Cowboys defense ranked 27th against the rush

quickccc

Reaction score
That's why i am not ready to start claiming " elite" term yet for this defense.

Every team we've faced this year has over 100 yards rushing against us, ..and that's not a fluke.

That's a continuing flaw that we've yet to correct here .

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
i have always been concerned with the run up the gut defense Dallas has put out there. That is the main weakness in this defense and what is stopping it now from being elite level. If a team focuses and sticks to the run, we are cooked goose. I can see McVey dusting off that game plan he used successfully before so Dallas better be prepared.

817Gill

Reaction score
We were much better the second half of last game only giving up 40 rushing yards. And no they didn’t abandon the run until after midway through the 4th quarter.

Whatever adjustments were made need to be installed starting the first half.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen A. brought this up on first take. So I went and looked it up and he is correct so maybe we should keep our feet on the ground.
It is because we are sending the house and not setting the edge. We are also sending our MLB into pass coverage to cover for OLBs or Safeties that are rushing....this leaves the middle open. When we do this, we should probably keep a DT on the line instead of sending him upfield creating a cutback lane

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO this could be a huge problem like last year. Defense is good until teams really commit to running the ball. Last week they made halftime adjustments and were better against the run so there is hope.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was getting better then Washington started running all over us. This defense was built to play with a lead. It's very obvious.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We are seeing bad LB play against the run, but one thing to keep an eye on is our Dline seems to be caught up in sacks. It's been straight attack attack attack from them. This may be by design, or this may be a group of guys getting caught up in stats, i'm not really sure.

What has been interesting to me is that the Cowboys have given up some chuck yards on the ground, but when needed this run defense has stepped up.

I'd be curious to hear the takes of some of the posters who really dedicate time to breaking down film, but the sense I get is that DQ is fine with giving up some rushes, as long as we are getting to the QB. DQ has this defense playing for the sacks, turnovers, and drawing holding penalties between the 20s then locking down the run defense in short yardage and red zone trips.

Mr_437

Reaction score
This is cause for concern because the next 2 opponents are going to run the ball all day if they have to. Most teams can't take full advantage of this weakness.

On the Cowboys side of this...DQ inserted Golston into the lineup more in the 2nd half, and if teams want to run just stack those big run stoppers out there and give up a little pass rush.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's the single biggest issue that can pull the season apart. I don't trust our team to stop the run.

And they are facing two teams the next two weeks that can exploit it. McVay can scheme a run game against us and the Eagles have the best OL in football and a running QB.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Wow… didn’t realize we were ranked that low. Wonder how many yards separate 27th from #1?

We need better edge setters, LB play, and run support from CBs is an essential (and underrated) component of good run D. Unfortunately, we don’t have physical corners and our MLB is just average.

Definitely need to work on this aspect of our defense.

darealvelle

Reaction score
This is a game Jabril Cox need to be involved in heavily. McVay is going to put Kupp on LVE all game and destroy him.

Creeper

Reaction score
i have always been concerned with the run up the gut defense Dallas has put out there. That is the main weakness in this defense and what is stopping it now from being elite level. If a team focuses and sticks to the run, we are cooked goose. I can see McVey dusting off that game plan he used successfully before so Dallas better be prepared.

Most of the big runs against Dallas have not been up the middle, they have been off the tackle. The DT is double teamed and the TE takes out the DE. Then they pull a couple of linemen who get into the hole. Usually, there are more blockers at the point of attack than Cowboys defenders. The Bucs and Commanders used the same plays to get good yards on the ground. I think the Cowboys give this up in order to rush the passer.

The Rams do not have a very good running game and their OL is having problems right now. However, I expect they will try to run the football the same way the Bucs and Commanders did to keep the Cowboys pass rush honest.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we are not only getting gashed up the middle but we have no answer to outside runs too,DQ doesnt seem to care that much stopping the run.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
All good, our offense will carry the team.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Stephen A. brought this up on first take. So I went and looked it up and he is correct so maybe we should keep our feet on the ground.
That’s because we employ the worst middle linebacker in football in LVE.
It’s also because our draft guru “ Will McClay has ignored the position - drafted injured guys at the position – tried to go cheap at the position .

LVE looks like he’s on roller skates on most plays - he should be embarrassed into retirement.