tendency to underachieve and let us down in games we think they should win. Those easy wins are not always easy, philly lost to wash and nearly lost to Indy, week to week league, stop looking ahead..

we have a desperate and upset NY team ahead in game for 2nd place..they can run the blal and have mobile qb, thats our Achilles heal.:popcorn:

Scotman

Reaction score
Fewest points allowed is absolutely the most important metric for a defense. I know other factors weigh heavily, but not letting the other team score is the top priority.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense is currently #1 in points allowed. They are #9 in yards allowed. This is powered by the fact that they are the #1 passing defense in the league allowing an average of 175 passing yards.

Their run defense is dragging them down to their #9 spot in total yards given up. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile, the offense had vaulted to #7 in scoring while being #14 in yardage. They have the 2nd fewest turnovers in the league while the defense has the 3rd most takeaways. This leads to a #3 rank in turnover/takeaway margin.

Overall, the Cowboys are ranked #2 in the league for points margin

The Cowboys have scored an average of 35.25 points a game since Dak's return compared to 21.4 points a game with Cooper Rush. Throughout the entire season, the Cowboys defense has given up an average of 16.7 points a game.

Dak has squeezed into the top ten rank for passer rating. He is at #10 currently. His 68 yard pass to Pollard is the 9th longest in the league so far this season. Yes, the quarterback is often the recipient of impressive numbers due to the dynamic play of their teammates but the 88% accuracy in the Viking game was impressive.

In fact, Dak is ranked #8 in completion percentage, higher than Kyler Muray, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers among others.

Bret Maher has now made 7 field goals of 50 or more yards this season. Three of them came yesterday.
This is highly relevant as is the depth and injury considerations.