CFZ Cowboys Defense 1 In Points Allowed

Sydla

Reaction score
With Dallas it is more about Quinn with the defensive tackles. He wants pass rushers and big athletic linebackers. Big boys can’t get after the quarterback. I agree with Quinn but we will always have problems with the run.

Maybe but we've had quite a few DCs over the last 10-15 years and yet no real sense of urgency at DT. The one constant has been the two Jones boys. I think they believe the value isn't there at DT hence their approach.

Personally, even after bringing in Hankins, which I was fine with, I would have double dipped and brought in a Suh or Joseph as well.

zerofill

Reaction score
Problem for Dallas is if you get down 2 scores, they they will panic trying to win in the air. Which we can not do.
If they don't panic they could still win. But they have a habit of throwing away possible wins when they are down
a couple scores because they throw out, what they do best.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Please list the elite defenses in football as well as the defenses that are better than the Cowboys. I’d be interested in seeing your list.

I don’t know if I’d label any of them elite but I’d take the 49ers, Bills, Eagles, Broncos and Pats D over ours.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I don’t know if I’d label any of them elite but I’d take the 49ers, Bills, Eagles, Broncos and Pats D over ours.
I think those 5 and the Cowboys can be the best defense in football on any given Sunday. I gave you a like for putting some thought into it.

Sydla

Reaction score

Ehhhhh, not sure I am buying what you are selling on Philly. Now, the additions of Joseph and Suh could help plug a real hole which has been their run D. Let's see where they are after GB and the Tennessee game. Both of those guys have competent QBs but will also want to run the ball.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think those 5 and the Cowboys can be the best defense in football on any given Sunday. I gave you a like for putting some thought into it.

Yea we’re clearly a good defense, don’t get mr wrong, I just don’t think we’re balanced.

We’ve proven in multiple games that if it’s close and the opposing team can continue to run we get gashed.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ehhhhh, not sure I am buying what you are selling on Philly. Now, the additions of Joseph and Suh could help plug a real hole which has been their run D. Let's see where they are after GB and the Tennessee game. Both of those guys have competent QBs but will also want to run the ball.

That’s fair, their run D isn’t great but they did just lose their starting NT to injury so that doesn’t help. They have the lowest YPA against the pass though so still think they are better overall.

JBond

Reaction score
We have a good defense but still not elite IMO. Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run which worked to our strength.

I’ll be a believer when I see multiple games of us having to stop the run for 4 quarters against good teams.

Yep, they are giving up way too many points.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hopefully yesterdays game will get the defense back to playing solid again. Good performance against the run but we need consistency.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I was impressed with Dak. That was a big game, big win. We lose that game our season might have unraveled. It feels we are back on track after the Green Bay loss. I’d still like OBJ. I’d like to really see this team make a run …

mahoneybill

Reaction score
We have a good defense but still not elite IMO. Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run which worked to our strength.

I’ll be a believer when I see multiple games of us having to stop the run for 4 quarters against good teams.

Agree. We neutrazlize their run game, and took advantage of Cousins.

Compare to GB where Rodgers used run to set up pass, and our gifting them turnovers followed by points spelled the outcome of the game.

Yesterday was one of those rare true blowouts.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Very simple recipe for us. Get the lead, let the edge players feast.

If this team is in a tight game with a good team that can run the ball, this defense will be exposed a bit. And it likely will be this way for as long as Jerry and Stephen continue to ignore the need for a dominant interior DL or two. Contrast us to Philly. They place serious value in the DT position. They still have Cox and Hargrave but after Davis got hurt and they lost a backup, they went out and grabbed Joseph and Suh and both were factors Sunday for them. And Jordan Davis is due back against the Titans. So that would give them an interior DT rotation of Cox, Hargrave, Davis, Suh and Joseph. While we are running out the likes of Gallimore and Watkins. LOL.

Offense finding itself will be an important development for this team as if they can get points on the board early in games, it helps the D.

THIS^^^^^^

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is what I was saying during the offseason.

Points allowed is all that matters. And the Cowboys have the team to be the #1 defense in points allowed.

And . . . here we are. #1 in points allowed!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys defense is currently #1 in points allowed. They are #9 in yards allowed. This is powered by the fact that they are the #1 passing defense in the league allowing an average of 175 passing yards.

Their run defense is dragging them down to their #9 spot in total yards given up. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards given up.

Meanwhile, the offense had vaulted to #7 in scoring while being #14 in yardage. They have the 2nd fewest turnovers in the league while the defense has the 3rd most takeaways. This leads to a #3 rank in turnover/takeaway margin.

Overall, the Cowboys are ranked #2 in the league for points margin

The Cowboys have scored an average of 35.25 points a game since Dak's return compared to 21.4 points a game with Cooper Rush. Throughout the entire season, the Cowboys defense has given up an average of 16.7 points a game.

Dak has squeezed into the top ten rank for passer rating. He is at #10 currently. His 68 yard pass to Pollard is the 9th longest in the league so far this season. Yes, the quarterback is often the recipient of impressive numbers due to the dynamic play of their teammates but the 88% accuracy in the Viking game was impressive.

In fact, Dak is ranked #8 in completion percentage, higher than Kyler Muray, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers among others.

Bret Maher has now made 7 field goals of 50 or more yards this season. Three of them came yesterday.
Good stuff my friend.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Why?

You want teams to score more points?

Having the top defense in points allowed will give you the best chance to win.

I mean, unless the point of the game is to allow more points.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why?

You want teams to score more points?

Having the top defense in points allowed will give you the best chance to win.

I mean, unless the point of the game is to allow more points.

B/c those teams have more balanced defenses. We’re great against the pass and bad against the run. The current PPG total is fun now but let’s revisit end of year.

Our achilles heel for years has been us being bullied by better teams and not being able to stop the run when it matters.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Please list the elite defenses in football as well as the defenses that are better than the Cowboys. I’d be interested in seeing your list.
Funny thing is that most of the so called elite teams are allowing over 4.5 per rush. People will turn a blind eye once you hit them with stats cause it dosent fit their narrative.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If that is your bar then none of the 32 teams have elite defenses. No team is gonna clamp your running game and passing game both for the entire 4 qtrs. And if thats the case then we have the best overall defense of all 32 teams.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If that is your bar then none of the 32 teams have elite defenses. No team is gonna clamp your running game and passing game both for the entire 4 qtrs. And if thats the case then we have the best overall defense of all 32 teams.

Which is why I earlier stated not sure if there are any elite defenses this year.